Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Public speaking

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7 DaithiN

I had the same problem so had the terrible plan to study this not so sexy topic for 8 years. I never got over a fear of public speaking but I did learn to manage it, and ended up with a talk featured on TED.com, recording a standup comedy special and getting regularly paid to speak. Long story! If you have the time for a read I have a book on the topic called Do You Talk Funny that might save you a class :)

The most helpful thing I learned: Never bring visible notes with you. Once the audience sees you with paper in hand they subconsciously assume you are unprepared, nervous and unlikely to be worth their attention. Use the Memory palace technique to avoid ever going blank on stage. Google Joshua Foers TED talk on it.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,467 ✭✭✭✭Strumms

I see another poster recommended doing a presentation skills course. I’d back this 1000%. Not the kind of course I’d find perfectly useful ‘only’ online though which is a shame in the health fûck up we are enduring but if you can do one online AND in a classroom scenario in time... that took me from a nervous bumbling fûcker to seriously competent and actually receiving recognition from experienced peers and trainers as well as participants from the word go.

Advertisement