Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

I thought you said Antifa, are the Proud Boys or Patriots Prayer going?

Might be him giving an unchallenged platform to the Alt-Right I'd imagine.

No, jayzus Matt, not like there isn't a long history of ANTIFA targeting Jews.

The why is immaterial to the thrill of intimidation and control over others.

It's that control which motivates ANTIFA.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Brian? wrote: »
    Did you miss my point intentionally?

You through out statements like they are verifiable facts, when you’re simply parroting common right wing tropes.

The media is against you, even though Foxnews is the number 1 rated new network.
    My comment was right on regarding the nonsense that was spouted.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Danzy wrote: »
    Dave Rubin talk cancelled due to Antifa threats.

Insane to consider him far right.

That he is a Jew seems to be the more likely trigger.
    20Cent wrote: »
    Not cancelled just rubin doesn't want to pay the security costs.

I suppose the venue would have to impose massive security fees when "antifa" mob violence is expected at this stage. Im sure they'll actually consider this a victory.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

An academic research paper into the "intellectual" dark web on youtube has shown that these grifters really do end up as gateways to fringe far right ideologies.

Auditing Radicalization Pathways on YouTube
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335337464_Auditing_Radicalization_Pathways_on_YouTube

We analyze 331,849 videos of 360 channels which we broadly classify into: control, the Alt-lite, the Intellectual Dark Web (I.D.W.), and the Alt-right ---channels in the I.D.W. and the Alt-lite would be gateways to fringe far-right ideology, here represented by Alt-right channels. Processing more than 79M comments,

Dave Rubin is one of them.
    Not saying he is a nazi or even doing it on purpose but he does point people in that direction and encourage them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

Danzy wrote: »
    No, jayzus Matt, not like there isn't a long history of ANTIFA targeting Jews.

The why is immaterial to the thrill of intimidation and control over others.

It's that control which motivates ANTIFA.

For being Jews and nothing else?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

SexBobomb wrote: »
    I suppose the venue would have to impose massive security fees when "antifa" mob violence is expected at this stage. Im sure they'll actually consider this a victory.

I'm sure the racists planning marches in Portland give two f***s about the civic cost of policing their hate rallies.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭p1akuw47h5r3it

An academic research paper into the "intellectual" dark web on youtube has shown that these grifters really do end up as gateways to fringe far right ideologies.

Auditing Radicalization Pathways on YouTube
    https://www.researchgate.net/publication/335337464_Auditing_Radicalization_Pathways_on_YouTube

We analyze 331,849 videos of 360 channels which we broadly classify into: control, the Alt-lite, the Intellectual Dark Web (I.D.W.), and the Alt-right ---channels in the I.D.W. and the Alt-lite would be gateways to fringe far-right ideology, here represented by Alt-right channels. Processing more than 79M comments,

Dave Rubin is one of them.
    Not saying he is a nazi or even doing it on purpose but he does point people in that direction and encourage them.
    I can't read the whole paper. How did they decide who was alt-light, alt-right and why?
    What channels were the controls?
    What was the purpose of processing the comments?
    Has this research been reproduced?
    Why is it assumed that just because people watch certain videos that they become radicalized i. e. What is the basis for this claim?

DanDan6592 wrote: »
    I can't read the whole paper. How did they decide who was alt-light, alt-right and why?

They didn't.

Page 5

Senitment analysis.

dunno

Why is it assumed that just because people watch certain videos that they become radicalized i. e. What is the basis for this claim?

They don't claim that.

They didn't.

Page 5

Senitment analysis.

dunno

They don't claim that.

Who did?

Sentiment analysis? That's a new for me.

Well it's not much use until it gets reproduced with similar conclusions.

What Is claimed? That it leads people to watch videos of people with extreme views. If so, so what?

Who did?

Sentiment analysis? That's a new for me.

Well it's not much use until it gets reproduced with similar conclusions.

What Is claimed? That it leads people to watch videos of people with extreme views. If so, so what?

Who did what?

Sentiment analysis been around a long time, it's used to gain insights from peoples comments.

Maybe it has been replicated I haven't read everything about it..

People are being radicalised by youtube content, the IDW in conjunction with youtube's algorithms contribute to this.

Try it yourself look at a few John Paul Watson videos or Stefan Molyneaux.
    Your youtube recommendations start giving you more similar content until you end up with some dark fascist, racist etc stuff.

Happened to this chap he explains it well.
    https://youtu.be/sfLa64_zLrU

• Advertisement

Who did what?

Sentiment analysis been around a long time, it's used to gain insights from peoples comments.

Maybe it has been replicated I haven't read everything about it..

People are being radicalised by youtube content, the IDW in conjunction with youtube's algorithms contribute to this.

Try it yourself look at a few John Paul Watson videos or Stefan Molyneaux.
    Your youtube recommendations start giving you more similar content until you end up with some dark fascist, racist etc stuff.

Who decided what channels were alt-right, which were alt-light etc.?

This may be the case that you end up b we ING recommended far-right videos, but that is not Dave Rubins fault, and it doesn't make him far-right.

Regardless, if the algorithm works this way, it will do the same for those watching mainly left-wing political discourse. The fault lies with YouTube solely, not the IDW as you seem to suggest.

I've watched a fair-view Dave Rubin vids, along with Jordan Peterson and other IDW people, and I was never recommended far-right or racist content. (Actually maybe that Molenyeux lad was once, does he try come across as an intellect? Can't really remember who he is.)

Who decided what channels were alt-right, which were alt-light etc.?

This may be the case that you end up b we ING recommended far-right videos, but that is not Dave Rubins fault, and it doesn't make him far-right.

Regardless, if the algorithm works this way, it will do the same for those watching mainly left-wing political discourse. The fault lies with YouTube solely, not the IDW as you seem to suggest.

I've watched a fair-view Dave Rubin vids, along with Jordan Peterson and other IDW people, and I was never recommended far-right or racist content. (Actually maybe that Molenyeux lad was once, does he try come across as an intellect? Can't really remember who he is.)

Why don't you just read it yourself it's all there.
    Could discuss it then.

[

Molenyex presents himself as an intellectual, he is basically a white supremacist that discusses things like race and IQ, feminism etc he also interviews open white supremacists. The youtube algorithm will start recommending that tyoe of content to you.

Why don't you just read it yourself it's all there.
    Could discuss it then.

On phone, don't want to download. I'll give the vid a watch. What I'm getting at moreso is that yiu seem to alluding to it being Dave Rubin and the IDWs fault that YouTubes algorithms recommend potentially nefarious naterial.

Edit: I thought your vid explained the paper itself, not watching 38 mins of some random lad haha

On phone, don't want to download. I'll give the vid a watch. What I'm getting at moreso is that yiu seem to alluding to it being Dave Rubin and the IDWs fault that YouTubes algorithms recommend potentially nefarious naterial.

Edit: I thought your vid explained the paper itself, not watching 38 mins of some random lad haha

It's a mixture of both imo.
    The lad describes being bored and a bit lost.
    Went down a youtube rabbit hole getting more and more extreme.

That's how radicalisation works.
    Rubin etc could do more to fight against it but it's not in their financial interest to do so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

The youtube algorithm will start recommending that tyoe of content to you.

Youtube has changed the algorithm,so it wont happen anymore apparantly

It's a mixture of both imo.
    The lad describes being bored and a bit lost.
    Went down a youtube rabbit hole getting more and more extreme.

That's how radicalisation works.
    Rubin etc could do more to fight against it but it's not in their financial interest to do so.

But he'd be a tiny minority. This doesn't happen to the vast majority. And it's not Dave Rubin fault when it does happen.

How could he fight against it more?

Unfortunately I don't see how YouTube can change. I watch mostly science and in particular physics videos on YouTube and find the recommends to me to be great.

But he'd be a tiny minority. This doesn't happen to the vast majority. And it's not Dave Rubin fault when it does happen.

How could he fight against it more?

Unfortunately I don't see how YouTube can change. I watch mostly science and in particular physics videos on YouTube and find the recommends to me to be great.

He is a tiny minority but thats all it takes. With an audience of millions all it takes is one nutjob listening to hours and hours of Mexicans are all criminal rapists takes a gun and decides to kill as many of them as he can.

Rubin will allow people to lie on his show. For example Tommy Robinson claimed to have been sent to prison for his beliefs as opposed to mortgage fraud. Rubin could have asked him what the charges were, or challenge the claim. Instead he just accepts whatever they say. Now Rubins audience of millions think Robinson is a perfectly nice chap being victimised for his beliefs.

He is a tiny minority but thats all it takes. With an audience of millions all it takes is one nutjob listening to hours and hours of Mexicans are all criminal rapists takes a gun and decides to kill as many of them as he can.

Rubin will allow people to lie on his show. For example Tommy Robinson claimed to have been sent to prison for his beliefs as opposed to mortgage fraud. Rubin could have asked him what the charges were, or challenge the claim. Instead he just accepts whatever they say. Now Rubins audience of millions think Robinson is a perfectly nice chap being victimised for his beliefs.

But you can say the same re Islamic Extremism, or listening to how Ice detention centers are akin to concentration camps.

Right so he's a poor interviewer. It's hardly fair to then hold him partly responsible if some loser ends up with far-right views from watching too many YouTube videos.

But you can say the same re Islamic Extremism, or listening to how Ice detention centers are akin to concentration camps.

Right so he's a poor interviewer. It's hardly fair to then hold him partly responsible if some loser ends up with far-right views from watching too many YouTube videos.

It's exactly the same as how people get radicalised into any radical belief system.

Re the second part bit pointless discussing a paper you haven't read.

• Advertisement

It's exactly the same as how people get radicalised into any radical belief system.

Re the second part bit pointless discussing a paper you haven't read.

I thought we'd moved on from the paper. Does the paper suggest that Dave Rubin and the IDW are somehow responsible for people becoming far-right from watching YouTube videos? It seemed to me this was a claim that you made and not the paper itself.

From the intro it seemed it suggested that YouTube recommends nefarious videos having watched certain other, less controversial content providers.

I thought we'd moved on from the paper. Does the paper suggest that Dave Rubin and the IDW are somehow responsible for people becoming far-right from watching YouTube videos? It seemed to me this was a claim that you made and not the paper itself.

From the intro it seemed it suggested that YouTube recommends nefarious videos having watched certain other, less controversial content providers.

Pointless if you haven't read it.
    Its short.
    Would be quicker reading it than me spoonfeeding it to you.

Pointless if you haven't read it.
    Its short.
    Would be quicker reading it than me spoonfeeding it to you.

On phone. Difficult to read it and tired. I'll try tomorrow. From what I got through I think yiu are misinterpreting what it is saying. The paper doesn't appear to lay blame at the IDW or Rubin, but at Youtube algorithms.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,502 ✭✭✭Sweetemotion

That guy is the definition of a grifter.

On phone. Difficult to read it and tired. I'll try tomorrow. From what I got through I think yiu are misinterpreting what it is saying. The paper doesn't appear to lay blame at the IDW or Rubin, but at Youtube algorithms.

Neither did I, said it is a gateway.

Neither did I, said it is a gateway.

No you said Rubin "points people in that direction" and "encourages" people towards the far right. That is not true.

It's the algorithms that do this. Not the individuals themselves.

No you said Rubin "points people in that direction" and "encourages" people towards the far right. That is not true.

It's the algorithms that do this. Not the individuals themselves.

It is true.
    He has Stefan Molyneux on.
    Stefan gives his race and iq bull**** unchallenged.
    Rubin just lets him say whatever he wants
    Stefan gets introduced as a totally reasonable person to Rubin's million plus viewers. Many may go on to look at more of his stuff or get recommend it by YouTube. Like I said a gateway and a pointer.

It is true.
    He has Stefan Molyneux on.
    Stefan gives his race and iq bull**** unchallenged.
    Rubin just lets him say whatever he wants
    Stefan gets introduced as a totally reasonable person to Rubin's million plus viewers. Many may go on to look at more of his stuff or get recommend it by YouTube. Like I said a gateway and a pointer.

But that's not what that Academic paper says, that what you say and it's mere opinion. Again you try and claim that Rubin is responsible for Youtube Algorithms, and is liable for someone becoming far-right simply because he's a bad interviewer.

But that's not what that Academic paper says, that what you say and it's mere opinion. Again you try and claim that Rubin is responsible for Youtube Algorithms, and is liable for someone becoming far-right simply because he's a bad interviewer.

It's not opinion.
    Molyneux was on Rubin's show and did talk about races having different iq's unchallenged. You can look it up. These are facts.

• Advertisement

It's not opinion.
    Molyneux was on Rubin's show and did talk about races having different iq's unchallenged. You can look it up. These are facts.

I don't deny he did. But how is that "encouraging" people towards the far-right?

Also, have you got a weird framing around our comments to each other or is it just my end?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement