Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 83,603 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

JohnMc1 wrote: »
    Takes one to know one.

OoooOooooohhh

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Kimsang wrote: »
    I'll ask you one straight question, not loaded at all. Its the root of the issue for me and I believe other people.

You have admitted people were arrested that were Antifa for violently attacking Ngo.

You have also said you are resolutely anti-violence.

My question is this: Do you condemn Antifa?
    If not, why not?

I’ve explained already, several times. This isn’t a straight question, because Antifa are not a homogenous group. I condemn the people who attacked Mr. Ngo

Why is this so hard to understand? I’ve said it dozens of times now.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Brian? wrote: »
    I’ve explained already, several times. This isn’t a straight question, because Antifa are not a homogenous group. I condemn the people who attacked Mr. Ngo

Why is this so hard to understand? I’ve said it dozens of times now.

Please bear with me, i'm trying to get at something that illuminate the discussion.

Would you also not condemn other non-homogenous groups such as Proud boys and let's say the National party, or the British National party?

Please bear with me, i'm trying to get at something that illuminate the discussion.

Would you also not condemn other non-homogenous groups such as Proud boys and let's say the National party, or the British National party?
    do you condemn the tea party movement? Very similar boat to Antifa in disparity of organization, who got themselves involved in several violent incidents, then must the entire movement have been labeled terrorism?

Whatever you’re getting at get it on the table please, in case I’ve just completely misunderstood the angle you’re going for here.

Really, I would prefer not to. Can you get to the point.

What’s your point here?

Let me ask you clarifying questions:

If I do want to actually condemn Antifa, not just say I condemn the on an Internet forum. Where do I send my letter of objection? Who exactly to I raise the issue with? There is no leader or ruling council to take up my grievances with, should I book large ballroom and have them all in? Or are there certain key figures I should invite, if so who are they?

Do you see my point?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

They are actual groups with members and leadership, combined they'd be a part of a movement, but they are defined individual groups.

Really, I would prefer not to. Can you get to the point.
    What’s your point here?

Let me ask you clarifying questions:

If I do want to actually condemn Antifa, not just say I condemn the on an Internet forum. Where do I send my letter of objection? Who exactly to I raise the issue with? There is no leader or ruling council to take up my grievances with, should I book large ballroom and have them all in? Or are there certain key figures I should invite, if so who are they?

Do you see my point?

Yes I see your point; your condemnation is for me, because I am curious based on things you've previously said.

When violence occurs in a group such as Antifa, other members within that group are usually quick to call it out and denounce it.

Just look at the BNP or the Proud Boys.

But when Antifa does it, none of their members or supporters denounce Antifa. Suddenly they are not a homogenous group. That same defence would not work for BNP and rightfully so.

It doesn’t work for BNP and the Proud Boys because they are legit organizations. Fck, Proud Boys have a gd uniform and dress code. There isn’t a “Proud Boys” ideological movement.

Yes I see your point; your condemnation is for me, because I am curious based on things you've previously said.

When violence occurs in a group such as Antifa, other members within that group are usually quick to call it out and denounce it.

Just look at the BNP or the Proud Boys.

But when Antifa does it, none of their members or supporters denounce Antifa. Suddenly they are not a homogenous group. That same defence would not work for BNP and rightfully so.

I’m lost. The BNP and Proud Boys are Nona Fide groups, they have hierarchies, leaders, rules and even a uniform.

Antifa don’t.

they/them/theirs

Unfortunately anarchy just isn’t a group - kinda by its nature.

Now when it gets organized and starts calling itself eg the Weathermen or openly declares war on the State they will have reached well into that empass.

I keep referencing their example because it seems to so perfectly encapsulate the distinction between terrorism and ideology when you compare and contrast Antifa with WUO - the Antifa would be more akin to the SDS movement.

https://www.fbi.gov/history/famous-cases/weather-underground-bombings

• Advertisement

I’m lost. The BNP and Proud Boys are Nona Fide groups, they have hierarchies, leaders, rules and even a uniform.

Antifa don’t.

I would accept your defence that they were not a homogenous group, if antifa members and their supporters openly denounced the violence against people like Ngo, but they don't.

They continual lack of denouncement only fuels their support of violence such as this.

How about the EDL? It could be much more described like a network like Antifa. When they commit violence, would you say it is a homogenous group so you don't condemn them? They are only in favour of defence.. its in the name :pac:

I would accept your defence that they were not a homogenous group, if antifa members and their supporters openly denounced the violence against people like Ngo, but they don't.

They continual lack of denouncement only fuels their support of violence such as this.

How about the EDL? It could be much more described like a network like Antifa. When they commit violence, would you say it is a homogenous group so you don't condemn them? They are only in favour of defence.. its in the name :pac:

See one is a hate movement the other anti-hate, that's the big difference IMO, although it does not excuse violence. Any antifa committing violence is just giving bigots like Trump and the Proud Boys fuel.

Several posters on the thread, DNC POTUS hopefuls, left wing CNN Anchors, etc. have condemned the Andy Ngo attack, and I feel with some light sleuthing we would uncover several Antifa-sympathetic groups that do the same. I guess what I’m asking is what degree of condemnation is necessary for it to ‘count’ and who has to be the one to deliver the message?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

If I claim I'm a stable genius, does that make me a stable genius?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

Overheal wrote: »
    Several posters on the thread, DNC POTUS hopefuls, left wing CNN Anchors, etc. have condemned the Andy Ngo attack, and I feel with some light sleuthing we would uncover several Antifa-sympathetic groups that do the same. I guess what I’m asking is what degree of condemnation is necessary for it to ‘count’ and who has to be the one to deliver the message?

I would be happy if they put up on the the rose city antifa website that they condemn the violence committed against Ngo, and hope that no further antifa members would commit violence like this.

This page does not exist. They need themselves to denounce it. Some leader from Antifa telling their members not to commit further violence, publicly.
    You understand why this doesn't exist? Because they condone the actions that were commited that day against Ngo.

I appreciate all the people on the left, and right, who call out these horrible acts of violence for what they are. For too long there has been too many double standards.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

See one is a hate movement the other anti-hate, that's the big difference IMO, although it does not excuse violence. Any antifa committing violence is just giving bigots like Trump and the Proud Boys fuel.

Bigots. People who aren't tolerant to others beliefs. Look in the mirror.

I hope you guys see why its so important for an organization, even one as loosely knitted as Antifa, denounces the violence against Andy Ngo.

Its the same reason it was important that Muslims condemn the attacks on Charlie Hebdo.

To stop further violence from happening.

Ironicname wrote: »
    Bigots. People who aren't tolerant to others beliefs. Look in the mirror.

That's your input, go on the attack?
    I'm not tolerant of any racists or the newly acceptable Alt Right, no.
    I hope you guys see why its so important for an organization, even one as loosely knitted as Antifa, denounces the violence against Andy Ngo.

Its the same reason it was important that Muslims condemn the attacks on Charlie Hebdo.

Did you apologise for the shootings in El Passo or the Christchurch killings?

• Registered Users Posts: 11,042 ✭✭✭✭martingriff

It will not thugs will be thugs and anyone can use violence and say it for x or y does not mean that everyone who is associated with people like them (eg. muslims) have to public condemn straight away or be tarnished with been a sympathizers. Did all Irish people rush out a publicaly declare what the IRA did was wrong with a bombing

It’s not a matter of you accepting it. It’s a matter of fact, not belief.

Maybe that’s also because they aren’t a coherent group. Who’s going to come out and denounce someone?

Don’t the EDL have a single leader?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

That's your input, go on the attack? I'm not tolerant of any racists or the newly acceptable Alt Right, no.

It wasn't an attack. I just found it funny that you used the word bigot while clearly being one yourself.

The Muslim Pope did?

Recent article(14 hours) from Vox very strange indeed insinuating the left must arm themselves, because of the rise of the far right.

Authored by Kim Kelly(who also has contributions for NYT/Guardian/WaPo)

https://www.vox.com/first-person/2019/7/1/18744204/guns-gun-control-anarchism
    And people carp on Andy Ngo?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

notobtuse wrote: »
    And people carp on Andy Ngo?

Sorry what dotted line are you drawing there

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Former veteran went undercover in "patriot prayer" his video will be used in the court case against them Andy Ngo should be sweating.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2019/08/26/27039560/undercover-in-patriot-prayer-insights-from-a-vancouver-democrat-whos-been-working-against-the-far-right-group-from-the-inside

20Cent wrote: »
    Former veteran went undercover in "patriot prayer" his video will be used in the court case against them Andy Ngo should be sweating.

https://www.portlandmercury.com/blogtown/2019/08/26/27039560/undercover-in-patriot-prayer-insights-from-a-vancouver-democrat-whos-been-working-against-the-far-right-group-from-the-inside
    Now there’s a Patriot.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Overheal wrote: »
    Now there’s a Patriot.

He won't have to pray either lol
    All coming out now.

https://twitter.com/_BvdM/status/1165539713190649856?s=19

I'm sure the regular crowd will be screaming about doctored videos. NOT!!!!

Regardless, if the ugly reports are true about the Proud Boys then they should be taken to task... JUST LIKE ANTIFA.

notobtuse wrote: »
    I'm sure the regular crowd will be screaming about doctored videos. NOT!!!!

Regardless, if the ugly reports are true about the Proud Boys then they should be taken to task... JUST LIKE ANTIFA.

This wasn’t the proud boys at all?

As for video mentioned it’s being admitted as legal evidence, so let the court sort it out.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's not all mindless people looking for a fight. I'd image there are some anti fascists in their number.

Statistically probable.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement