Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Ironicname wrote: »
    In a world where violence can mean anything from murder to just nasty words, then yes, protesting by the act of physically preventing people from hearing words you don't agree with is a valid example.

A valid example of what? Fascism, no. Being a bit of bollocks, yes.
    These people shouldn't be allowed dictate what ideas can and can't be heard.

They aren't.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    They aren't.

Good, so you disagree with them physically preventing people to enter the talk?

Absolutely. I disagree with any acts of violence.

I disagree with sensationalist nonsense calling them fascists. Is this a surprise? It shouldn't be.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

In a world where violence can mean anything from murder to just nasty words, then yes, protesting by the act of physically preventing people from hearing words you don't agree with is a valid example.

They want different rules and laws for themselves in which they do not wish to abide by. This will, of course, be ignored by those who live in an alternate reality that struggle to think

Absolutely. I disagree with any acts of violence.

I disagree with sensationalist nonsense calling them fascists. Is this a surprise? It shouldn't be.

Well that's fair enough so. I agree that calling them fascist is silly, unless the word is being used somewhat disingenuously to highlight the people who represent Anti-fa's repeated misuse of the word and their propensity for labelling anything they oppose as fascist

• Advertisement

Well that's fair enough so. I agree that calling them fascist is silly, unless the word is being used somewhat disingenuously to highlight the people who represent Anti-fa's repeated misuse of the word and their propensity for labelling anything they oppose as fascist

I don't understand this post. You seem to be saying it's ok to misuse the word fascist to highlight the repeated misuse of the word by Antifa. Is that correct?

I think we should remove the silliness completely. If it's wrong when Antifa do it, it's wrong when people opposed to Antifa do it.

they/them/theirs

They want different rules and laws for themselves in which they do not wish to abide by. This will, of course, be ignored by those who live in an alternate reality that struggle to think

I'm struggling to understand this post.

They want different rules and laws for themselves - possibly, but I don't think they do.

"In which they do not wish to abide by" - what?

they/them/theirs

I don't understand this post. You seem to be saying it's ok to misuse the word fascist to highlight the repeated misuse of the word by Antifa. Is that correct?

I think we should remove the silliness completely. If it's wrong when Antifa do it, it's wrong when people opposed to Antifa do it.

Yes, to intentionally call someone a fascist incorrectly to highlight and lampoon/parody who use the word incorrectly without a hint of irony, is acceptable.

And if the people using the word fascist incorrectly are doing so on behalf of a "movement" supposedly against fascism, it's much more important for them to actually have the definition nailed on.

Yes, to intentionally call someone a fascist incorrectly to highlight and lampoon/parody who use the word incorrectly without a hint of irony, is acceptable.

But that's not what's happening here. Pete and others have vehemently defended their usage of the word "fascist" as being a correct description of Antifa.

And if the people using the word fascist incorrectly are doing so on behalf of a "movement" supposedly against fascism, it's much more important for them to actually have the definition nailed on.

agreed.

they/them/theirs

But that's not what's happening here. Pete and others have vehemently defended their usage of the word "fascist" as being a correct description of Antifa

Well if that is the case then I agree with you. I read it as if they were judging Antifa by Antifa's own standards (i.e improper use of fascist).

If anyone genuinely thinks that it is a correct term to use for such a small incident, the world is even more ****ed than I thought. It's the same as using the word "violence" or the term "hate crime" for any speech that offends you.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

Antifa strikes again! Violence and arrests at an Ann Coulter college speech. Lovely bunch of coconuts.

What was that, again, about Antifa not protesting and committing violence at mere conservative functions?

https://pjmedia.com/trending/several...t-at-berkeley/

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

notobtuse wrote: »
    Antifa strikes again! Violence and arrests at an Ann Coulter college speech. Lovely bunch of coconuts.

What was that, again, about Antifa not protesting and committing violence at mere conservative functions?

https://pjmedia.com/trending/several...t-at-berkeley/

Page does not exist.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

If it's fascism, yes they should. If someone is preaching hate how ever thinly veiled it should be closed down. It's on us all to do so.

What talk was this, the one where no antifa were involved? The one regarding a right wing politician?
    Is every protest against the right an automatic Antifa protest?
    If it's the one I'm thinking of they shouldn't have blocked the elderly Alt-Right lady, but they wasn't Antifa and one of the lads publicly apologised after it...then his family had to close their cafe because of death threats, y'know from the decent also not antifa folk.

20Cent wrote: »
    Page does not exist.

Also...
    PJ Media (originally known as Pajamas Media) is a conservative opinion and commentary collaborative blog that was founded in 2004. Its majority owner was technology entrepreneur, billionaire,[1] and angel investor Aubrey Chernick.[2] Salem Media Group bought the company in 2019.

I mean if a billionaire can't be trusted :)

He gets all his 'facts' from biased far right christian opinion pieces.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

The "but Obama" post.

You shoehorn 'kids in cages' into the debate and cite Trump as a means of having an off-topic dig at me, suggesting that he was the one responsible them, and when I post something which makes it clear that he was not the one who built those cages, you label that a 'But Obama' post? lol

Course you're not the first to do this. Happens all the time that people, when trying to smear Trump, will cite things which his predecessor was responsible for. In fact just the other day this Tweet had to be deleted for that very reason:

Bernie Sanders tweeted out: "This is immoral" but then deleted the tweet once it became clear the stats were referring to a time when the Orange man was not in the Oval. The left ladies and gents.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

If it's fascism, yes they should. If someone is preaching hate how ever thinly veiled it should be closed down. It's on us all to do so.

Absolute bollocks good sir. That would all depend on what the individuals ascertain as "hate" which is very subjective. You have no right to decide that

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

What talk was this, the one where no antifa were involved? The one regarding a right wing politician? Is every protest against the right an automatic Antifa protest? If it's the one I'm thinking of they shouldn't have blocked the elderly Alt-Right lady, but they wasn't Antifa and one of the lads publicly apologised after it...then his family had to close their cafe because of death threats, y'know from the decent also not antifa folk.

You are full of contradictions.

Is antifa a movement or people? No antifa were involved? It wasn't antifa?

It's a little bit preposterous that defenders of antifa can't decide what it is.

Kind of like how antifa can't decide what a fascist is.

****ing idiots

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Antifa member arrested a year after viral video shows attack on a lexus as it drove through demonstration

NONF442QZRDBVLULFAOG3KHAOI.jpg
    Portland police arrested a man suspected of using a metal baton to smash a luxury sedan as the car pushed through a throng of demonstrators more than a year ago in an encounter that blossomed into a national news story.

Shaun Clancy, 37, was booked Wednesday into the Multnomah County jail on a felony allegation of first-degree criminal mischief stemming from the Oct. 6, 2018, dustup.

Officers found a pair of brass knuckles on Clancy when they arrested him as well as a stun gun with an “Antifa” sticker pasted on it, according to police. Clancy now faces an additional allegation of carrying a concealed weapon.

Im sure he feels oppressed.

Antifa member arrested a year after viral video shows attack on a lexus as it drove through demonstration

NONF442QZRDBVLULFAOG3KHAOI.jpg

Im sure he feels oppressed.

Another Antifa member arrested in Portland. Are people still going to try to argue they are given carte Blanche by the police?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,951 ✭✭✭B0jangles

Another Antifa member arrested in Portland. Are people still going to try to argue they are given carte Blanche by the police?

Antifa are savagely violent thugs who are too wimpy to even leave their mothers basements, which is a very good thing because if they did come out, the police (who are their allies) would only cover all their crimes, as this link to an arrest report demonstrates.

Shush, my logic is impeccable

B0jangles wrote: »
    Antifa are savagely violent thugs who are too wimpy to even leave their mothers basements, which is a very good thing because if they did come out, the police (who are their allies) would only cover all their crimes, as this link to an arrest report demonstrates.

Shush, my logic is impeccable

You missed the part about them being anti Semites

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 536 ✭✭✭Harvey Weinstein

Screen-Shot-2019-11-25-at-11-15-17.png

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

Wow, Antifa Ireland lmao. Any the Antifa member here care to explain this BS?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 678 ✭✭✭kevovek

This is the AFA Ireland page, no idea what page that image is from but I suspect its fake
    https://www.facebook.com/afaireland/

Can you link to that on Facebook? I can’t find it on Antifa Ireland. I’d like to comment on it’s stupidity

Edit: not even the Antifa Ireland emblem is real on that picture. The one on the Facebook group has a blue, red and black flag.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

There are hundreds of fake antifa accounts setup by right wingers to discredit them. Bet a lot of what the obsessed alt right folks think is antifa is actually other alt right types trolling them.

There was a case last year where a fake antifa Twitter said they were going to vandalise a military graveyard. Loads of alt right Muppets turned up to protect it, one of them shot himself in the foot.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

There are hundreds of fake antifa accounts setup by right wingers to discredit them. Bet a lot of what the obsessed alt right folks think is antifa is actually other alt right types trolling them.

There was a case last year where a fake antifa Twitter said they were going to vandalise a military graveyard. Loads of alt right Muppets turned up to protect it, one of them shot himself in the foot.

Literally or figuratively?

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Tasfasdf wrote: »
    Probably was an antifa member who made the page, you haven't a clue. You talk as if your the administrator for antifa.

so link the page then? any eejit can doctor a screenshot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 83,563 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

so link the page then? any eejit can doctor a screenshot.

I can’t even find the alleged page or the post.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement