Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Brian? wrote: »
    I am curious about what drives Antifa and what drives people to attack Antifa.

You're not though.

You just want to tell people they're wrong.

I wish you could start being honest, because we could then have a decent conversation.

Instead you want to play this silly game where you pretend you're reasonable, but actually you're just telling everyone they're wrong.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

So the "10 year old" became a 24 year old woman who travels the US with her father who likes to dress as a Spartan and attend far right rallies.

Tired of being fooled yet?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 188 ✭✭MarquisDeSad

So Antifa are both comfortable middle class/wealthy kids and the rejects of society?

I honestly think people are projecting way too much on Antifa. They bundle together everything they dislike: wimps, thugs, fascists, transgender people, communists etc and use it as a reason to hate Antifa. When in reality they can’t be all of these things at once.

Our enemy are weak but also all powerful. Where have i heard that logic before.

Danzy wrote: »
    So the Chinese man with a hammer is a Nazi?

Is he a fascist in the way gay Vietnamese small scale reporters are?

He was hitting people with a hammer. It was taken off him and used on him. Fair enough imo.

The group in the bus were called American Guard. A far right group. Here is their leader.

https://twitter.com/lilsarg/status/1162750505484988418?s=19

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

OMM 0000 wrote: »
    You're not though.

You just want to tell people they're wrong.

I wish you could start being honest, because we could then have a decent conversation.

Instead you want to play this silly game where you pretend you're reasonable, but actually you're just telling everyone they're wrong.

I’m attempting to have a decent conversation by being honest and you’re being extremely hostile. I haven’t actually told anyone they were wrong unless I believe it to be true.

I don’t care if you want to engage with me, but please stop accusing me of being dishonest when I am not.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Our enemy are weak but also all powerful. Where have i heard that logic before.

Yep. It’s a tried and trusted way to stir up hatred of something “other”. The Nazis were great at it, but like most things they didn’t invent it. It’s as old as the hills.

they/them/theirs

I’m attempting to have a decent conversation by being honest and you’re being extremely hostile. I haven’t actually told anyone they were wrong unless I believe it to be true.

I don’t care if you want to engage with me, but please stop accusing me of being dishonest when I am not.

You're not trying to have an honest conversation.

We can all see it.

Let's stop talking to each other.

"10 year old" girl videos pepper spraying a random guy then spartan man tries (and fails) to smash a window.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

20Cent wrote: »
    So the "10 year old" became a 24 year old woman who travels the US with her father who likes to dress as a Spartan and attend far right rallies.

Tired of being fooled yet?

ECNWDl3XUAETVPh.jpg

Hoping his own daughter gets beaten up just to own the libs

One of life's winners right there icon14.png

• Advertisement

Billy Mays wrote: »
    ECNWDl3XUAETVPh.jpg

Hoping his own daughter gets beaten up just to own the libs

One of life's winners right there icon14.png

The extremes on the left and right are the same as each other.

Unstable, unreasonable, angry people.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

You're not trying to have an honest conversation.

We can all see it.

Let's stop talking to each other.

Yeah. I think that’s best.

Edit: actually **** that. If you don’t want to talk to me don’t leave with a parting insult. I am not being dishonest. When you retract that I’ll leave it be.

they/them/theirs

Not even close.

Again with the projection. Why is everyone you don’t agree with unreasonable? I disagree with plenty of reasonable people and respect them for it and vice versa. It’s called being a rational adult.

they/them/theirs

OMM 0000 wrote:

Not even close.

Again with the projection. Why is everyone you don’t agree with unreasonable? I disagree with plenty of reasonable people and respect them for it and vice versa. It’s called being a rational adult.

You see, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

You will even defend extremists (on the left and right) just so you can disagree.

Let's nip this in the bud right now:

You think extremists are reasonable people?

Or did you just want to disagree with whatever I said?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

correct !

• Registered Users Posts: 1,489 ✭✭✭SnakePlissken

Why the attack on their perceived lack of manliness?

You're projecting far too much into these taunts of Soyaboys and virgins. I'll try and express my own view on this; Antifa, are an absolute joke, they're violent, disruptive, arrogant but much more dangerously, universally speaking, they're thick as two posts. They do not deserve to be taken seriously, so what you see as attacks on their stature or sexual prowess also need not be taken seriously. It's humour, immature, lacking wit, but humour none the less.

Antifa are ridiculous, hence they deserve to be ridiculed.

You see, this is exactly what I'm talking about.

You will even defend extremists (on the left and right) just so you can disagree.

Let's nip this in the bud right now:

You think extremists are reasonable people?

Or did you just want to disagree with whatever I said?

I think some extremists are very reasonable people yes. Call me crazy, but I don’t like to label entire sections of society. It’s lazy.

they/them/theirs

You're projecting far too much into these taunts of Soyaboys and virgins. I'll try and express my own view on this; Antifa, are an absolute joke, they're violent, disruptive, arrogant but much more dangerously, universally speaking, they're thick as two posts. They do not deserve to be taken seriously, so what you see as attacks on their stature or sexual prowess also need not be taken seriously. It's humour, immature, lacking wit, but humour none the less.

Antifa are ridiculous, hence they deserve to be ridiculed.

Fair enough. I think there’s something more sinister than humour going on, but I can see your point.

they/them/theirs

I think some extremists are very reasonable people yes. Call me crazy, but I don’t like to label entire sections of society. It’s lazy.

I don't believe you really think that. It's obvious what's going on here:
    • You can't admit you're wrong
    • You just want to disagree

This is all very embarrassing.

• Advertisement

I don't believe you really think that. It's obvious what's going on here:
    • You can't admit you're wrong
    • You just want to disagree

This is all very embarrassing.

I do believe it. Some extremists are perfectly rational actors, some aren’t. It’s hardly a controversial position to take.

they/them/theirs

biko wrote: »

Ngo has proven himself to be a dishonest actor. Take his tweets with a large pinch of salt. Actually ignore them since he lies so much.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

20Cent wrote: »
    Ngo has proven himself to be a dishonest actor. Take his tweets with a large pinch of salt. Actually ignore them since he lies so much.

In your opinion, have you seen anything that suggests that certain folk in antifa acted horribly yesterday?

I do believe it. Some extremists are perfectly rational actors, some aren’t. It’s hardly a controversial position to take.

You're setting up a strawman now. The word being used was "unreasonable", not "irrational".

You're setting up a strawman now. The word being used was "unreasonable", not "irrational".

Ok. Some extremists are reasonable people.

It really depends on what type of extremists they are.

My point is that if you simply label people you don’t like as unreasonable, irrational etc. and don’t attempt to understand why they behave they do you’ll never learn anything from it.

It stifles debate too easily for my liking.

they/them/theirs

Ok. Some extremists are reasonable people.

It really depends on what type of extremists they are.

My point is that if you simply label people you don’t like as unreasonable, irrational etc. and don’t attempt to understand why they behave they do you’ll never learn anything from it.

It stifles debate too easily for my liking.

And another strawman.

I said extremists on the left and right are unreasonable, but you're trying to change this to "people I don't like" are unreasonable.

Are you able to be honest?

And another strawman.

I said extremists on the left and right are unreasonable, but you're trying to change this to "people I don't like" are unreasonable.

Are you able to be honest?

What strawman? The point holds. If you label extremists as unreasonable and don’t attempt to understand why they do what they do, you’ll never understand them.

they/them/theirs

Ironicname wrote: »
    In your opinion, have you seen anything that suggests that certain folk in antifa acted horribly yesterday?

Well every video he posts says x happens. Shortly afterwards a longer one with the context gets posted showing the opposite.

Either he posts stuff without checking it and is a crap "journalist" or he deliberately misconstrues the situation for his own narrative. Either way he's dishonest.

Haven't seen anything showing antifa behaving horribly no.

What strawman? The point holds. If you label extremists as unreasonable and don’t attempt to understand why they do what they do, you’ll never understand them.

I'll explain what a strawman is.

I said this:

"extremists on the left and right are unreasonable".

You changed that to this:

"you simply label people you don’t like as unreasonable".

That's called a strawman because you're changing my argument to something I never said, so I have to defend a position I don't believe.

You have serious honesty issues.

• Advertisement

Let me give some examples of extremists:

The IRA

Al Qaeda

Antifa

Black Lives Matter

The Alt-Right (actually alt-right, not just people on the right)

Neo-Nazis

Nazis

Which of these groups are "reasonable" in your opinion?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement