Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Overheal wrote: »
    And hillary will be in handcuffs any day now

- famous last words, 2012.

it is lucky that trump likes orange

• Registered Users Posts: 83,534 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

it is lucky that trump likes orange

Just not enough to buy a legal voting address in Florida

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,488 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

notobtuse wrote: »
    I found it interesting in an interview with Attorney General William Barr that I saw. The question was posed to him about what the Department of Justice was doing about Antifa in light of the recent videos put out by Project Veritas. His answer was that they’re going after the money. Interesting answer because if the DOJ uses RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) against Antifa, some very prominent and powerful names could get caught up with Antifa and prosecuted.

The money? That will be interesting. Wonder how anyone would be funding an organisation that doesn't exist.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,817 ✭✭✭Tea drinker

Retr0gamer wrote: »
    I won't, because a group from the 1930's has nothing to do with what is happening now. As I said Antifa aren't left, they are anarchist. Pretty sure the Nazi's blamed a lot of their own crimes on antifa and communists to gain favour. Kind of parables with the far right at the moment blaming anarchist activities on anarchists.

I've no love for people that would associate themselves with Antifa and their violent methods. But similarly any left or far left leaning person would not support these loonies either. They aren't left or far-left. They are just anarchists out for trouble. Unlike the right who are associated with far-right militant groups and support them.

What's left though? What's alt-left? According to the last Irish election if you don't support unfettered abortion you aren't left. I think the pace of change is such that people don't even understand the groups they identify with, and if they do it's only for a short time until the next big manufactured crisis comes along.
    I found it interesting in an interview with Attorney General William Barr that I saw. The question was posed to him about what the Department of Justice was doing about Antifa in light of the recent videos put out by Project Veritas. His answer was that they’re going after the money. Interesting answer because if the DOJ uses RICO (Racketeer Influenced and Corrupt Organizations Act) against Antifa, some very prominent and powerful names could get caught up with Antifa and prosecuted.
    Trouble with that is these people become martyrs. Very easy for Hollywood and the News Entertainment channels to paint the oppressed struggling multi millionaire

• Registered Users Posts: 5,424 ✭✭✭notobtuse

The money? That will be interesting. Wonder how anyone would be funding an organisation that doesn't exist.
    Keep thinking that, and give my regards to the White Rabbit on your travels.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

Yep Hillary in chains any day now. Just follow the white rabbit. Q

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 51,488 CMod ✭✭✭✭Retr0gamer

Keep thinking that, and give my regards to the White Rabbit on your travels.

OBAMAGATE!

What powerful names do you think are funding the group with no hierarchy or organisation for that matter?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

Surely nobody beyond the same idiots watching Rebel Media videos in their basements take Project Veritas seriously? It's the most hilariously obvious propaganda imaginable, complete with dodgy editing and spooky music.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

Well I never said anarchists were particularly forward thinking people

I thought you post was sarcasm, suggesting I thought both ideologies were similar no?

• Advertisement

The issue is that 'Antifa' is being applied to people that don't even associate themselves with Antifa. It's anyone that the GOP doesn't agree with. Do you really think the looters are Antifa and all below to some organisation that's a left wing conspiracy? Or are the just opportunists looking to gain from the violence. But then the GOP never let facts get in the way of votes and label them alt-left and Antifa. Most probably don't give a toss about Antifa or politics.

Man pushed over by police? GOP says he must be an Antifa antagonist.

People upset over police brutality and inherent racism within america? Label them Antifa and file them away with the left.

I believe some of them are. No I don't think there is some conspiracy. Though like everything in AMerica the left want to play Antifa down because they make the left look bad and the right want to do the reverse.

The left aren't playing them down. They are distancing themselves from them as Antifa violence has absolutely nothing to do with left ideologies or politics.

And yes the right is trying to associate Antifa with the left to try and tarnish the publics view of the left and take the spotlight away from the GOP's questionable relationships with hate groups and disaster capitalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 640 ✭✭✭da_miser

......... rather than Antifa being any kind of group or organisation. But it's a handy catch all phrase to use and to lump the left wing in with to try and soil their name despite there being no connection between them.

I sure Antifa/Dems don't need any help from the Republicans to sully their own name, they are doing a mighty fine job in the CHAZ and Dem controlled cities all over the states, the ones with the sky high crime rates.

Brian? wrote: »
    #antifa? How do we know Antifa were involved? Are we supposed to take the word of a guy who’s a known liar, forging a career out of taking on Antifa? I’d prefer a corroborating source that I could trust.

Sources familiar with someone close to the president have hear a rumour that the president may be considering this that and the other.
    The above is a golden source as far as the left is concerned, but someone on the ground says it Antifa, cant possible be true, he is a Nazi.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

da_miser wrote: »
    Sources familiar with someone close to the president have hear a rumour that the president may be considering this that and the other.
    The above is a golden source as far as the left is concerned,
    but someone on the ground says it Antifa, cant possible be true, he is a Nazi.

are you having a stroke? you're making no sense at all.

The left aren't playing them down. They are distancing themselves from them as Antifa violence has absolutely nothing to do with left ideologies or politics.

And yes the right is trying to associate Antifa with the left to try and tarnish the publics view of the left and take the spotlight away from the GOP's questionable relationships with hate groups and disaster capitalists.

Ah yes. The auld left good, right bad mantra. I'm just not bothered.

The above is a golden source as far as the left is concerned, but someone on the ground says it Antifa, cant possible be true, he is a Nazi.

The FBI have stated that there's no indications of Antifa being involved but did cite concerns about far right groups.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

Well I never said anarchists were particularly forward thinking people

Some are idiots, some are great people.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Some are idiots, some are great people.

Very fine people

What powerful names do you think are funding the group with no hierarchy or organisation for that matter?
    Attorney General William Barr said Thursday that the federal government has evidence that the radical left-wing antifa movement as well as other extremist groups have "hijacked" legitimate protests around the country to incite violence, and said certain "foreign actors" are seizing on the unrest to sow discord in the U.S.

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ag-barr-evidence-antifa-foreign-actors-involved-sowing/story?id=71066996

George Soros is the biggest name, but other big money actors that might be involved include Warren Buffett and Bill Gates.

You can ignorantly accuse me of "whataboutism," but what it really is involves identifying similar scenarios in order to see if it holds up when the shoe is on the other foot!

• Advertisement

I thought you post was sarcasm, suggesting I thought both ideologies were similar no?

You think fascism and anarchism are similar?

I'm quite happy to educate you if you do.

they/them/theirs

Andy Ngo is a proven liar. He's a right wing grifter earning money from creating a bogeyman out of Antifa. No one is calling him a Nazi, so put out that Straw man.

they/them/theirs

https://abcnews.go.com/Politics/ag-barr-evidence-antifa-foreign-actors-involved-sowing/story?id=71066996

George Soros is the biggest name, but other big money actors that might be involved include Warren Buffett and Bill Gates.

I did expect you to say that, you're pushing nothing more than unfounded conspiracy theories at this point. The targeting of Soros is particularly reminiscent of the propaganda Orban pushes about him.

The holy trinity of conspiracy theory bogeyman.

they/them/theirs

I did expect you to say that, you're pushing nothing more than unfounded conspiracy theories at this point. The targeting of Soros is particularly reminiscent of the propaganda Orban pushes about him.
    Don't shoot the messenger.

Bill Barr says "foreign actors" are involved and you name 3 Americans. Which is it?

they/them/theirs

You think fascism and anarchism are similar?

I'm quite happy to educate you if you do.

Ha no I absolutely do no think that!

Very fine people
    https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/antifa-domestic-terrorists-us-security-agencies-homeland-security-fbi-a7927881.html

Antifa from 2017, law is all over them , i expect we will see many in prison before the election

Old news piece but you already knew that you obtuse fellow.

FBI has, much more recently than Barrs wild accusations, publicly affirmed its bunk and they have no indications of Antifa activity in relation to any cases brought before the DOJ regarding the protests. So try another

https://www.npr.org/2020/06/09/873278314/no-sign-of-antifa-so-far-in-justice-department-cases-brought-over-unrest

• Advertisement

https://www.independent.co.uk/news/world/americas/antifa-domestic-terrorists-us-security-agencies-homeland-security-fbi-a7927881.html

Antifa from 2017, law is all over them , i expect we will see many in prison before the election

I don’t see the relevance. Antifa haven’t been involved in criminal conduct surrounding the protests, this according to the FBI, the very same FBI from your link that purportedly labeled a non-organization a terrorist organization.

To date, Antifa is not designated a terror organization.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/politics/2020/06/11/no-trump-probably-cant-list-antifa-terrorist-group-heres-what-hes-really-doing/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement