Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

SexBobomb wrote: »
    Its actually like we've gone back in time when the church in this country would come out with these moral judgements on people and art (movies and books) and have demonstrations and get things censored, thats what you remind me of.

No one is censoring him.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

20Cent wrote: »
    No one is censoring him.

Didn't say you are, some guy makes a bad joke and now he's a "grifter" (puke) , don't take anything he says seriously he's undeserving of being listened to he made a bad joke. I just don't get your reasoning.

Didn't say you are, some guy makes a bad joke and now he's a "grifter" (puke) , don't take anything he says seriously he's undeserving of being listened to he made a bad joke. I just don't get your reasoning.

That's not what censorship is, it's called giving an opinion.

That's not what censorship is, it's called giving an opinion.

The church censored people, they had a censorship board. I didn't say you were censoring people please try to keep up.

The church censored people, they had a censorship board. I didn't say you were censoring people please try to keep up.

Ok who is censoring him then?
    That was the original question.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

thats what you remind me of.

in what way do our opinions remind you of church censorship?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Thats not much of an answer really is it ?

Isn't it. The man pretends to be an intellectual who spouts nonsense. So much nonsense I am going to do a breakdown of everything he's wrong about because I haven't got all year.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

So far the only reason he shouldn't be listened to is because he made a risqué joke ?

No. I'd excuse that as poor taste if he was right most of the time, but he isn't.

they/them/theirs

in what way do our opinions remind you of church censorship?
    This faux moral authority you seem to have over an non-issue

Ok who is censoring him then?
    That was the original question.

No, The original question is why is he considered a grifter? and the reason you gave was because of a bad joke he made

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

This faux moral authority you seem to have over an non-issue

what faux moral authority would this be? we are just people expressing opinions. why do you have such an issue with that?

what faux moral authority would this be? we are just people expressing opinions. why do you have such an issue with that?

Thats what Im asking you when you shoot down these commentators ? There just expressing opinions, I guess Im of the opinion its more important to argue the issue and not the person making the argument. If you disagree with him and his conclusions on things thats cool but you just go straight to he's a bad guy he made a joke I didn't like so his argument must be wrong. I don't think we're going to agree on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

So again, as I stated when I mentioned the article, the usual suspects would bring us around in a circular argument as they wouldn't like/appreciate its content.

But for those who DONT discount everything Carl Benjamin says, it is quite interesting.

I'm not asking anyone to take it as gospel or to deride it, I just think it's best if those who aren't willing/don't want to listen to it, just ignore it and those who want to listen, do.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,508 ✭✭✭✭silverharp

I think the important point is that antifa isn't a political movement, its more like a lifestyle following, a bit like civil war reenactors

A belief in gender identity involves a level of faith as there is nothing tangible to prove its existence which, as something divorced from the physical body, is similar to the idea of a soul. - Colette Colfer

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Thats what Im asking you when you shoot down these commentators ? There just expressing opinions, I guess Im of the opinion its more important to argue the issue and not the person making the argument. If you disagree with him and his conclusions on things thats cool but you just go straight to he's a bad guy he made a joke I didn't like so his argument must be wrong. I don't think we're going to agree on this.

Feel free to summarise his points, if you think they were good, you should be able to put them into your own. Rather than expecting us to watch his YouTube channel.

No, The original question is why is he considered a grifter? and the reason you gave was because of a bad joke he made

He's a grifter in my opinion because he started off claiming to be left wing, the a classic liberal (pointless term) and ran for election with UKIP (winning 2% of the vote). His "opinions are clearly insincere and based on what he thinks his audience want to hear. He basically will say whatever will get him the most attention or clicks and therefore cash.

A grifter in other words.

batgoat wrote:
    Feel free to summarise his points, if you think they were good, you should be able to put them into your own. Rather than expecting us to watch his YouTube channel.

I think you'll find that I am not, did not, and do not expect you to watch his YouTube channel.

I only mentioned it because a lot of people might.

I specifically said some people should ignore it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Ironicname wrote: »
    I think you'll find that I am not, did not, and do not expect you to watch his YouTube channel.

I only mentioned it because a lot of people might.

I specifically said some people should ignore it.

And I'm merely asking the other poster to elaborate on his supposedly good points.

batgoat wrote:
    And I'm merely asking the other poster to elaborate on his supposedly good points.

Why? Honestly, why? The videos are there for you to look at yourself. If you don't like them, ignore them. If someone else thinks that ignoring his videos based on a crude rape joke is silly, I'd have to agree.

Carl Benjamin is a divisive figure. But to call him a "grifter" (ugh), or unreliable or anything else is up to your own interpretation.

You don't have to like him. But when asked why not, the first responses were "he said a rape thing I didn't like".

A lot of people, from all sides, have at one time or another said things I didn't like. It doesn't mean I disregard their whole body of work. I mean I hated inglorious basterds but that doesn't mean I now hate pulp fiction.

Carl Benjamin won't appeal to all. But he does back up his arguments in detailed videos. You might not like his message but you are free to ignore it.

batgoat wrote:

Oh and plus, because of your blatant opposition to his view, the plus points will undoubtedly be minus points from your view. Thus the circular argument

• Advertisement

Why? Honestly, why? The videos are there for you to look at yourself. If you don't like them, ignore them. If someone else thinks that ignoring his videos based on a crude rape joke is silly, I'd have to agree.

Carl Benjamin is a divisive figure. But to call him a "grifter" (ugh), or unreliable or anything else is up to your own interpretation.

You don't have to like him. But when asked why not, the first responses were "he said a rape thing I didn't like".

A lot of people, from all sides, have at one time or another said things I didn't like. It doesn't mean I disregard their whole body of work. I mean I hated inglorious basterds but that doesn't mean I now hate pulp fiction.

Carl Benjamin won't appeal to all. But he does back up his arguments in detailed videos. You might not like his message but you are free to ignore it.

You do get that he is rarely correct? He often states opinion as fact and presents extremely skewed historical parallels. In other words, he’s often wrong. It’s not about liking or disliking him, I don’t agree he has many, if any, salient points to make.

He just happens to be a horrible man as well.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    You do get that he is rarely correct? He often states opinion as fact and presents extremely skewed historical parallels. In other words, he’s often wrong. It’s not about liking or disliking him, I don’t agree he has many, if any, salient points to make.

You could say the same about cnn, vox, Colbert, just name your poison.
    Brian? wrote:
    He just happens to be a horrible man as well.

That's your opinion, which I disagree with. I find Jess Phillips to be more odious.

So again, as I stated when I mentioned the article, the usual suspects would bring us around in a circular argument as they wouldn't like/appreciate its content.

But for those who DONT discount everything Carl Benjamin says, it is quite interesting.

I'm not asking anyone to take it as gospel or to deride it, I just think it's best if those who aren't willing/don't want to listen to it, just ignore it and those who want to listen, do.

If it’s interesting, you believe it has some validity. What is it you find interesting exactly?

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    If it’s interesting, you believe it has some validity. What is it you find interesting exactly?

Why do you care Brian? You are one of the people I would have advised not to listen. You have no interest. You just want to pick apart arguments in favour of antifa and claim middle ground.

There are thousands upon thousands of videos from Carl Benjamin and you've made your mind up about him as someone you find disreputable. I have neither the inclination or the will to bother changing your mind.

People who are interested in not listening to sound bites of "triggered", "fascist" or "grifter" might find it interesting. People like you, won't.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Why do you care Brian? You are one of the people I would have advised not to listen. You have no interest. You just want to pick apart arguments in favour of antifa and claim middle ground.

There are thousands upon thousands of videos from Carl Benjamin and you've made your mind up about him as someone you find disreputable. I have neither the inclination or the will to bother changing your mind.

People who are interested in not listening to sound bites of "triggered", "fascist" or "grifter" might find it interesting. People like you, won't.

Did you not get a red card the other day?

Blueshoe wrote:
    Did you not get a red card the other day?

Just an infraction apparently.

If you’re only preaching to the choir why bother posting? If you believe Benjamin is making a good argument, then everyone should listen.

I’d like a preview though. I find it difficult to listen to him.

Just to be clear, I’m not particularly interested in what he has to say. I’m interested in why you recommend the video. I believe you can be saved.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    If you’re only preaching to the choir why bother posting? I’d you believe Benjamin is making a good argument, then everyone should listen.

Because some people may have missed it.

Never said I was preaching to any choir. I just have no interest in preaching or attempting to convert those who don't want to listen.
    Brian? wrote:
    I’d like a preview though. I find it difficult to listen to him.

Well that's too bad.
    Brian? wrote:
    Just to be clear, I’m not particularly interested in what he has to say. I’m interested in why you recommend the video. I believe you can be saved.

Oh I know you aren't. I've explained multiple times why I recommended the video. I'd rather not be saved by people like yourself thanks.

Because some people may have missed it.

Never said I was preaching to any choir. I just have no interest in preaching or attempting to convert those who don't want to listen.

Well that's too bad.

Oh I know you aren't. I've explained multiple times why I recommended the video. I'd rather not be saved by people like yourself thanks.

So you post for the benefit of
    People you agree with? You should probably post somewhere else.

It’s a pity you don’t want to be saved. You claim the middle ground and post videos by extremists. I never claimed the middle ground, I find it bizarre you say this.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Brian? wrote:
    So you post for the benefit of People you agree with? You should probably post somewhere else.

That's not what I said. Multiple times. And I don't need or want your advice.
    Brian? wrote:
    It’s a pity you don’t want to be saved. You claim the middle ground and post videos by extremists. I never claimed the middle ground, I find it bizarre you say this.

Typical posting style there. Recommending a video by Carl Benjamin is now "posting videos by extremists"?

Good luck.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement