Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,438 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

notobtuse wrote: »
    There is very little unbiased reporting these days.

That's why I noted it as being reporting/commentary. It's a mixture of reporting and opinion.

CNN's Jim Acosta says media 'neutrality' doesn't serve us in the age of Trump, and admitted to 'showboating' and 'grandstanding.' 'Journalists' should have their titles in quotes, nowadays.

Don’t they pretty much all, anymore?

You read the headlines and decide which are biased and which ones aren’t. Based entirely on which you agree with. It’s nonsense.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Brian? wrote: »
    And the mayor who disagreed with him was elected by the entire population of Portland to serve them. You choose to believe one over the other based on your own bias.

Typo. It should have said “lay off”
    You can believe a slimy politician. I’ll take the word of the rank and file policemen and women.

Okay regarding the 'lay off' thing. Let's go on the lay off thing, then. Still provide sources that don't tell you that you are right, or agree with you!

I have to laugh at your comment where you said I only read articles that I agree with, which primarily come from the right. Then you go on about how I use sources from the Left when it supports what I contend. So let me see if I get this right. I should read articles from both the left and right and come up with my own opinion (as I obviously do as I provide sources from both the left and right to support my comments), but I’m not supposed to provide sources that support my opinion. It’s a Catch 22 if I ever saw one.

Or are you just blowing smoke?

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

You read the headlines and decide which are biased and which ones aren’t. Based entirely on which you agree with. It’s nonsense.
    Nope. I read the headlines and see the obvious slant of the article. I then read the articles to see if I was right. I think I'm batting .398. CSPAN doesn't write articles so there really is no unbiased reporting. It's our jobs to read the articles and determine facts from opinion. If you read articles from both the left and right on the same subject matter, you would be astounded that the factions often leave out important facts they don't like

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Of course I cite the media in my reporting. I thought is was mandatory for anyone on the Right (and only the Right) to provide sources to back up their contentions. I read RealClearPolitics every day, both Right and Left articles as they often have reporting on the same subject from both the Left and Right. Just look at the headlines and tell me there is no bias. I can read the headlines and tell you in one-to-three guesses who the media entity is.
    https://www.realclearpolitics.com/

I must admit, though, my favorite reporting source is PJ Media. Their reporting/commentary on the money, their common sense is impeccable, and their humor is top notch.
    https://pjmedia.com/

Okay. I'm now fully aware that you are a right wing propagandist with no interest in any kind of reasoned debate.

This is a conservative child's comic not a newspaper:
    Why the Democrats Have Gone Insane
    photo-1567801527748-5225c65c5b91.sized-770x415xt.jpeg
    Nope. I read the headlines and see the obvious slant of the article. I then read the articles to see if I was right. I think I'm batting .398. CSPAN doesn't write articles so there really is no unbiased reporting. It's our jobs to read the articles and determine facts from opinion. If you read articles from both the left and right on the same subject matter, you would be astounded that the factions often leave out important facts they don't like

FYI: Every article ever written tells you a series of events. If you don't like those events that doesn't make it fake. Generally the title will give you insight to were the article is going to go ;)

Okay. I'm now fully aware that you are a right wing propagandist with no interest in any kind of reasoned debate.

This is a conservative child's comic not a newspaper:

FYI: Every article ever written tells you a series of events. If you don't like those events that doesn't make it fake. Generally the title will give you insight to were the article is going to go ;)
    Who said fake? I'm talking about agenda driven bias. Quit getting your information from comic books.

• Advertisement

And the mayor who disagreed with him was elected by the entire population of Portland to serve them. You choose to believe one over the other based on your own bias.

Typo. It should have said “lay off”
    You can believe a slimy politician. I’ll take the word of the rank and file policemen and women.

What makes him slime? The head of the police union is also elected. Isn't he slimey?
    Okay regarding the 'lay off' thing. Let's go on the lay off thing, then. Still provide sources that don't tell you that you are right, or agree with you!

I have to laugh at your comment where you said I only read articles that I agree with, which primarily come from the right. Then you go on about how I use sources from the Left when it supports what I contend. So let me see if I get this right. I should read articles from both the left and right and come up with my own opinion (as I obviously do as I provide sources from both the left and right to support my comments), but I’m not supposed to provide sources that support my opinion. It’s a Catch 22 if I ever saw one.

Or are you just blowing smoke?

What I am saying is: you constantly criticise the mainstream media as one biased entity. Except when they agree with you, then they are an irrefutable source of pure truth.

they/them/theirs

Is batting. 398 good? Seems quite low.

they/them/theirs

It will get you in the baseball Hall of Fame.

It will get you in the baseball Hall of Fame.

Good for you then.

Baseball, is like some people say around to try to make cricket more boring.

they/them/theirs

What I am saying is: you constantly criticise the mainstream media as one biased entity. Except when they agree with you, then they are an irrefutable source of pure truth.
    Never said anything was an 'irrefutable source of pure truth.' But, whatever. I take it you'll never again ask me to provide sources to back up any of my comments, right?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

....that used be the attitude towards the church in this state. Look how that worked out.

Never said anything was an 'irrefutable source of pure truth.' But, whatever. I take it you'll never again ask me to provide sources to back up any of my comments, right?

I will ask and I will provide. What I won’t stand for you as dismissing mainstream sources as biased when then disagree with you and unbiased when they don’t. It’s silly.

they/them/theirs

I will ask and I will provide. What I won’t stand for you as dismissing mainstream sources as biased when then disagree with you and unbiased when they don’t. It’s silly.
    So any media source I provide, that you would consider coming from the Right, will carry just as much equal weight as any other media source? Good to know.

So any media source I provide, that you would consider coming from the Right, will carry just as much equal weight as any other media source? Good to know.

It will. I never said it wouldn’t. You’re the one who dismisses while swathes of the media as biased, not me.

It’s not the source I care about, unlike you, it’s whether it’s factual or not.

they/them/theirs

So far it seems there's right wing, sometimes religious organisations that own news outlets you respect and the rest is liberal biased mainstream media that should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Think about that for a minute.

So far it seems there's right wing, sometimes religious organisations that own news outlets you respect and the rest is liberal biased mainstream media that should be taken with a pinch of salt.
    Think about that for a minute.
    The majority of the media serve as handmaidens of the Democrats... extremely biased. The small portion of the media on the right are agenda driven also, but are prone to providing more facts than the biased liberal media. I would recommend to read from both perspectives and determine a balance.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 559 ✭✭✭PostWoke

The majority of the media serve as handmaidens of the Democrats... extremely biased.

You american mate?

In Ireland we have several parties. You should familiarize yourself with it; this is an Irish board.

PostWoke wrote: »
    You american mate?

In Ireland we have several parties. You should familiarize yourself with it; this is an Irish board.
    Yup, I'm American and Irish and reside in the US... and I'm familiar with the parties in Ireland. I also know Democrats in the US would be considered right of center in Ireland. And US Republicans are considered bonkers. But this thread deals with the actions of Antifa that has taken place in the US as of late, so my responses are geared around dealings in the US.

Yup, I'm American and Irish and reside in the US... and I'm familiar with the parties in Ireland. I also know Democrats in the US would be considered right of center in Ireland. And US Republicans are considered bonkers. But this thread deals with the actions of Antifa that has taken place in the US as of late, so my responses are geared around dealings in the US.

Nah. U.S. Democrats would be centrists here at best. But that's not the point. This is an Irish board, no need to be going on about foreign political parties. Antifa are a harmless international group until extremists instigate trouble at events, then they become the physical arm of moderate and progressive values, there to defend people from being assaulted like we saw at Charlottesville, black people being beaten on the ground by groups of Proud Boys, etc. It really is that simple. Fair play to them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Nah. U.S. Democrats would be centrists here at best. But that's not the point. This is an Irish board, no need to be going on about foreign political parties. Antifa are a harmless international group until extremists instigate trouble at events, then they become the physical arm of moderate and progressive values, there to defend people from being assaulted like we saw at Charlottesville, black people being beaten on the ground by groups of Proud Boys, etc. It really is that simple. Fair play to them.

Good one.
    Very funny.

• Advertisement

The majority of the media serve as handmaidens of the Democrats... extremely biased. The small portion of the media on the right are agenda driven also, but are prone to providing more facts than the biased liberal media. I would recommend to read from both perspectives and determine a balance.

The majority of the media serve as handmaiden summer of the GOP... very biased.

See, I can say things too.

they/them/theirs

The majority of the media serve as handmaiden summer of the GOP... very biased.

See, I can say things too.
    If I'd agree with you then we'd both be wrong.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Good one.
    Very funny.

Fantastic rebuttal. Doesn't look weak at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

Fantastic rebuttal. Doesn't look weak at all.

Your post was funny,nothing weak in pointing that out.

Do some more Im have a great laugh on boards today:pac:

Petition to have the Current Affairs/IMHO center only on Irish matters, then… and to have all non-conformists hanged, drawn and quartered. I'm SUUUUURE the executive board here will seriously consider it. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Dave Rubin talk cancelled due to Antifa threats.

Insane to consider him far right.

That he is a Jew seems to be the more likely trigger.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Danzy wrote: »

Not cancelled just rubin doesn't want to pay the security costs.

Nope, they serve their owners interests, saying that, they must be seen to be truthful or they'll lose credibility.

You go on to say the small(?) number of right wing media are saying what you want to hear.

Nope. I would recommend reading the mainstream respected publications and sifting out any spin, if any. I will not read some right wing jack asses opinion article and give it any merit.

What if the media are reporting things and you don't like what you are seeing so decide it must be spin??? :eek:

Danzy wrote: »

I thought you said Antifa, are the Proud Boys or Patriots Prayer going?

Might be him giving an unchallenged platform to the Alt-Right I'd imagine.

• Advertisement

If I'd agree with you then we'd both be wrong.

Did you miss my point intentionally?

You through out statements like they are verifiable facts, when you’re simply parroting common right wing tropes.

The media is against you, even though Foxnews is the number 1 rated new network.

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement