Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Brian? wrote: »
    Also what’s the “form” you keep referring to? Are you implying I’m not debating fairly?

Yes. I am.

I haven't been fooled into anything. I see a masked gang going around and assaulting people who disagree with them wherever they see fit.

If you've not seen any footage of that then fair enough. I'd be surprised though.

I did find the Crowder video interesting and I did agree with the majority of the content. My opinion wasn't swayed by it but I found that he articulated points that I perhaps couldn't do as succinctly.

Just because something is interesting doesn't necessarily mean I agree with it btw. I find that it's best to listen to all sides. It can be quite interesting. Interesting does not equate to agreement. Sounds like anything you don't agree with is boring to you. Little echo-chamber esque

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ironicname wrote: »
    Yes. I am.

I haven't been fooled into anything. I see a masked gang going around and assaulting people who disagree with them wherever they see fit.

If you've not seen any footage of that then fair enough. I'd be surprised though.

I did find the Crowder video interesting and I did agree with the majority of the content. My opinion wasn't swayed by it but I found that he articulated points that I perhaps couldn't do as succinctly.

Just because something is interesting doesn't necessarily mean I agree with it btw. I find that it's best to listen to all sides. It can be quite interesting. Interesting does not equate to agreement. Sounds like anything you don't agree with is boring to you. Little echo-chamber esque

This is a circular argument. I’m going to bow out.

For anyone who cares. I agree with everything Trevor Noah says here, but still think it’s silly to call Antifa terrorists. It minimises the term terrorist and gives comfort to the fascists they counter protest.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/antifa-violence-trevor-noah-daily-show

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    This is a circular argument. I’m going to bow out.

For anyone who cares. I agree with everything Trevor Noah says here, but still think it’s silly to call Antifa terrorists. It minimises the term terrorist and gives comfort to the fascists they counter protest.

https://www.vanityfair.com/hollywood/2017/09/antifa-violence-trevor-noah-daily-show

For what it's worth, I do think the word terrorist is extreme. In much the same way when antifa call proud boys Nazis or white supremacists.

I'll gladly retract my description of antifa as terrorists and instead call them a terrible, violent mob.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

The Department of Homeland Security formally classified Antifa’s activities as “domestic terrorist violence” according to interviews and confidential law enforcement documents obtained by POLITICO. And FBI and DHS reports confirm they are actively monitoring “conduct deemed potentially suspicious and indicative of terrorist activity” by Antifa groups.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/01/antifa-charlottesville-violence-fbi-242235?_ga=2.258510282.1165616531.1566488201-995527392.1566488201

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

notobtuse wrote: »
    The Department of Homeland Security formally classified Antifa’s activities as “domestic terrorist violence” according to interviews and confidential law enforcement documents obtained by POLITICO. And FBI and DHS reports confirm they are actively monitoring “conduct deemed potentially suspicious and indicative of terrorist activity” by Antifa groups.

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/09/01/antifa-charlottesville-violence-fbi-242235?_ga=2.258510282.1165616531.1566488201-995527392.1566488201

Is this the same organisation oversees putting children in cages? TBF, when the WH is fascist I can see the justification.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Is this the same organisation oversees putting children in cages? TBF, when the WH is fascist I can see the justification.

Yeah some two year old article stating second hand information.
    If they had really designated them as terrorists we'd know all about it by now.

And here comes Matt to prove my point. If you can call the White House fascist, then antifa are by proxy against the democratically elected president of America.

Anyone whose politics they are against are fascist and that is why antifa are so odious. Their diktat can change depending on the day.

And here comes Matt to prove my point. If you can call the White House fascist, then antifa are by proxy against the democratically elected president of America.

Anyone whose politics they are against are fascist and that is why antifa are so odious. Their diktat can change depending on the day.

And here comes Ironic name something something..wah wah, etc. etc. phnar phnar, (am I doing it right?).

I agree we need hard rules for organisations to adhere to and be judged upon. I believe they are a movement of many sub groups. Being fearful of change and defending bigots isn't a good reason though.

20Cent wrote: »
    Yeah some two year old article stating second hand information.
    If they had really designated them as terrorists we'd know all about it by now.
    Too many words for you to read? "The FBI and DHS had no comment on that, or on any aspect of the assessments, saying they were not intended to be made public."

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Too many words for you to read? "The FBI and DHS had no comment on that, or on any aspect of the assessments, saying they were not intended to be made public."

But aren't the FBI liars? TBF, does anyone think the US gov is credible anymore? The poor country needs a revolution, peaceful mind. Trump needs mental help IMO.

• Advertisement

And here comes Ironic name something something..wah wah, etc. etc. phnar phnar, (am I doing it right?).

I agree we need hard rules for organisations to adhere to and be judged upon. I believe they are a movement of many sub groups. Being fearful of change and defending bigots isn't a good reason though.

Whatever you are doing, no, you are doing it wrong.

Being fearful of change? What are you talking about?

Defending bigots? Again, what are you talking about?

You do realise that the definition of a bigot is someone who is intolerant towards others who hold a different opinion?

Can you see some hypocrisy there?

• Registered Users Posts: 19,341 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

Antifa may be misguided and in some cases foolish. But calling them "terrorists" is just flat out silly.

Tony EH wrote: »
    Antifa may be misguided and in some cases foolish. But calling them "terrorists" is just flat out silly.

I kind of agree. A violent hate group is more accurate.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

even thats giving them too much credit .

a group of infantile idiots living under the protection of those they hate who attack in mobs people who have ideas they disagree with when they believe there will be no consequences

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

I prefer “occasionally violent, often silly geese”.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

mynamejeff wrote: »
    even thats giving them too much credit .

a group of infantile idiots living under the protection of those they hate who attack in mobs people who have ideas they disagree with when they believe there will be no consequences

Hey... Less of that Jeff. You are obviously an alt right fascist unless you condone the "good" violence

The FBI defines domestic terrorism as acts "perpetrated by individuals and/or groups inspired by or associated with primarily U.S.-based movements that espouse extremist ideologies of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature."

Antifa – Check

- - - - - - - -

The USA Patriot Act from 2001 defines domestic terrorism as a dangerous act occurring within U.S. territory that violates criminal laws in ways that are "intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping." That definition is also in the U.S. Government Code, the 53 title compilation of federal legal statutes.

Antifa – Check

The FBI defines domestic terrorism as acts "perpetrated by individuals and/or groups inspired by or associated with primarily U.S.-based movements that espouse extremist ideologies of a political, religious, social, racial, or environmental nature."

Antifa – Check

- - - - - - - -

The USA Patriot Act from 2001 defines domestic terrorism as a dangerous act occurring within U.S. territory that violates criminal laws in ways that are "intended to intimidate or coerce a civilian population; influence the policy of a government by intimidation or coercion; affect the conduct of a government by mass destruction, assassination or kidnapping." That definition is also in the U.S. Government Code, the 53 title compilation of federal legal statutes.

Antifa – Check

While I agree that antifa could technically be labeled as a terrorist group, I'd prefer to differentiate between them and the likes of Al Qaeda.

Otherwise we run the risk of falling into the same trap as the idiots who equate Trump/Proud Boys as fascists or white supremacists

Edit. That is in no way saying that it could ever be correct in saying trump or the proud boys are fascists or white supremacists. Probably a bad analogy.

My point is that antifa are horrendous but the word terrorist should not be bandied about in the way Nazi and bigot are.

Words should hold meaning

• Registered Users Posts: 83,602 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Antifa – Check

- - - - - - - -

Antifa – Check

Lol.

Hey... Less of that Jeff. You are obviously an alt right fascist unless you condone the "good" violence

Point out who's condoning violence or are you spinning yarns?

• Advertisement

Point out who's condoning violence or are you spinning yarns?

Ah Matt, that was obviously a light-hearted joke but while I have you, the refusal to condemn Antifas violent actions by certain posters (read back into the thread if you want to see who, I shan't name names) is tantamount to condoning.

Ah Matt, that was obviously a light-hearted joke but while I have you, the refusal to condemn Antifas violent actions by certain posters (read back into the thread if you want to see who, I shan't name names) is tantamount to condoning.

So just waffling. Fair enough.

So just waffling. Fair enough.

You have an amazing ability to glean meaning from words to suit your narrative.

I never said I was waffling. I said I was making a joke. A joke which was obvious.

You know this though. Yet you purposely try to demean and belittle my comments.

You have an amazing ability to glean meaning from words to suit your narrative.

I never said I was waffling. I said I was making a joke. A joke which was obvious.

You know this though. Yet you purposely try to demean and belittle my comments.

You have an amazing ability to glean meaning from words to suit your narrative. He never said he was demeaning or belittling you. This should be obvious. You know this.

Overheal wrote: »
    You have an amazing ability to glean meaning from words to suit your narrative. He never said he was demeaning or belittling you. This should be obvious. You know this.

Jesus. It's catching.

He said I was waffling. This was demeaning and belittled my comment.

While I agree that antifa could technically be labeled as a terrorist group, I'd prefer to differentiate between them and the likes of Al Qaeda.

Otherwise we run the risk of falling into the same trap as the idiots who equate Trump/Proud Boys as fascists or white supremacists

Edit. That is in no way saying that it could ever be correct in saying trump or the proud boys are fascists or white supremacists. Probably a bad analogy.

My point is that antifa are horrendous but the word terrorist should not be bandied about in the way Nazi and bigot are.

Words should hold meaning
    But right now being involved in domestic terrorism means nothing to law enforcement. There is nothing they can do to stop it and must rely on other crimes to prosecute only after it happens as the classification has no legal meaning. So even though they fit the bill of being a domestic terroristic organization… it means diddly squat. Legislation would be needed to give any teeth to it.

Jesus. It's catching.

He said I was waffling. This was demeaning and belittled my comment.

You were waffling though, so how was it demeaning and belittling to call it what it was?

Tissue?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Oh so they are secretly designated as terrorists not publicly. They'd be the easiest terrorists in the workd to catch but they aren't for some reason. This is qanon level bull****.

Overheal wrote: »
    You were waffling though, so how was it demeaning and belittling to call it what it was?

Tissue?

Good one.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote: »
    Oh so they are secretly designated as terrorists not publicly. They'd be the easiest terrorists in the workd to catch but they aren't for some reason. This is qanon level bull****.
    Read my post #4047. Not a lot of words in it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement