Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

20Cent wrote:
    Symbols change over time. It's the intent that matters as well.

Intent.

Yes. Finally we agree.

Why do you assume intent of the lads at the football match was white power?

Was it because they were white?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

Ironicname wrote: »
    Intent.

Yes. Finally we agree.

Why do you assume intent of the lads at the football match was white power?

Was it because they were white?

Because of the way they twisted their hand around and did it upside down and got it into shot for the TV.

Shouldn't really have people so immature in the navy should be kicked out.

20Cent wrote:
    Shouldn't really have people so immature in the navy should be kicked out.

Absolutely. No place for joking in a job where you put your life on the line.

Bastards

Bastards

Perhaps pick a "joke" that's not widely associated with white supremacy.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

Bastards

why ?
    o why in the name of all that is holy would you feed this bridge dweller ????

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote:
    Perhaps pick a "joke" that's not widely associated with white supremacy.

You want people to be fired for a joke because some bad people have done it before?

Wow

• Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

Very worried about the rise of white power in the oul American Football meself

EvfAF4S.jpg

You want people to be fired for a joke because some bad people have done it before?

Wow

What was the joke?

20Cent wrote:
    What was the joke?

Ironicname wrote:
    The ok symbol is a joke and used to make fun of idiots who think it stands for white power.

It's understandable that you don't get it. The butt of the joke usually is oblivious.

It's understandable that you don't get it. The butt of the joke usually is oblivious.

So you reckon they were joking about white power?

Grand.
    Shouldn't be someone we want driving a nuclear submarine or something in the future.

• Advertisement

20Cent wrote:

As I said.
    Ironicname wrote:

As I said.

You are right, I don't see what is funny about white supremacy.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

20Cent wrote: »

Grand.
    Shouldn't be someone we want driving a nuclear submarine or something in the future.

Yes, I do not think the US military has a huge white supremacy problem.

You wan't to have your cake and eat it too, you love using this to confirm the 'rise of white supremacy' or confirm a racist incident yet old photos of black people or people you like doing it and 'yeah it was an internet forum thing'

the reasonable thing to do is accept that it can be used as a joke by anyone at any time and thats how it started , not use it as a tool to 'prove racism' when it suits.

Yes, I do not think the US military has a huge white supremacy problem.

You wan't to have your cake and eat it too, you love using this to confirm the 'rise of white supremacy' or confirm a racist incident yet old photos of black people or people you like doing it and 'yeah it was an internet forum thing'

the reasonable thing to do is accept that it can be used as a joke by anyone at any time and thats how it started , not use it as a tool to 'prove racism' when it suits.

Why do you think they did it then?

Everyone knows how it would be interpreted but they did it anyway.
    Clear lack of judgement on their part.

An ironic asshole is still an asshole.

20Cent wrote:
    Everyone knows how it would be interpreted but they did it anyway. Clear lack of judgement on their part.

That's the point.

They knew how YOU and people like you would interpret it and shows how knee jerk and hysterical you become.. An ok gesture that makes you go "eemehgod.... white power" when it doesn't actually mean that.

They don't probably just don't give a **** if you get offended by it. I frankly applaud them for not caring what you think.

That's the point.

They knew how YOU and people like you would interpret it and shows how knee jerk and hysterical you become.. An ok gesture that makes you go "eemehgod.... white power" when it doesn't actually mean that.

They don't probably just don't give a **** if you get offended by it. I frankly applaud them for not caring what you think.

I'm not offended, racists are common in the military.

What I think doesn't really matter.
    What their superiors think will be relevant when they are out on their arses though.

Now that will be funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

What I think doesn't really matter.
    What their superiors think will be relevant when they are out on their arses though.

Now that will be funny.

and heres the rub, its just confirmation bias, when its people or institutions you already believe are racist then its real to you , when its somebody who you like , its not.

and heres the rub, its just confirmation bias, when its people or institutions you already believe are racist then its real to you , when its somebody who you like , its not.

Plenty of research into racial problems in the us military.
    A good few of them plus veterans have been arrested.

20Cent wrote:

Not offended. But want them fired.

Jesus I wonder how you act when you ARE offended

Not offended. But want them fired.

Jesus I wonder how you act when you ARE offended

Joking about white suprmacy live on TV in uniform
    These aren't the kind of people that should be in the military.
    No discipline in them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

racists are common in the military.

f2b16f0a9b2e462f3598fee95dc5884e.jpg

Worries grow about white nationalism in the ranks
    https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/02/25/is-the-military-doing-enough-to-combat-white-nationalism-in-the-ranks/
    Nearly 1 in 4 troops polled by Military Times in 2017 said they had seen examples of white nationalism among their fellow service members. Among non-white members of the military, the figure was more than 40 percent.

White nationalism remains a problem for the military, poll suggests
    https://www.militarytimes.com/news/pentagon-congress/2019/02/28/white-nationalism-remains-a-problem-for-the-military-poll-shows/

Among non-white service members in the poll, incidents of racism and racist ideology increased from 42 percent in 2017 to more than half those surveyed in 2018.

The results from the survey, conducted in September and October, suggest ongoing problems with infiltration of the military by extremist groups, even as military leaders have reminded service members that white nationalist views are opposed to military values.

Respondents said the problematic signs included casual use of racial slurs and anti-Semitic language, display of the Confederate flag despite complaints from other troops, swastikas drawn in bathrooms in combat zones, and tattoos known to be connected with white power propaganda.

20Cent wrote:
    Worries grow about white nationalism in the ranks

Of course they do. Christ I'd be concerned if lunatics were trying to convince me that any colleague who made an ok gesture was a white supremacist.

Thankfully, common sense will prevail and people will see idiots trying to claim everything is fascist or racist are just sad pricks.

Of course they do. Christ I'd be concerned if lunatics were trying to convince me that any colleague who made an ok gesture was a white supremacist.

Thankfully, common sense will prevail and people will see idiots trying to claim everything is fascist or racist are just sad pricks.

Bit more than that in fairness looking at the stats above.
    From a report by the military times.

20Cent wrote:
    Bit more than that in fairness looking at the stats above. From a report by the military times.

Of course. But if you see the ok symbol as racist, you'll see more racism.

People like you, pushing everything you see as "problematic" as racist will of course mean increased reports of people seeing an "incident" of racism.

Do you count seeing the navy lads using an ok symbol as racism?

Lots of people saw that. Does that count now as an incident of racism in the navy?

If yes, then your stat means nothing.

If no, then why the **** would you be calling for them being fired?

****ing hypocrite.

Of course. But if you see the ok symbol as racist, you'll see more racism.

People like you, pushing everything you see as "problematic" as racist will of course mean increased reports of people seeing an "incident" of racism.

Do you count seeing the navy lads using an ok symbol as racism?

Lots of people saw that. Does that count now as an incident of racism in the navy?

If yes, then your stat means nothing.

If no, then why the **** would you be calling for them being fired?

****ing hypocrite.

You don't seem to understand the research. The soldiers themselves see it a racist.

Yeah they should be fired. Some standards needed.
    If they don't know what they are doing they are too thick to be there, if they did they should be fired as well.

20Cent wrote:
    You don't seem to understand the research. The soldiers themselves see it a racist.

Oh ok. So racism is perception? It's about feelings. Gotcha.

Oh ok. So racism is perception? It's about feelings. Gotcha.

Of course it is.
    Do racist stuff be perceived as a racist.

20Cent wrote:
    Of course it is. Do racist stuff be perceived as a racist.

Not what I said.

Is someone being a racist, based on fact or based on someone else's interpretation of what they believe a racist to be?

My definition of a racist is someone who believes they are superior to someone else based on their ethnicity.

What is your definition?

A ****ing ok symbol?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

That's the point.

They either intended it as a white supremacy symbol or they are complete tools with no cop on. Neither group should be allowed access to firearms.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement