Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Great north run 2019

Options
  • 01-07-2019 9:54pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,275 ✭✭✭

Anyone here do this before, if so what's it like?
    Course, access to facilities, transport?
    Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,928 ✭✭✭✭rainbow kirby

I've done it twice - 2012 and 2014.

Hotels are holy batsh*t expensive - you may end up staying way out or on a camp bed at the university!

Toilet queues are long and slow at the start - I had to hop a fence to get into my pen in 2014 as a result.

There are buses at the start marked by race number that will transport your bags to South Shields. Buses then operate back to Newcastle city centre from South Shields (about 3.50 ish) or you can brave the queues and get the Metro.

Be a bit optimistic with your target time - the locals that do it every year definitely are! In 2014 I put 2:00 down as my target time and ended up in pen H, everyone around me was trying to do 11+ min/mile off the start.

Course is net downhill, but what is glossed over is that most of the first half is dragging uphill! It's not a particularly fast course imho.

• Registered Users Posts: 257 ✭✭colin32

I've done it twice and doing it again this year.

Depending on your starting pen itl could take up to 40 minutes to get over start line. Once your through the start its the usual jostling. Try to start on the left, as takes you through the underpass rather than over it

It's a challenging course and not usually a pb course. Around 11-12 mile there's a steep climb just before coming in to South shields. You come straight down the other side of it

Atmosphere is amazing especially the last mile. Better than Dublin marathon if you ask me

It's well organised getting through finish. Collect bag from bus, make sure you still have your race number, as they double check

Bus back to Newcastle City centre was £5 when I last did it in 2016. You can get a metro day pass but in 2016 the waiting time was 2 hours, while the buses leave every 10 minutes

As for accommodation I have stayed at university both times, only a 10 minute walk from start line and have till 6pm on the Sunday evening to check out. It's the cheapest accommodation you'll find and is booked through nirvana europe

If flying in to Newcastle get the metro from the airport. Its only couple of pound. If you do end up staying at university don't get metro to city centre. Think the nearest stop is haymarket

• Registered Users Posts: 6,197 ✭✭✭crisco10

Did it in 2016. It's one of the best races I have ever done, in terms of atmostphere and buzz etc (defo better than DCM). The Red Arrows gave a savage display at the finish area, the crowds were mental, and I got to do my warm down just behind Mo Farah!

What has been said previously is very true, the standard of the race isn't crazy high (amongst the masses), so don't be modest about what pen to start in. I had a predicted finish time of 1:30 (Pen B, just behind elites), finished a bit quicker, but was in the top 500 (out of ~40,000) I think.

Also, would agree, it's not a PB course really. the net downhill is misleading as there are lots of little ups and downs through the motorway underpasses etc. And most of the downhill comes over 200m at the end of mile 12. There are even hay bails at the bottom! Oh, and one last thing. It's easy to get excited when you reach the seafront at South Shields, but there is still a good mile to go at that point!

• Registered Users Posts: 420 ✭✭ISOP

I've done it the last three years. It is a super race but a bit overrated IMO. No way is it better than DCM. Plenty of support the first 3 miles, then you are out running along the dual carriageway for 7 miles with hardly any support, then it picks up again for the last 2 or 3 miles Insanely busy if you are not in the front pens at the start. It is quite undulating. Unless you know someone and have a place to stay, hotels will be a rip off.

Anyone doing this on Sunday? I'm heading over Saturday morning

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 602 ✭✭✭WayneEnterprise

colin32 wrote: »

Yep, looking forward to it!

Done my last run today. Now for the carb loading

Weather looks decent as well

• Registered Users Posts: 1,082 ✭✭✭AntrimGlens

colin32 wrote: »

Flying over saturday morning, running it with the OH. I'm booked into the physio tomorrow morning as I've managed to really hurt my IT band this week and really need a good rub down.

I'm looking forward to it tbh, just for the craic.

Advertisement