Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Ironicname wrote: »
    On a side note, it the word "grifter" popular now on the "liberal" side these days. I thought it was just some annoying pricks that used it on this site but seeing more people who would be modern "liberals" using it.

It's even more annoying than the word snowflake.

(Cue people calling me "triggered"... Ugh... I hate certain aspects ofthe modern lexicon)
    It's normal in politics today to weaponize words. It might be disingenuous and lazy, but it is effective.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

On a side note, it the word "grifter" popular now on the "liberal" side these days. I thought it was just some annoying pricks that used it on this site but seeing more people who would be modern "liberals" using it.

It's even more annoying than the word snowflake.

(Cue people calling me "triggered"... Ugh... I hate certain aspects ofthe modern lexicon)

if you can think of a better word for these people then let us hear it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

if you can think of a better word for these people then let us hear it.

They are all different people with different outlooks. What unites most of the ones I see mentioned here erroneously as grifters are they are conservative

Steven Crowder - Conservative Entertainer.
    Ben Shapiro - Conservative Political Analyst
    Alex Jones - entertaining nutjob who is right more often than you think.

I could go on but I have no doubt that you don't really care and asked that question hypothetically for the sake of it.

They are all different people with different outlooks. What unites most of the ones I see mentioned here erroneously as grifters are they are conservative

Steven Crowder - Conservative Entertainer.
    Ben Shapiro - Conservative Political Analyst
    Alex Jones - entertaining nutjob who is right more often than you think.

I could go on but I have no doubt that you don't really care and asked that question hypothetically for the sake of it.

Alex Jones is a total grifter. Its all about the money for him.

Alex Jones is a total grifter. Its all about the money for him.

I assume you consider Vox and their writers grifters too then?

• Advertisement

I assume you consider Vox and their writers grifters too then?

do they shill products or ask their readers to donate to gofundmes? You really need to look up what the word grifter means. you seem very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

do they shill products or ask their readers to donate to gofundmes? You really need to look up what the word grifter means. you seem very confused.

Yes

SexBobomb wrote: »

so they sell a shirt with their name on it. It is not the sole reason for their existence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,170 ✭✭✭Kimsang

Grifter: someone who engages in small or petty-scale swindling.

So what would you call Christine Blasey Ford who engaged in huge scale political swindling? Grifter seems too light.

https://ie.gofundme.com/help-christine-blasey-ford

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Kimsang wrote: »
    Grifter: someone who engages in small or petty-scale swindling.

So what would you call Christine Blasey Ford who engaged in huge scale political swindling? Grifter seems too light.

https://ie.gofundme.com/help-christine-blasey-ford
    The same Blasey Ford who still needs a security detail because going public actively put her in danger? That isn't cheap, not sure if she's been able to even go back to lecturing.

• Advertisement

so they sell a shirt with their name on it. It is not the sole reason for their existence.

Ben Shapiro isn't selling products, Candace Owens isn't, Crowder sells a newsletter and access to extra content as far as I know, mostly to keep the lights on and continue as independent media, surely you don't just want millionaires and big corporations providing your news for you ?? Lots of newspapers have a pay wall are they all liars and "grifters" (uugh) as well ? You keep changing the definition

batgoat wrote: »
    The same Blasey Ford who still needs a security detail because going public actively put her in danger? That isn't cheap, not sure if she's been able to even go back to lecturing.
    That has to be an astounding security team for $1 million.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

notobtuse wrote: »
    It's normal in politics today to weaponize words. It might be disingenuous and lazy, but it is effective.

Like calling Antifa Fascists?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Perhaps you should look up the word. Unless you have a different definition than has been explained above.

And I am a little confused. Confused because you seem to be insisting that being a grifter doesn't apply to those whose ideas you support.

It'd be much easier for you to admit that it, much like the word fascist, is used by mostly "the left" as an insult to people whose politics or ideas they dislike.

Shapiro/Crowder:. Grifters because they ask their readership for donations and sell t-shirts/mugs etc

Vox/vice/guardian: not grifters although they ask their readership for donations and sell t/shirts/mugs etc.

Proud Boys: Fascists because they are a group that oppose Antifa or any other group shutting down conservative voices on campuses, they promote western culture as the best in the world and have certain questionable members who engage in violence

Antifa: not fascists because they are a group that oppose their definition of Fascism by any group, promote leftist values and communist/Marxist views and have protest (often violently) against anyone holding opposing views. They have certain questionable members who engage in violence.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Goebbels was skilled in it. We call it propaganda. Being happening since time began. Blame minorities. Label minorities certain names to disassociate broader society from them. Accuse and condemn others for doing what you yourself do etc. Sound familiar?

Goebbels was skilled in it. We call it propaganda. Being happening since time began. Blame minorities. Label minorities certain names to disassociate broader society from them. Accuse and condemn others for doing what you yourself do etc. Sound familiar?

Yeah I agree, like calling conservatives fascists and racists. And vice versa.

Brian? wrote: »
    Like calling Antifa Fascists?
    Yes… just as much as the label is applied to those they claim to oppose.

Yeah I agree, like calling conservatives fascists and racists. And vice versa.

No. Calling somebody something based on their action and views is as clear and honest as you can get.
    Scaremongering and lying is very different.

Yeah...like calling trump and the proud boys fascists and racists...

No. Calling somebody something based on their action and views is as clear and honest as you can get.

Beating up journalists and people who have different political views to yours as well as shutting down speeches on college campuses because you dont agree with them sounds like fascistic behaviour to me.
    Oh and the whole Trump is a Russian agent story, that wasn't lying or scaremongering of course

• Advertisement

Yeah...like calling trump and the proud boys fascists and racists...

Exactly.

Calling Mexicans rapists and murderers with the defence, well some are is the same as calling Republican senators closet gays and people who pay for their mistresses to have abortions, well some do.

Beating up journalists and people who have different political views to yours as well as shutting down speeches on college campuses because you dont agree with them sounds like fascistic behaviour to me.
    Oh and the whole Trump is a Russian agent story, that wasn't lying or scaremongering of course

I disagree with such tactics.

Trump jnr met with an agent representing the Putin government to discuss dirt on Clinton also we know Russia has interfered online.

Trump jnr met with an agent representing the Putin government to discuss dirt on Clinton also we know Russia has interfered online.

Interfering in an election is a jailable offence and theres plenty of support to get Trump out of office, why hasn't anything happened ? Im not even a Trump guy just cant stand the double standards at play.

Whereas Clinton actually funneled money to Russian agents in order to come up with a fake dossier intended to take down here political opponent and then lawfully elected president?

Your tactics are just repeating lies then?

(Before you ask, it's the inference that trump was talking about all Mexicans when it was clear as day he was taking about Mexican illegal immigrants)

Interfering in an election is a jailable offence and theres plenty of support to get Trump out of office, why hasn't anything happened ? Im not even a Trump guy just cant stand the double standards at play.

You can't indite a sitting President. He'll likely get hit with obstruction should he lose next term.

Whereas Clinton actually funneled money to Russian agents in order to come up with a fake dossier intended to take down here political opponent and then lawfully elected president?

Really? Link? Also, So what?

Your tactics are just repeating lies then?

(Before you ask, it's the inference that trump was talking about all Mexicans when it was clear as day he was taking about Mexican illegal immigrants)

You are telling yarns. Show one lie never mind lies?
    So was I. It makes absolutely no difference. Mexican immigrants are due the same respect and any other Mexican I would have thought.

The irony is, that if Antifa and certain posters here focussed on the stuff trump actually was doing wrong rather than misrepresenting quotes, making up scenarios and flat out lying, there'd be a good chance he would be dead in the water come 2020.

Instead, all they are doing is making people sick of hearing their ****e and ruining any shred of credibility they might have had.

They are trump's biggest chance and ally when it comes to his campaign

• Advertisement

You can't indite a sitting President. He'll likely get hit with obstruction should he lose next term.

He can be impeached though can't he ? Why haven't they impeached him if they have enough to charge him in relation to rigging an election with Russia ?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement