Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 199 ✭✭Il Fascista

Midlife wrote: »
    It's also really weird that given the awful groups in the world, people seem obsessed with hating antifa? Not offering an opinion on them but why do they annoy certian people so much?

They're the only political collective in the west that are openly violent with little condemnation from supposedly civil people like yourself, so stop feigning naivety. You clowns vilify the right for terrorists that none of them support, not even behind closed doors, yet many of you people support actual political violence once it's against anyone who doesn't submit wholly to your political order.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

batgoat wrote: »
    So the proud boys leader has stated the rallies are about brawling and wasting resources. They even have a ranking system around assaulting antifa members..

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/proud-boys-leader-admits-rallies-all-about-brawling-costing-millions/
    You have to admit it's a strategic and sound plan on the part of the Proud Boys. They choose Portlandia because the city seemingly supports and provides cover to the hate group of Antifa who are determined to shut down free speech they disagree with buy using intimidation in the form of physical violence and property damage. If Antifa and the people of Portland were serious about stopping the Proud Boys from coming to the leftist city then the answer is pretty simple... Antifa should not attend the next few protests and the people of Portland should keep away from it. People now come to see if there will be violence between a couple hundred Proud Boys and several thousand Antifa members. Let the Proud Boys march like a band of lost souls walking through the desert. They'll stop coming. But Antifa seemingly can't let common sense trump their hatred so the protests and the cost to the city will continue.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Brian? wrote: »
    No. I agree with their states aim of opposing fascism. Have made that clear many times
    I get it now. Actions don't means as much as words. Forgive me, but that's mighty pathetic on your part.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,840 ✭✭✭hetuzozaho

batgoat wrote: »
    So the proud boys leader has stated the rallies are about brawling and wasting resources. They even have a ranking system around assaulting antifa members..

https://nypost.com/2019/08/22/proud-boys-leader-admits-rallies-all-about-brawling-costing-millions/

Brawling and assaulting people is just not a good look - and some people on here not denouncing the Proud Boys - tut tut.

hetuzozaho wrote: »
    Brawling and assaulting people is just not a good look - and some people on here not denouncing the Proud Boys - tut tut.
    We'd be better off without the likes of hate groups like the Proud Boys or Antifa. I proposed a method that would likely dissuade the Proud Boys from getting the media and public's attention of their message. Odd, you'd think that would at least garner a 'like' from you. Tut tut.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

notobtuse wrote: »
    I get it now. Actions don't means as much as words. Forgive me, but that's mighty pathetic on your part.

What’s pathetic is continually trying to twist my words in order to score some points.

“Mighty pathetic” is an oxymoron by the way. I can never forgive that.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

We'd be better off without the likes of hate groups like the Proud Boys or Antifa. I proposed a method that would likely dissuade the Proud Boys from getting the media and public's attention of their message. Odd, you'd think that would at least garner a 'like' from you. Tut tut.

Sorry for not liking your posts.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Antifa are anti fascist because they counter protest at events involving fascist groups. Simple.

The DPRK isn’t democratic because they don’t hold free and fair elections. Simple.

Cognitive dissonance is rife in this post.

The DPRK isn't democratic because they don't hold free and fair elections. Simple.
    ANIFA isn't strictly anti-fascist if they attack and abuse defenseless reporters from minority backgrounds. Simple.

Now it makes sense why you are so keen to vilify Andy Ngo. To fit your narrative.

Sorry for not liking your posts.
    No need to be sorry. See how understanding those on the right really are? :)

No need to be sorry. See how understanding those on the right really are? :)

Oh I'm not into all that left/right rubbish.

You are on the right? What does that mean to you exactly?

• Advertisement

Oh I'm not into all that left/right rubbish.

You are on the right? What does that mean to you exactly?
    I support lower taxes, free market capitalism, a small government, strong national defense, free speech, gun rights, deregulation, and I'm socially conservative. Classic examples in the US of being on the Right. And being right... mind you.

I support lower taxes, free market capitalism, a small government, strong national defense, free speech, gun rights, deregulation, and I'm socially conservative. Classic examples in the US of being on the Right. And being right... mind you.

And what things from "the Left" would you agree with?

And what things from "the Left" would you agree with?
    I could get behind a single payer health care system as long as the government had as little involvement in it as possible.

You're turn... what things from "the Right" would you agree with?

I could get behind a single payer health care system as long as the government had as little involvement in it as possible.

You're turn... what things from "the Right" would you agree with?

Not to up on it all - but from your list - lower taxes and free speech sound good to me!

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

They're the only political collective in the west that are openly violent with little condemnation from supposedly civil people like yourself, so stop feigning naivety. You clowns vilify the right for terrorists that none of them support, not even behind closed doors, yet many of you people support actual political violence once it's against anyone who doesn't submit wholly to your political order.

supposedly civil?

you clowns?

you people support actual violence?

Interesting way to answer a question. You seem angry.

• Registered Users Posts: 900 ✭✭✭Midlife

Kimsang wrote: »
    Yes pretty much everyone.

I am being honest, you could try being smarter. I'm saying antifa has expanded the definition of fascist to include anti-globalism, sexism, homophobia and racism.

Could you cite their webpage and come up with something different?

So you're saying that according to the webpage you cited, everyone is facist?

That's what you're actually saying?

First EVERYONE who is anti-global, then just everyone. That's what you think you've cited?

Cognitive dissonance is rife in this post.

The DPRK isn't democratic because they don't hold free and fair elections. Simple.
    ANIFA isn't strictly anti-fascist if they attack and abuse defenseless reporters from minority backgrounds. Simple.

Now it makes sense why you are so keen to vilify Andy Ngo. To fit your narrative.

I haven’t vilified Andy Ngo, I am not even sure I’ve ever even passed comment on the guy. So please quote where I did or take it back.

Cognitive dissonance doesn’t mean what you think. It’s the uncomfortable feeling of holding 2 conflicting opinions. Not holding 2 conflicting opinions, which most people use it for. But then I don’t even do that.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Yes.

You care about American police force resources?

How do you feel about the latest budget and allocations? I presume you have read the report

McGarnigle looks to be making some big changes

They’re wasting taxpayer dollars. Not a good look for a ‘conservative’ organization.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

I haven’t vilified Andy Ngo, I am not even sure I’ve ever even passed comment on the guy. So please quote where I did or take it back.

I stand corrected you have not vilified Andy Ngo and I apologize.

But the point stands, your post shows was in reply to mine, where I was describing antifa as expanding their definition of fascist to include anti-globalists, racists,sexists and homophobes.

I see utter dishonesty in your reply.
    Antifa are anti fascist because they counter protest at events involving fascist groups. Simple.
    So you were arguing my point.

Strange considering your posts from the past.
    Interesting. Must be no clear pictures of anyone assaulting Ngo. Otherwise they would have been arrested as demonstrated above.
    Police have arrested 3 people for the assault on Ngo, so far. With an active investigation ongoing.
    As an experiment I googled Antifa and hit the news tab.
    Every story was about violence committed by Antifa except on which was about Trump’s comments.
    This included so called liberal main stream media outlets like CNN and the New York Times. That’s no free ride.
    I don't think anyone is justified in attacking anyone physically, ever. I'm a bit strange that way though.
    Violence is wrong.

I don't defend Antifa's methods in any way shape or form.

Do you now see the cognitive dissonance?

I stand corrected you have not vilified Andy Ngo and I apologize.

But the point stands, your post shows was in reply to mine, where I was describing antifa as expanding their definition of fascist to include anti-globalists, racists,sexists and homophobes.

I see utter dishonesty in your reply.

So you were arguing my point.

Strange considering your posts from the past.

Do you now see the cognitive dissonance?

Honestly, I’ve no idea what your point is. I have no uncomfortable feeling from holding opposing ideas. Do you accept you are using cognitive dissonance incorrectly?

I think you may be accusing me of hypocrisy. Is that the case.

Edit: definition of cognitive dissonance

DescriptionIn the field of psychology, cognitive dissonance is the mental discomfort experienced by a person who holds two or more contradictory beliefs, ideas, or values. This discomfort is triggered by a situation in which a person's belief clashes with new evidence perceived by the person

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

That’s patently untrue. Their definition of fascist is too broad for me admittedly, but it doesn’t include everyone they disagree with politically.

Oh Brian. You've done nothing but defend antifa. Please don't insult us by pretending to be open minded when it comes to your allegiance. You are clearly pro antifa

Ironicname wrote: »
    Oh Brian. You've done nothing but defend antifa. Please don't insult us by pretending to be open minded when it comes to your allegiance. You are clearly pro antifa

Why is your line of debate always to paint others as somehow dishonest? Why can’t you simply debate facts.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Why is your line of debate always to paint others as somehow dishonest? Why can’t you simply debate facts.

because if they did that they know they would lose.

because if they did that they know they would lose.

Lose what? My argument is that antifa are a demonstrably violent group. You don't have to champion trump, the proud boys, or anyone else that antifa oppose, in order to recognise that.

Is trump, or the proud boys as a whole, white supremacists and/or fascists? In order to be Anti fascist, you need a clear and definite definition of what a fascist is. I stand by my opinion that Antifa as a group, don't have that and instead, define anyone who isn't "liberal" or left leaning as fascists and have no issue using violence as a means to shut down those dissenting opinions.

****ty little snide comments don't mean that I am holding a losing viewpoint.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Remember there was a video that went viral during the abortion referendum. An English guy went to a march and produced a video to mock the vote yes people by editing bits of interviews.
    That guy is called Caolan Robertson and he worked for the far right particularly with tommy robinson. He has seen the light and come clean about how right wing grifters are trying to make far right views mainstream.
    They use whatever they can video edits to smear and intimidate those who challenge them. Very similar to what Andy Ngo is doing with antifa.

https://bylinetimes.com/2019/08/22/tommy-robinson-the-making-of-a-martyr/

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

20Cent wrote: »
    Remember there was a video that went viral during the abortion referendum. An English guy went to a march and produced a video to mock the vote yes people by editing bits of interviews.
    That guy is called Caolan Robertson and he worked for the far right particularly with tommy robinson. He has seen the light and come clean about how right wing grifters are trying to make far right views mainstream.
    They use whatever they can video edits to smear and intimidate those who challenge them. Very similar to what Andy Ngo is doing with antifa.

Never heard of him. Mean videos still don't justify mobs assaulting people on the street.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Never heard of him. Mean videos still don't justify mobs assaulting people on the street.

Thats the point of the article there are no mobs beating people in the streets. Carefully edited video is used to make it look that way while excusing far right crimes. Robinson is making a fortune from a similar grift. All the while bringing far right views into the mainstream.

Ironicname wrote: »
    Lose what? My argument is that antifa are a demonstrably violent group. You don't have to champion trump, the proud boys, or anyone else that antifa oppose, in order to recognise that.

Is trump, or the proud boys as a whole, white supremacists and/or fascists? In order to be Anti fascist, you need a clear and definite definition of what a fascist is. I stand by my opinion that Antifa as a group, don't have that and instead, define anyone who isn't "liberal" or left leaning as fascists and have no issue using violence as a means to shut down those dissenting opinions.

****ty little snide comments don't mean that I am holding a losing viewpoint.

So why not debate Antifa’s definition of fascism, I’ve agreed ready it’s too broad, instead of the “****ty little snide comments” implying I’m dishonest?

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

So why not debate Antifa’s definition of fascism, I’ve agreed ready it’s too broad, instead of the “****ty little snide comments” implying I’m dishonest?

Ah now in fairness i think the "****ty little snide comments" was directed at me. the problem with what you ask is that they dont want to define fascism at all. they would have to accept that it is real and on the streets. much each to bull**** about antifa.

• Advertisement

Ah now in fairness i think the "****ty little snide comments" was directed at me. the problem with what you ask is that they dont want to define fascism at all. they would have to accept that it is real and on the streets. much each to bull**** about antifa.

Indeed it was.

If Antifa define trump or the proud boys as fascists and therefore all supporters of either are legitimate targets to oppose violently then I completely disagree with them.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement