Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

20Cent wrote: »
    A definition of political extremism.
    Sounds like ukip and the proud boys.

Government's Counter Extremism Strategy, 2015: ' Extremism is the vocal or active opposition to our shared values. These include democracy and the rule of law, mutual respect and tolerance of other faiths and beliefs.

And you can say antifa scum aren't political extremists is baffling from what you posted above.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    A definition of political extremism.
    Sounds like ukip and the proud boys.

Government's Counter Extremism Strategy, 2015: ' Extremism is the vocal or active opposition to our shared values. These include democracy and the rule of law, mutual respect and tolerance of other faiths and beliefs.

And you can say antifa scum aren't political extremists is baffling from what you posted above.

Some of Antifa are political extremists. I don't have a problem with that. I have a problem with the violence.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Tasfasdf wrote: »

Never said they weren't extreme think they are.
    Someone asked for a definition and why carl benjamin is considered extreme I answered it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Brian? wrote:
    Again. I told you already I don't view the term extremist as a pejorative. This is going in circles. I have answered all of this at least twice. You either didn't read the responses or are ignoring them.

My apologies Brian. I genuinely missed the posts where you explained. I've looked back and seen them now.

I honestly thought you had dodged the question last week but you did indeed explain your position.

My apologies again.

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

• Advertisement

biko wrote: »
    snipped video

Said they are a**holes.
    Their job is to facilitate peaceful protest not take a side.

20Cent wrote:
    Said they are a**holes. Their job is to facilitate peaceful protest not take a side.

I don't see anything wrong with what they did there.

Ironicname wrote: »
    I don't see anything wrong with what they did there.

They used their sirens to drown out the freedom of speech of the protesters.

20Cent wrote:
    They used their sirens to drown out the freedom of speech of the protesters.

Hahahahaha. Good one

The left doesn't support freedom of speech, everyone knows that.

If you could, would you ban right-wing posters from this forum?

• Advertisement

Making stuff up?

I bet you have a line regarding freedom of speech, everyone does.

Wouldn't ban right wing posters they are comedy gold.

My apologies Brian. I genuinely missed the posts where you explained. I've looked back and seen them now.

I honestly thought you had dodged the question last week but you did indeed explain your position.

My apologies again.

Thanks

they/them/theirs

The entire "left"? Everyone from Social Democrats to Anarchists?

That's quite a broad spectrum of people to tar with the same brush.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

Private websites don't have a requirement to allow complete freedom of speech.

I doubt "cancel culture"and deplatformers are fringe left.
    They see themselves as concerned people protecting their fellows from dangerous influences.

The likes of Kevin Harte and Mary Bono wasn't cancelled by the extreme left.

batgoat wrote: »
    Private websites don't have a requirement to allow complete freedom of speech.
    Thank you. This is how capitalism works, and should work. If I provide a service I can have terms and conditions added to the service.

However, when a court tell Trump he cannot block people on Twitter it seems the justice system disagrees with you. The corporation entangles with the government.

Thank you. This is how capitalism works, and should work. If I provide a service I can have terms and conditions added to the service.

However, when a court tell Trump he cannot block people on Twitter it seems the justice system disagrees with you. The corporation entangles with the government.

Trump can't block people in twitter because citizens have the right to read publications from the president and to respond.

We;'re not talking about the Presidential account but of the personal account.

Funnily enough Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez also is affected by the same court order but keeps saying no

Funnily enough Alexandria Ocasio-Cortez also is affected by the same court order but keeps saying no

He is the president so his personal account is also the presidents account.
    AOC isn't the president.

All that clear?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

If a president records his personal phonecalls, they're also going to end up in the Presidential museum you realise? It's a presidential account while he's president.

• Advertisement

He is the president so his personal account is also the presidents account.
    AOC isn't the president.

All that clear?
    Yep one rule for the prez and one rule for a member of congress. Both in government, but you like one and dislike the other..
    Crystal.

Yep one rule for the prez and one rule for a member of congress. Both in government, but you like one and dislike the other..
    Crystal.

One is the president the other a congresswoman.
    There are different rules for them.

Didn't even know about that blocking on twitter thing why bring it up.

I doubt "cancel culture"and deplatformers are fringe left.
    They see themselves as concerned people protecting their fellows from dangerous influences.

The likes of Kevin Harte and Mary Bono wasn't cancelled by the extreme left.

Is that an answer to my question? Is it your assertion that everyone from moderate to extreme left are not in favour of free speech?

If this is your assertion, you're flat out wrong. It's actually much more common for centre/moderate left people to be pro censorship than extreme left people. But then everyone on the left isn't ideologically aligned like you seem to think.

they/them/theirs

Brian? wrote:
    If this is your assertion, you're flat out wrong. It's actually much more common for centre/moderate left people to be pro censorship than extreme left people.

I have to say that isn't my experience. The extreme left's agenda seems to be purely the eradication of the right's ability to express their opinion without threats of violence and intimidation.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Brian? wrote: »
    There are none so blind as those who will not see.

Enlighten us so.

Great thread here by Andy Ngo which lists all the Jussie esque cases in the states over the last few years:

https://twitter.com/MrAndyNgo/status/1097020092791934976

Great thread here by Andy Ngo which lists all the Jussie esque cases in the states over the last few years:

Oh no! Here come all the "grifter" posts.

I have to say that isn't my experience. The extreme left's agenda seems to be purely the eradication of the right's ability to express their opinion without threats of violence and intimidation.

No. People who never really had a voice before now have one thanks to rhe internet. Gay, trans minorities etc and their allies are now able to speak back. The privileged people who were able to slag off, discriminate and bully can now be confronted. They don't like being spoken back to and think their free speech is being eroded. It's not just the playing field has been levelled a bit.

20Cent wrote:
    No. People who never really had a voice before now have one thanks to rhe internet. Gay, trans minorities etc and their allies are now able to speak back. The privileged people who were able to slag off, discriminate and bully can now be confronted. They don't like being spoken back to and think their free speech is being eroded. It's not just the playing field has been levelled a bit.

Oh that's all kind of bull****. You start using the "privilege" ****e and I refuse to entertain your absolute bull****tery.

Let me guess/ask? Are you a white male feminist?

One is the president the other a congresswoman.
    There are different rules for them.
    Free speech group doesn't agree with you. Maybe write them a stern letter with your points.
    Free speech group: AOC blocking Twitter users is ‘unconstitutional’ https://nypost.com/2019/08/29/free-speech-group-aoc-blocking-twitter-users-is-unconstitutional/
    Didn't even know about that blocking on twitter thing.
    Learn every day :)

• Advertisement

Oh that's all kind of bull****. You start using the "privilege" ****e and I refuse to entertain your absolute bull****tery.

Let me guess/ask? Are you a white male feminist?
    /QUOTE]

Who is being censored?
    No one that's who.

Someone makes a homophobic or transphobic joke, gets a few tweets criticism and starts crying like they are the most oppressed people ever. Then they call others who are often fighting for their lives snowflakes.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement