Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Jews are just as good at playing the victim act.

Jews being nervous about the rise of fascism are “playing the victim”? I think you should go so sit down and think about that one.

Maybe watch Schindlers List. Or read a history book.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 19,802 ✭✭✭✭suicide_circus

Brian? wrote: »
    Jews being nervous about the rise of fascism are “playing the victim”? I think you should go so sit down and think about that one.

The amount of actual bona fide dyed in the wool fascists in the west is miniscule. There are, on the other hand, millions upon millions of people who would say they are opposed to fascism, anti-fascists if you will. So fascism is in no danger of taking hold in the west in any meaningful way.

Antifa are anti "the man". Anti capitalist.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Unless the Jews are bankrolling Antifa they have no reason to fear Trump declaring Antifa a terrorist group.

The amount of actual bona fide dyed in the wool fascists in the west is miniscule. There are, on the other hand, millions upon millions of people who would say they are opposed to fascism, anti-fascists if you will. So fascism is in no danger of taking hold in the west in any meaningful way.

Antifa are anti "the man". Anti capitalist.

fascist is like nazi and racist now that its gets thrown around way too much now they have lost their meaning.

Unless the Jews are bankrolling Antifa they have no reason to fear Trump declaring Antifa a terrorist group.

It's in relation to him pushing a claim that there's secret groups pushing the protests. It's entirely similar to the conspiracies that was pushed about Jews during world war 2. Right wing commentators have hooked George Soros into these conspiracies who is subjected to loads of anti-semitic conspiracies. Trump has fueled this with his rhetoric.

• Advertisement

It's in relation to him pushing a claim that there's secret groups pushing the protests. It's entirely similar to the conspiracies that was pushed about Jews during world war 2. Right wing commentators have hooked George Soros into these conspiracies who is subjected to loads of anti-semitic conspiracies. Trump has fueled this with his rhetoric.

So they can't prove he's going after them, but they just want to have a cry over it anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,315 ✭✭✭deceit

Whatever about any of George Soros politics, I think its crazy to compare disliking one man George Soros (An atheist who despises his Jewish heritage, who openly dislikes Jews himself and feels no regret for being a Nazi collaborator) and the horrors Jews went through during World war 2.

deceit wrote: »
    Whatever about any of George Soros politics, I think its crazy to compare disliking one man George Soros (An atheist who despises his Jewish heritage, who openly dislikes Jews himself and feels no regret for being a Nazi collaborator) and the horrors Jews went through during World war 2.

And there we go, pushing falsehoods about him...

• Registered Users Posts: 41,080 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

Disliking? Have you seen the amount of extreme hate targeted against him. Its not mere dislike.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

This is an outright slur that conspiracy theorists, usually of the far-right variety, throw at Soros. The slur being both that he was a Nazi collaborator, and that he feels no regret about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

This is an outright slur that conspiracy theorists, usually of the far-right variety, throw at Soros. The slur being both that he was a Nazi collaborator, and that he feels no regret about it.

You might be surprised where this stuff about Soros began:

The Unbelievable Story Of The Plot Against George Soros -
    How two Jewish American political consultants helped create the world’s largest anti-Semitic conspiracy theory.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hnsgrassegger/george-soros-conspiracy-finkelstein-birnbaum-orban-netanyahu

What way do you take his interview on 60 minutes from 1998?

What way do you take his interview on 60 minutes video from 1998?

He was fourteen and pretending not to be a jew to survive. You guys always tend to ignore that he actively resisted. It's a pretty awful thing to do, claiming a survivor of world war 2 was a Nazi collaborator...
    This was a profoundly important experience for me. My father said, “You should go ahead and deliver [the summonses], but tell the people that if they report they will be deported.” The reply from one man was “I am a law-abiding citizen. They can’t do anything to me.” I told my father, and that was an occasion for a lecture that there are times when you have laws that are immoral, and if you obey them you perish.
    https://www.newyorker.com/magazine/2001/10/15/a-soros-survivors-guide
    https://www.vox.com/2018/6/11/17405784/george-soros-not-a-nazi-trump

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭dwayneshintzy

You might be surprised where this stuff about Soros began:

The Unbelievable Story Of The Plot Against George Soros -
    How two Jewish American political consultants helped create the world’s largest anti-Semitic conspiracy theory.

https://www.buzzfeednews.com/article/hnsgrassegger/george-soros-conspiracy-finkelstein-birnbaum-orban-netanyahu

Any chance you have a link to a shortened version or somewhere that just gets to the point in a paragraph or two? I'm working this morning so don't have the time to read this rambling?
    It may be a more interesting read if I wasn't short on time.

You know what, if you start a sentence with "The Jews/Blacks/Chinese/Irish" you should really stop and think about what you're going to say next.

Best case scenario you're making lazy generalisations about an ethnic group. I find it's rarely the beat case scenario these days though.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 776 ✭✭✭Clarence Boddiker

Well he was taken along with his benefactor to confiscate Jewish assets..he also said that he learned a lot about business at this time. Collaborator is a bit of a stretch though.

Well he was taken along with his benefactor to confiscate Jewish assets..he also said that he learned a lot about business at this time. Collaborator is a bit of a stretch though.

Cool, so you're gonna ignore the fact that he warned jews that they were gonna be captured? That's a form of resistance...

• Registered Users Posts: 1,061 ✭✭✭MontgomeryClift

Any chance you have a link to a shortened version or somewhere that just gets to the point in a paragraph or two? I'm working this morning so don't have the time to read this rambling?
    It may be a more interesting read if I wasn't short on time.

TLDR:

In the absence of a recognisable enemy, two Jews, Eli Birnbaum and Republican campaign veteran Arthur Finkelstein made George Soros the demonic figurehead of Victor Orban's election campaign, starting in 2008.

Finkelstein made his name by getting right wing outsider Benjamin Netanyahu elected against veteran Shimon Peres in 1995.
    “It always helps rally the troops and rally a population” when the enemy has a face, Birnbaum explained.

... Against this backdrop, Finkelstein had an epiphany. What if the veil of the conspiracy were to be lifted and a shadowy figure appear, controlling everything? The puppet master. Someone who not only controlled the “big capital” but embodied it. A real person. A Hungarian. Strange, yet familiar.

Orbán was also one of the more than 15,000 students who received scholarships from Soros’s Open Society Foundations. Thanks to Soros, Orbán studied philosophy in Oxford.

There didn’t really seem to be a reason to turn against [Soros] in Hungary.

But Finkelstein and Birnbaum saw something in Soros that would make him the perfect enemy. There’s a long history of criticism of Soros, dating back to 1992, when Soros earned $1 billion overnight betting against the British pound. For many on the left, Soros was a vulture. But Soros used his sudden prominence to push for liberal ideas. He supported everything the right was against: climate protection, equality, the Clintons. He opposed the second Iraq War in 2003, even comparing George W. Bush to the Nazis, and became a major donor for the Democrats. He was soon a hate figure for the Republicans.

When Soros said in 2015 that the EU must prepare for a million immigrants a year, Orban and his team used this as further evidence that Soros wanted to flood Hungary with immigrants.

Birnbaum, an observant Jew and a Zionist like Finkelstein, claims not to have known Soros was a Jew, and that his being Jewish was never a factor when they chose him as a personification of the enemy.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,349 ✭✭✭Jimmy Garlic

Opportunist would be more accurate. As with all psychopaths they don’t care who they side with, who they steal from or their own people. They will stab anyone in the back, betray for pay and do despicable things if there is something in it for them. Soros is a psychopath to his very core, psychopathy oozes from his withered old sack of bones.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

ll
    Opportunist would be more accurate. As with all psychopaths they don’t care who they side with, who they steal from or their own people. They will stab anyone in the back, betray for pay and do despicable things if there is something in it for them. Soros is a psychopath to his very core, psychopathy oozes from his withered old sack of bones.

thank you for your well informed psychological analysis

I always wonder how people get trapped into believing this lunatic conspiracy nonsense about Soros and Gates.

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

You know what, if you start a sentence with "The Jews/Blacks/Chinese/Irish" you should really stop and think about what you're going to say next.

Best case scenario you're making lazy generalisations about an ethnic group. I find it's rarely the beat case scenario these days though.

Also bringing in all the anti semetic tropes about Jews and money too.

Terry Pratchet

Also bringing in all the anti semetic tropes about Jews and money too.

Well I would love to hear your [and Beasty's] theory about why they're getting butt hurt about Trump declaring a group that is heavily involved in the riots a terrorists.

If You can't or won't then make maybe should shut the **** up with the baseless accusations.

Well I would love to hear your [and Beasty's] theory about why they're getting butt hurt about Trump declaring a group that is heavily involved in the riots a terrorists.

If You can't or won't then make maybe should shut the **** up with the baseless accusations.

where is the evidence they are heavily involved? the FBI dont think they are involved. Plenty of right wing groups that are involved but trump would never declare them as terrorist organisations.

where is the evidence they are heavily involved? the FBI dont think they are involved. Plenty of right wing groups that are involved but trump would never declare them as terrorist organisations.

I never said they were [a person with a brain would notice difference between speculation and accusation]

I never said they were [a person with a brain would notice difference between speculation and accusation]

so you dont understand why people would have a problem with trump declaring them a terrorist organisation based on no evidence?

What baseless accusations? You introduced antisemetic tropes into the discussion.

Terry Pratchet

Here's the problem in a nutshell. "They" I.e. "The Jews" aren't doing any such thing. Just because one or many Jewish people saw something it doesn't mean the whole group are saying it.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

Here's the problem in a nutshell. "They" I.e. "The Jews" aren't doing any such thing. Just because one or many Jewish people saw something it doesn't mean the whole group are saying it.

So you're crying for the sake of it. Good to know.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement