Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

MMyers wrote: »
    In some circles the A OK hand sign is used by occultists as a 666 reference.

Christ! Don't bring me into this

:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

You are giving idiots and racists power and legitimising them with your calls to have it labelled as solely a white supremacist gesture. It is absurd.

I think you are spectacularly missing the point here.

I am not defending white supremacy or the use by some white supremacists of the ok gesture.

What I am defending is the right of other people to use it and not automatically be seen as a white supremacist.

What people who are worried about the rise of the gesture are doing is some modern version of the Streisland Effect.

No one is claiming it solely as a white supremacist symbol just saying some use it as a dogwhistle to show support for each other.

Unfortunately covering your eyes and ears and pretending it's not happening isn't an option.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 83 ✭✭Dick_Swiveller

Why aren't these soap-dodgers arrested when they attack peaceful protesters? Are the Gardaí put off by the smell?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

No Matt. Your interpretation of why I said it is what is sad.

I didn't think it needed to be spelled out to you but we are where we are. I said that I sometimes use (what you would call) "homophobic" slurs but I also mentioned that in order to do so, intent and context are key.

When I am with my friend we would joke about and I might say something along the lines of "jesus stop being such a f*g" if he does something stereotypically gay. He might call me a "breeder" if I do something stereotypically straight.

There is no intent there and in the context of the situation (i.e two lifelong friends joking about) using what you would consider slurs acceptable.

The reason my friend's sexuality was brought up, is because it is a clear example of when your list of no-no words become redundant. It wasn't to excuse anything. It was to give an example.

And again, to even infer that someone is a homophobe because they know when and where it is acceptable to use certain words is, as I said, laughable.

You saying you have a gay friend means nothing either way. You casually used a homophobic slur to insult.
    Again, I'm not your gay friend and this isn't a private conversation. You should stop digging really.
    It's not 'no words', it's casually using a homophobic slur.
    Never inferred you were homophobic. We've covered this. Using a homophobic slur at someone is using a homophobic slur even if you're pals with Elton John. It's who you are.

You are giving idiots and racists power and legitimising them with your calls to have it labelled as solely a white supremacist gesture. It is absurd.

I think you are spectacularly missing the point here.

I am not defending white supremacy or the use by some white supremacists of the ok gesture.

What I am defending is the right of other people to use it and not automatically be seen as a white supremacist.

What people who are worried about the rise of the gesture are doing is some modern version of the Streisland Effect.

You doing the same just means my comment applies to you too.
    Dismissing, downplaying or denying it happens is enabling IMO.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

20Cent wrote: »
    Of course it is.
    Do racist stuff be perceived as a racist.
    Stop drinking milk so

How the alt-right co-opted the OK hand sign to fool the media

biko wrote: »

This has been covered 20 times already in this thread, do keep up.
    Or scroll back a few pages and educate yourself.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,570 ✭✭✭RandomName2

You are enabling white supremacists, twats who like to play at white supremacist and jack asses who like to make jokes based around hate. Just an FYI. Enough people like you and nobody will feel free to call out such things and the white supremacists will love you for it.

Says the person who still won't condemn the floss.

Curious if you can find a single use of the below-the-belt upside down okay symbol, outside of the Christchurch shooter, as an example of far-right symbolism.

Time to stick on your best tinfoil hats, ladies and gentlemen. Let us see the evidence for this symbol of fascism, the denial of which is aiding and abetting fascism. Anybody?

No I'm not. Aengus O'Snodaigh in my local SF and he's never seen a vote from me.

Surprising, but ok.
    This has been covered 20 times already in this thread, do keep up.
    Or scroll back a few pages and educate yourself.

Just being ignerent.

Just being ignerent.

Screamin :)

Screamin :)

I am starting to think that the thread for the last 20 pages was a big wind up, which is trolling on a really meta level if so, and worthy of praise of a kind. I mean, if that's the case, if this was all a hoax on about 3 posters' part pretending to be outraged over the circle game, then what fools are the people (like me) who rose to the bait? The claim that there's a great alt-right conspiracy, hidden in plain sight, with people indicating their allegiance to racist ideologies? What does it say about our critical faculties that we would readily engage with nonsense? Are we too reactionary, too willing to jump into any debate, no matter how far fetched the proposition?

• Advertisement

I am starting to think that the thread for the last 20 pages was a big wind up, which is trolling on a really meta level if so, and worthy of praise of a kind. I mean, if that's the case, if this was all a hoax on about 3 posters' part pretending to be outraged over the circle game, then what fools are the people (like me) who rose to the bait? The claim that there's a great alt-right conspiracy, hidden in plain sight, with people indicating their allegiance to racist ideologies? What does it say about our critical faculties that we would readily engage with nonsense? Are we too reactionary, too willing to jump into any debate, no matter how far fetched the proposition?

I called it out as a troll ages ago..
    I don't know how meta 20cent is capable of getting though really..

edit...that might have been his other thread..

It's not just three posters though it's been reported in mainstream media as well. Even the military have said they are investigating.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

WTF is that?
    Did you just make it up?

No time to distinguish if someone is an actual nazi or just being satirical either way not a good thing.
    Maybe the 4chan brigade should find another "joke". If they were really doing it to wind people up they would claim to be communists, looking at the /pol/ page they sure seem far right and racist.

Yes. Well done. It was supposed to sound bloody ridiculous to portray you in the exact way in which you sound when you use the claim of infiltration by the "alt-right" when video or factual evidence presented to you, in fact, shows the utter degenerative behavior of Antifa and how in denial its members are. It's the same nonsense.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

No Matt. Your interpretation of why I said it is what is sad.

I didn't think it needed to be spelled out to you but we are where we are. I said that I sometimes use (what you would call) "homophobic" slurs but I also mentioned that in order to do so, intent and context are key.

When I am with my friend we would joke about and I might say something along the lines of "jesus stop being such a f*g" if he does something stereotypically gay. He might call me a "breeder" if I do something stereotypically straight.

There is no intent there and in the context of the situation (i.e two lifelong friends joking about) using what you would consider slurs acceptable.

The reason my friend's sexuality was brought up, is because it is a clear example of when your list of no-no words become redundant. It wasn't to excuse anything. It was to give an example.

And again, to even infer that someone is a homophobe because they know when and where it is acceptable to use certain words is, as I said, laughable.

I wasn't actually surprised when I read their comments. I think that those on the left find it hard to grasp that there are other people in the gay community that are the polar opposite to them when it comes to this kind of outrage mentality and activism that's applied when a phrase is coined. I think they find it hard to grasp that there are gay people who don't agree with them in cases like this.

Says the person who still won't condemn the floss.

Curious if you can find a single use of the below-the-belt upside down okay symbol, outside of the Christchurch shooter, as an example of far-right symbolism.

Time to stick on your best tinfoil hats, ladies and gentlemen. Let us see the evidence for this symbol of fascism, the denial of which is aiding and abetting fascism. Anybody?

Boss I've not heard about the floss outside of it being a dance. I think you're trolling with it.

It's been explained. It started out as a 'joke' but was adopted.
    The circle game is many years old. I know it as you see it you get a dig. So what? Arseholes are using it in relation to white supremacy. The 4chan folk created it and ironically but not funny to me anyway idiots use it in all sincerity. You don't think it happens. Good for you chief ;)

I wasn't actually surprised when I read their comments. I think that those on the left find it hard to grasp that there are other people in the gay community that are the polar opposite to them when it comes to this kind of outrage mentality and activism that's applied when a phrase is coined. I think they find it hard to grasp that there are gay people who don't agree with them in cases like this.

Who's outraged? Differing opinions boss, relax.
    Activism? I suppose you're just a lad posting all casual but people who disagree with you are outraged activists? Give over.
    You've a very one dimensional idea of people. Gay people can be right wing...shocker....not really. You've heard of Leo Varadkar and Morrissey?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,177 ✭✭✭Ironicname

Boss I've not heard about the floss outside of it being a dance. I think you're trolling with it.

Really?

The Christchurch shooter saying in his manifesto that he was radicalised by Fortnite which taught him to floss on the corpses of his enemies?

That **** flew over your head as it was ridiculous I suppose.

But the same guy using the ok gesture should be taken exceptionally seriously.

****ing good one. Consistent.

I knew there was something sinister about the floss from day one..

And actually, the word "boss" when used in a greeting or addressing capacity has been co-opted in its use by members of the travelling community and unless you are a member of the travelling community you should refrain from using it as it is cultural appropriation.

Ironicname wrote: »
    Really?

The Christchurch shooter saying in his manifesto that he was radicalised by Fortnite which taught him to floss on the corpses of his enemies?

That **** flew over your head as it was ridiculous I suppose.

But the same guy using the ok gesture should be taken exceptionally seriously.

****ing good one. Consistent.

His manifesto wasn't widely reported or published. Presume it's difficult to find, probably only on some cesspit like 4chan. The ok symbol has been used by multiple far right people and widely publicised.

20Cent wrote:
    His manifesto wasn't widely reported or published. Presume it's difficult to find, probably only on some cesspit like 4chan.

You presumed wrong. You can find details of it on the right wing cesspit Vox.

Ffs

• Advertisement

You presumed wrong. You can find details of it on the right wing cesspit Vox.

Ffs

Like I said not widely reported on.

Washington post, New York times, rolling stone magazine, guardian, sky news...

Yeah, a veritable media blackout!

Google Christchurch manifesto fortnite

Context and meaning seems to be something some struggle with in this thread.
    If you are scuba diving and someone does the ok symbol to you unless it's Richard Spencer they are probably saying ok. If it's a mass shooter who just killed 51 people in a Mosque in court they are probably signalling to their fascist friends.

It's a common normally innocent symbol because they know some dumbass will support them or claim it's nothing. They can signal to each other in public which we probably don't want.

20Cent wrote:
    It's a common normally innocent symbol because they know some dumbass will support them or claim it's nothing. They can signal to each other in public which we probably don't want.

They could just use WhatsApp or the internet. Seems a little archaic to use sign language.

Occam's razor indicates that it's a wind up that is working particularly well

20Cent wrote:
    If it's a mass shooter who just killed 51 people in a Mosque in court they are probably signalling to their fascist friends.

A manifesto and his actions was a signal to his friends. What further message could be taken from a wind up meme?

They could just use WhatsApp or the internet. Seems a little archaic to use sign language.

Occam's razor indicates that it's a wind up that is working particularly well

WhatsApp isn't public, just the people in the group. To normalise and signal to others it needs to be public. Obvious.

20Cent wrote:
    WhatsApp isn't public, just the people in the group. To normalise and signal to others it needs to be public. Obvious.

But the ok symbol is already normalised. It is you that is allowing the meaning to be co-opted

Like I said not widely reported on.

Yeah, it was clever and funny to begin with, but new people to the thread are going to think you are being serious and the whole thing is going to start over again.

http://nymag.com/intelligencer/2019/03/the-christchurch-shooters-manifesto-isnt-in-code.html
    https://foreignpolicy.com/2019/03/15/how-the-christchurch-shooter-played-the-worlds-media/
    https://www.theatlantic.com/technology/archive/2019/03/the-shooters-manifesto-was-designed-to-troll/585058/
    https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/ryanhatesthis/murder-as-a-meme-white-male-violence-is-being-distributed
    https://nypost.com/2019/03/15/how-alleged-new-zealand-mosque-shooter-went-from-world-traveler-to-hatemonger/
    https://www.newsweek.com/new-zealand-mosque-shooting-manifesto-trump-1364488
    https://apnews.com/aed6b228bd8c47ef89a2062056af0fdb
    https://www.dailymaverick.co.za/opinionista/2019-04-08-that-video-games-cause-violence-is-a-ridiculous-myth/
    https://www.thesun.co.uk/news/8649254/inside-twisted-mind-new-zealand-mosque-terrorist-brenton-tarrant/
    https://knowyourmeme.com/memes/events/2019-christchurch-mosque-shootings
    https://www.unilad.co.uk/featured/new-zealand-shooters-terrorist-manifesto-is-bullsht/
    https://www.kidspot.com.au/parenting/real-life/in-the-news/christchurch-killer-used-fortnite-as-online-training-ground/news-story/3b3099d9466045666bf8c3e5407f0807

Oh, I like the last one. 'Should you be worried about fortnite'. At last - someone here asking the right questions that you sheeple were afraid to raise.

Sheeple lol.
    Do any of those articles mention the floss as a method of signalling to other racists. Nope so different thing.

Very simple don't know why you insist on providing cover for these people.

• Advertisement

Sheeple lol.
    Do any of those articles mention the floss as a method of signalling to other racists. Nope so different thing.

Very simple don't know why you insist on providing cover for these people.

The Christchurch killer said it himself. He said that Fortnite radicalised him. He also urged people to subscribe to PewDiePie. He also made a gesture created to wind up people on the left (which predated his actions or usage).

The only one that you take seriously is the one that was specifically made to wind you up.

Why do you only take that one seriously? Does the appearance of "It's ok to be white" posters also point to you that fascists are on the rise?

Nobody.... literally nobody.... in this thread is covering for, advocating or even shown any inclination that they support white supremacy.

All that has been said is that a meme that was started to show how idiots will fall for, and react to a completely fabricated meaning behind a well recognised symbol shouldn't be taken as a sign of the rise of white supremacy.

On this thread alone, people are comparing it to how the Swastika was hijacked and have said that it cannot be tolerated, proving that the meme was accurate and exceptionally effective.

Perspective guys.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement