Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cancellation fee when outside contract?

Options
  • 01-07-2019 9:20pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

I’m with Magnet Networks for broadband. We’ve been a customer for 13 years. We haven’t had a contract for years with them. It says in their terms that a cancellation fee of €60 applies.

This can’t be legal can it? I’m only aloud leave your service if I pay you???

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

You have had a contract with them, it has rolled over for 13 years because you did not cancel it. Whatever you agreed to in the t&cs of your original contract is what you have to abide by.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,518 ✭✭✭✭dudara

When your original contract expired, you were probably moved to a rolling contract. Ask them for a copy of the Ts&Cs.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,723 ✭✭✭AngryLips

Dav010 wrote: »
    You have had a contract with them, it has rolled over for 13 years because you did not cancel it. Whatever you agreed to in the t&cs of your original contract is what you have to abide by.

Unless it is an unfair term in a consumer contract. Most companies just require a month’s notice - is that what the €60 relates to?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,582 ✭✭✭✭Dav010

AngryLips wrote: »
    Unless it is an unfair term in a consumer contract. Most companies just require a month’s notice - is that what the €60 relates to?

CCPC recommend you check if contracts are ongoing and whether there is a cancellation fee. It doesn’t say it is unfair.

https://www.ccpc.ie/consumers/contracts-and-services/broadband-and-landlines/

Advertisement