Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭statesaver

nthclare wrote: »
    Antifa, now there's a word that I haven't seen come up in board's in a while.

Suffering bejayzus, Antifa Social Justice warriors and their ilk are absolutely what I'd call wannabe terrorists.

A bit like a drunk who knows he's a drunk but can't help picking up a drink.
    Sick, childish individuals.

I hung out with SJWs around 5 year's ago, they get an emotional hangover if they're happy.
    It's not normal for them to be happy.
    There's something wrong with them when they have nothing to fight for.

Self destructive narcissistic people.

There's a cure all right, but that's debatable.

A high proportion of mental illness

• Closed Accounts Posts: 660 ✭✭✭Tasfasdf

20Cent wrote: »
    Someones triggered lol

ok boomer

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

List out the 100 million people killed by the far left?..

In 1994, R. J. Rummel's book Death by Government included about 110 million people, foreign and domestic, killed by communist democide from 1900 to 1987.
    In 1999, the Stéphane Courtois introduction to the Black Book of Communism gave a "rough approximation, based on unofficial estimates" approaching 100 million killed.[r] In his foreword to the book, Martin Malia noted "a grand total of victims variously estimated by contributors to the volume at between 85 million and 100 million".
    In 2005, Benjamin Valentino stated that the number of non-combatants killed by communist regimes in the Soviet Union, People's Republic of China and Cambodia alone ranged from a low of 21 million to a high of 70 million.[t] Citing Rummel and others, Valentino stated that the "highest end of the plausible range of deaths attributed to communist regimes" was up to 110 million".[t][v]
    In 2010, Steven Rosefielde's book Red Holocaust said that communism's internal contradictions "caused to be killed" approximately 60 million people and perhaps tens of millions more.[33]
    In 2016, the Dissident blog of the Victims of Communism Memorial Foundation made an effort to compile updated ranges of estimates and concluded that the overall range "spans from 42,870,000 to 161,990,000" killed, with 100 million the most commonly cited figure.[x]
    In 2017, Professor Stephen Kotkin wrote in The Wall Street Journal that communism killed at least 65 million people between 1917 and 2017: "Though communism has killed huge numbers of people intentionally, even more of its victims have died from starvation as a result of its cruel projects of social engineering".[y][34]

Its pretty widely accepted that communism has killed 100 million people.

• Administrators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 76,675 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Beasty

CQD and 20Cent - as you seem to have very little constructive to say do not post in this thread again

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭mynamejeff

i wonder what 20cents rereg will be ?

• Advertisement

Haha...

If antifa hated only fascists and racists, I can safely say the majority of us would be with them...

However, not being completely ok with abortion, not being comfortable with men in women only spaces, disagreeing with illegal immigration and positive discrimination or questioning a pay gap will have you on the alt right list and a candidate for abuse and exclusion from any public discourse if they see fit.

Nobody is championing anyone who murders in the name of bigotry, nobody I know would even dare. Yet a lot of people I know would be lumped in with those people just because they hold an opinion that isn't the political acceptable one of today.

You are attempting to do it. You are trying to say that we think antifa are as anyone who murders in the name of the "alt right". We are not. I and anyone I know would denounce that behaviour, even though they may agree politically with me. They have nothing to do with me

We are saying that antifa are thugs and a horrible organisation to associate with due to their propensity for violence and shutting down anything they deem to be hateful. I am hugely uncomfortable with that as I don't think such a mob should or could be arbiters of what I am allowed say or what opinion I am allowed hold.

That's just not true. There is no "thought police" trying to shut down differing opinions. It's baseless propaganda made up to discredit the 'alt-left' whatever TF that's supposed to mean. There are extremist idiots who hold that view, but a few outliers does not a movement make.

I was responding to a person who said the left are motivated by hatred. That is also not true. They are motivated by a hatred for dangerous, right-wing racism, prejudice and extremist ideology, which should be encouraged.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

mynamejeff wrote: »
    i wonder what 20cents rereg will be ?

80Centshortaeuro

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,315 ✭✭✭nthclare

That's just not true. There is no "thought police" trying to shut down differing opinions. It's baseless propaganda made up to discredit the 'alt-left' whatever TF that's supposed to mean. There are extremist idiots who hold that view, but a few outliers does not a movement make.

I was responding to a person who said the left are motivated by hatred. That is also not true. They are motivated by a hatred for dangerous, right-wing racism, prejudice and extremist ideology, which should be encouraged.

I can't stand either the far left or the far right.
    Hated skinheads and arty fartys, back in the day.
    Now I think they're like fillers in society, like grout in-between floor tiles or cement between bricks on a wall.

Moderation is the key now.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,851 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It's become a moral crusade against all they deem as sinners, the real hatred the radical left have is for differing internal factions.

Heretics are the most despised.

The modern left should not be confused with the broad left of the past.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

nthclare wrote: »
    I can't stand either the far left or the far right.
    Hated skinheads and arty fartys, back in the day.
    Now I think they're like fillers in society, like grout in-between floor tiles or cement between bricks on a wall.

Moderation is the key now.

Absolutely correct. The issue today is not the alt right though, it's the alt left.
    And the irony is the rise in the alt left results in a rise in the alt right.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

AllForIt wrote: »
    Absolutely correct. The issue today is not the alt right though, it's the alt left.
    And the irony is the rise in the alt left results in a rise in the alt right.
    An absolute crock of sh!te :pac: :pac:

The alt right's biggest hero is somehow the most powerful man in the world but the issue today is the "alt left"

Outstanding

I wish it wasn't true but it is. Clearly.

It has been documented and proudly promoted by antifa that they have shut down speeches from Ben Shapiro, Milo, Katie Hopkins, Rubin, Peterson...the list goes on and on. Comedians will not perform on college campuses because they are afraid of their jokes being misinterpreted and them being cancelled for offending the left.

Right wing racism isn't a thing. Racism by people who happen to be right wing is a thing and something that most people, regardless of their political leanings would denounce. However, interpreting something a right wing person says as racist is on the rise. A lot of what is called racist, homophobic or mysogynist these days is entirely based on the person's demographic and whether you agree with them.

I don't hear a lot of the left still banging on about Trudeau in blackface. If that was someone they didn't like, I guarantee the backlash would still be furious.

The extreme left these days, at least the left that are given far too much attention and sway in the media and of course antifa, are motivated by nothing other than hatred of anyone who doesn't agree with their own interpretation of what they consider offensive.

They can go **** themselves. Different opinions aren't dangerous. What is dangerous is telling others they aren't allowed hold different opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 8,454 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Billy Mays wrote: »
    An absolute crock of sh!te :pac: :pac:

The alt right's biggest hero is somehow the most powerful man in the world but the issue today is the "alt left"

Outstanding

It funny because after I posted it immediately occurred to me that someone is going to mention Donald Trump. But then I thought, if Donald Trump epitomizes today's alt-right threat then we have absolutely nothing to worry about, and in any case that Donald Trump was elected proves my point anyway.

When presented with a binary choice, i.e in the US presidential election and in a similar way in the UK with 2 major party's, there's generally 1 of 2 explanations why one would vote they way they do - either 1 option is exactly what they want, or one option is absolutely the last thing they want so it's a no brainier to vote the other way . In the UK that's exactly what happened, even Boris was better than comrade Corybn.

AllForIt wrote: »
    It funny because after I posted it immediately occurred to me that someone is going to mention Donald Trump. But then I thought, if Donald Trump epitomizes today's alt-right threat then we have absolutely nothing to worry about, and in any case that Donald Trump was elected proves my point anyway.

When presented with a binary choice, i.e in the US presidential election and in a similar way in the UK with 2 major party's, there's generally 1 of 2 explanations why one would vote they way they do - either 1 option is exactly what they want, or one option is absolutely the last thing they want so it's a no brainier to vote the other way . In the UK that's exactly what happened, even Boris was better than comrade Corybn.

It's actually hilarious.

People are still banging on about trump saying "grab em by the pussy" and about corruption in the election.

The same people are remarkably silent regarding the videos of him sniffing children, his obvious mental deterioration and the accusations of sexual assault against him.

Seems like believing all women only extends to women who are in agreement with the left dogma.

Anyone who doesn't isnt worth defending. Clinton's rape accusers? **** all sympathy. Bidens assault accusers? **** all sympathy. Why is that?

Perhaps they should start a new #imwithher movement and call it #imwithheraslongasweagreeideologically

Not as catchy I suppose.

(For what it's worth, I am not accusing Biden of anything and am not saying he is guilty)

I wish it wasn't true but it is. Clearly.

It has been documented and proudly promoted by antifa that they have shut down speeches from Ben Shapiro, Milo, Katie Hopkins, Rubin, Peterson...the list goes on and on. Comedians will not perform on college campuses because they are afraid of their jokes being misinterpreted and them being cancelled for offending the left.

Right wing racism isn't a thing. Racism by people who happen to be right wing is a thing and something that most people, regardless of their political leanings would denounce. However, interpreting something a right wing person says as racist is on the rise. A lot of what is called racist, homophobic or mysogynist these days is entirely based on the person's demographic and whether you agree with them.

I don't hear a lot of the left still banging on about Trudeau in blackface. If that was someone they didn't like, I guarantee the backlash would still be furious.

The extreme left these days, at least the left that are given far too much attention and sway in the media and of course antifa, are motivated by nothing other than hatred of anyone who doesn't agree with their own interpretation of what they consider offensive.

They can go **** themselves. Different opinions aren't dangerous. What is dangerous is telling others they aren't allowed hold different opinions

You're essentially saying "Don't judge everybody on the right by the actions of a few" while judging everybody on the left by the actions of a few. There's no consistency in what you are saying. Also, for the record, right wing racism is most definitely a thing, ine which should be exterminated from any civil society.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

You're essentially saying "Don't judge everybody on the right by the actions of a few" while judging everybody on the left by the actions of a few. There's no consistency in what you are saying. Also, for the record, right wing racism is most definitely a thing, ine which should be exterminated from any civil society.

Welcome to the Antifa thread. There's months of this hypocrisy to deal with.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

You missed the bit where i said the extreme left who dominate the media/social media and of course antifa who openly applaud and encourage silencing oppositioñ at any cost.

I'm saying judge any violent right wing activist absolutely by his actions and even if I agree with some of his ideology, I will denounce his actions.

I'm not saying that all left wing leaning people are horrible people, but anyone who supports antifa is.

I also think anyone who is a Nazi or anyone who is a white supremacist is a horrible bastard too

And no, right wing racism is not a thing. Racism carried out by right wingers is. Racism is racism. Same as people feeling ok to use the "straight, white, male" moniker Adnan insult. That is as equally egregious as using gay, black, woman as an insult. Either using someone's sexuality, sex or ethnicity in a negative way or to demean is bigoted, racist and sexist when applied to all or else it's not bigoted racist or sexist at all

Brian? wrote: »
    Welcome to the Antifa thread. There's months of this hypocrisy to deal with.

Indeed there is. It's impossible to discuss antifa without noting hypocrisy.

The whole premise of antifa is allegedly to denounce and deplatform fascism.

What it is in reality is a group of exceptionally left leaning fantasists who want anything they disagree with to be deemed inappropriate and labelled as hate speech or failing that silenced.

Indeed there is. It's impossible to discuss antifa without noting hypocrisy.

The whole premise of antifa is allegedly to denounce and deplatform fascism.

What it is in reality is a group of exceptionally left leaning fantasists who want anything they disagree with to be deemed inappropriate and labelled as hate speech or failing that silenced.

And again: "Everyone on the left is typified by the most extreme example I can come up with, but don't dare label everyone on the right as racists because they're only a small minority".

How do you expect anybody to enter into a debate with you when you're being intellectually dishonest? The deck is stacked, in your favour, and typically those who do that are so entrenched in their opinion that it is fruitless entering into debate with them in the first instance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 949 ✭✭✭Woodsie1

And again: "Everyone on the left is typified by the most extreme example I can come up with, but don't dare label everyone on the right as racists because they're only a small minority".

How do you expect anybody to enter into a debate with you when you're being intellectually dishonest? The deck is stacked, in your favour, and typically those who do that are so entrenched in their opinion that it is fruitless entering into debate with them in the first instance.

You put words in quotes that the dunne hasn't said and then accuse them of being intellectually dishonest?
    Take a break lad,your confusing yourself.

• Advertisement

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    You put words in quotes that the dunne hasn't said and then accuse them of being intellectually dishonest?
    Take a break lad,your confusing yourself.

I'm well aware of how to use the quote button when you want to directly quote somebody, as you can see. I was summarising what he was saying, hence the quotation marks and me opening the previous post with "what you are essentially saying is....."

Do try to keep up, lad.

I'm well aware of how to use the quote button when you want to directly quote somebody, as you can see. I was summarising what he was saying, hence the quotation marks and me opening the previous post with "what you are essentially saying is....."

Do try to keep up, lad.
    Pull the other one,
    You made up something,attributed it to the dunne and then argued against something they never said.
    You're fooling no one except yourself.

"What you are essential saying is....."
    You've no argument,or can't argue anything said so made up something to argue against.
    Intellectually dishonest is right.

Woodsie1 wrote: »
    Pull the other one,
    You made up something,attributed it to the dunne and then argued against something they never said.
    You're fooling no one except yourself.

"What you are essential saying is....."
    You've no argument,or can't argue anything said so made up something to argue against.
    Intellectually dishonest is right.

Define irony: arguing against the snowflake generation and getting offended on behalf of someone else while doing so

I quoted posts he made and argued points he'd made therein, posts to which he has responded without mentioning whatever fabricated bull**** you're imagining on his behalf, so maybe leave the grown ups to have a discussion, yeah?

The irony in all of this is that the extreme left SJW rubbish that is prevalent in the media is predominantly shown by the right wing media channels, often as a "look at these lunatics" side piece.

I'm saying judge any violent right wing activist absolutely by his actions and even if I agree with some of his ideology, I will denounce his actions.

I'm not saying that all left wing leaning people are horrible people, but anyone who supports antifa is.

For the avoidance of doubt, there it is in black and white. "Judge right wingers by their actions......anyone who supports antifa is horrible".

He's tarring everyone on one side with a huge brush and saying the extremists on his side aren't representative of the the others. How convenient.

Define irony: arguing against the snowflake generation and getting offended on behalf of someone else while doing so

I quoted posts he made and argued points he'd made therein, posts to which he has responded without mentioning whatever fabricated bull**** you're imagining on his behalf, so maybe leave the grown ups to have a discussion, yeah?

The irony in all of this is that the extreme left SJW rubbish that is prevalent in the media is predominantly shown by the right wing media channels, often as a "look at these lunatics" side piece.

I am a "grown up".
    You're the only person that "fabricated" anything.
    Speaks about getting offended and posts a long winded rant with silly attempt at insulting me.
    Irony indeed.
    Think you lefties call it TRIGGERED!!!

For the avoidance of doubt, there it is in black and white. "Judge right wingers by their actions......anyone who supports antifa is horrible".

He's tarring everyone on one side with a huge brush and saying the extremists on his side aren't representative of the the others. How convenient.

And I stick by that statement. Anyone who supports a horrible group like antifa is a horrible person. I'm judging those people on their action of supporting a violent, intolerant group.

This in no way is speaking about some people on the left who may have some shared values with antifa yet can denounce them as the **** that they are.

The only people I am tarring with the same brush are antifa and people who support them. Why are you attempting (and failing) to say that I am accusing every left leaning person to be horrible?

It's almost as if you think that everyone on the left automatically is an antifa supporter. I don't think that. I don't believe people on the right or left automatically go to extremes, so no I don't think the actions of extremists are indicative of the rest. That applies on both sides. I've no idea why you are trying to make it out like that isnt exactly what I was saying.

Another example of irony would be the fact that using "leave the grown ups to have a discussion" does nothing except highlight your inability to discuss without sounding childlike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,693 ✭✭✭2u2me

Antifa have a flag. What flag do 'right-wingers' have?

2u2me wrote: »
    Antifa have a flag. What flag do 'right-wingers' have?

JO5SYWUBEYI6PAX3J5I5IG65JM.jpg

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement