Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Tony EH wrote: »
    That's got nothing whatsoever with being a "proud white man".

You're proud of what exactly?

Proud myself,my achievements an how I live.
    Are you proud of yourself too?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Blueshoe wrote: »

That has nothing to do with your "whiteness".

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

notobtuse wrote: »
    Asinine response! Robert E Lee was a great military man, and is celebrated for military accomplishments. Abraham Lincoln originally picked him to lead the Union Army but unfortunately he chose to keep his allegiances to his state of Virginia. Find me one great person who doesn’t have things in their past that would be judged horrible by today’s standards. But that doesn’t mean we should eliminate from our history people who didn’t confirm to today’s values. The total picture should be part of the entire story. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were great US presidents and also owned slaves. Should they be eliminated from history, statues and paintings destroyed, removed from our currency… and do you think all their admirers are racists?

Robert E Lee wasn’t a great military man. He was a man who fought for the right to own other people. On top of that he was a traitor to his own country. You can dance around that if you want. But he lead an army, against his own government for the right to own slaves.

Why the **** would anyone put a statue up to that? Racists actually, no need to answer.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

That has nothing to do with your "whiteness".

To me it does Tony.

I’m very proud of myself and my children.

They could be purple and I’d feel the same. What does being white have to do with it?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Billy Mays wrote: »
    Hate to break it to you but fine people don't go to neo nazi/white supremacy rallies
    I doubt any of those who merely wished to protect the monument of Robert E Lee go to neo nazi/white supremacy rallies. Try again.
    And yet they did because that's exactly what the Unite The Right rally was

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Nope

It was a rally organised by and featuring speeches by known neo nazis and white supremacists.

I can post an image of the poster for the rally again if you so wish. I'm sure you've seen it before though
    I see you just ignore the many posts that indicate there were good AND bad people there. Don't be so obtuse.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Brian? wrote: »
    I’m very proud of myself and my children.

They could be purple and I’d feel the same. What does being white have to do with it?

Because i am white. If I was black I would be a proud black man.
    Stop trying to find issues where there are none.

You are not in Portland face to face with the proud boys. You are on a public forum in Ireland.

In terms of military achievement, Lee was a great man. But he was also a man of his time and like many men of his time had many a dubious attributes that would be out of place with our 21st century thinking.

As far as I'm concerned, and I'd be middle the roads politically in general, while being left leaning on a number of issues, I think the statue should have stayed and have said so before on this site.

If people are going to demand the removal of statues of historical figures like Robert E. Lee, then there's a long, long, list of other statues of people from the past with dubious beliefs that can be removed too and there'd be many a surprising figure in that list.

Honestly though, this thread should not get bogged down in another debate about statues.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

Nope

It was a rally organised by and featuring speeches by known neo nazis and white supremacists.

I can post an image of the poster for the rally again if you so wish. I'm sure you've seen it before though
    I see you just ignore the many posts that indicate there were good AND bad people there. Don't be so obtuse.
    Simple question

Would you go to a protest/rally for something you believe in if it was organised by neo nazis or white supremacists?

• Advertisement

To me it does Tony.

Why? Your skin colour has no bearing on your "achievements".

If I was black I would be a proud black man.

I'd ask the same question then.

Robert E Lee wasn’t a great military man. He was a man who fought for the right to own other people. On top of that he was a traitor to his own country. You can dance around that if you want. But he lead an army, against his own government for the right to own slaves.

Why the **** would anyone put a statue up to that? Racists actually, no need to answer.
    Lee was a great military man and it is commendable that he be celebrated for such.

He always falls in the top 10 US generals of history and is often ranked higher then Ulysses S. Grant, the general who defeated him.

https://www.neatorama.com/2010/04/27/top-ten-generals/

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,790 Mod ✭✭✭✭riffmongous

You are not in Portland face to face with the proud boys. You are on a public forum in Ireland.

But you are also Irish.. but not a proud Irishman because you are not proud of Ireland..

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Lee was a great military man and it is commendable that he be celebrated for such.

He always falls in the top 10 US generals of history and is often ranked higher then Ulysses S. Grant, the general who defeated him.

Lee hated the USA and wanted black people to be slaves. He was a traitor, a racist and a loser.

The only reason these statues were put up was as a reminder to the black people who was in charge.

Simple question

Would you go to a protest/rally for something you believe in if it was organised by neo nazis or white supremacists?
    The simple answer is no, but a more complex answer were if there were an issue involved that I was passionate about I might go, even though if was organized by neo nazis or white supremacists. But I'd be sure to wear a T-Shirt that said something like 'Hate And Violence Has No Place Here' and be sure I'd keep myself far away from that hateful lot.

20Cent wrote: »
    Lee hated the USA and wanted black people to be slaves. He was a traitor, a racist and a loser.

The only reason these statues were put up was as a reminder to the black people who was in charge.
    Do you get your history from little prizes included in a box of Cracker Jack?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

The simple answer is no, but a more complex answer were if there were an issue involved that I was passionate about I might go, even though if was organized by neo nazis or white supremacists. But I'd be sure to wear a T-Shirt that said something like 'Hate And Violence Has No Place Here' and be sure I'd keep myself far away from that hateful lot.

Lol.

Why? Your skin colour has no bearing on your "achievements".

You are a sad individual Tony. But I wish you well

Lol. Top comment

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Asinine response! Robert E Lee was a great military man, and is celebrated for military accomplishments. Abraham Lincoln originally picked him to lead the Union Army but unfortunately he chose to keep his allegiances to his state of Virginia. Find me one great person who doesn’t have things in their past that would be judged horrible by today’s standards. But that doesn’t mean we should eliminate from our history people who didn’t confirm to today’s values. The total picture should be part of the entire story. George Washington and Thomas Jefferson were great US presidents and also owned slaves. Should they be eliminated from history, statues and paintings destroyed, removed from our currency… and do you think all their admirers are racists?

Propagandist nonsense. Hitler did well strategically in the beginning, where's his statue?
    Should never eliminate from history and should never celebrate racists. He didn't conform to the values of his own day, in fact they'd a war over it.
    It's about celebrating them. Lee's own family were okay with it being taken down ffs.

I’m not trying to find issues. I’m trying to understand.

they/them/theirs

Good for him. He was fighting for an immoral cause. There’s a reason the Germans don’t put up statues of Rommel.

they/them/theirs

You are a sad individual Tony. But I wish you well

So, you've no answer then.

Quelle surprise.

Do you know when the statue was erected by any chance?

they/them/theirs

Propagandist nonsense. Hitler did well strategically in the beginning, where's his statue?
    Should never eliminate from history and should never celebrate racists. He didn't conform to the values of his own day, in fact they'd a war over it.
    It's about celebrating them. Lee's own family were okay with it being taken down ffs.

Honestly, if we're going down that route Matt, there's a lot of statues that can be pulled down.

We can start with this man.

wp1bdd1d95_06.jpg

Statues serve as historical reference points, both good and bad. Pulling them down won't eliminate racism one iota. In fact, it'll just encourage people to forget the more dubious parts of their history.

So, you've no answer then.

Quelle surprise.

Faux outrage to go along with your faux leather jacket

Do you know when the statue was erected by any chance?
    Didn’t have a box of Crack Jack available so had to look it up. It was commissioned in 1917 by members of the National Sculpture Society and dedicated in 1924. I understand it is still there because of a court ruling that local authorities in Charlottesville cannot remove two Confederate statues because they are war memorials protected by state law.

I think this one will be even harder for social justice warriors to get removed…
    270px-Stone_Mountain%2C_the_carving%2C_and_the_Train.jpeg

Faux outrage to go along with your faux leather jacket

You're just posting shit now. Go away.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

To me it does Tony.

That sounds pretty deluded...

The statues were put up during the Jim Crow era, they were entirely about race. You can try to diminish the other poster as much as you want but it doesn't change that fact.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement