Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,434 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

This is the last I will say on our matter as it has been rightfully pointed out that this exchange should have been done by PM but I feel that this post deserves a public response.

I have nothing to apologise for. I did not call you a liar. I said you were dishonest and your posting history on this thread shows your blatant tacit support for antifa.

I stand by that.

I abhor antifa and their supporters. My contributions to this thread back up this. At least I have the courage to declare my position in the matter.

Calling someone dishonest and then saying you didn't call them a liar is cowardice. It takes no courage. You can't be dishonest without being a liar. You should be apologising or supporting the accusation. Instead you're running away.

If you think I support Antifa. You're wrong. I don't.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

Brian? wrote: »
    I can look up my own posts? You think that's enough to call me a liar, disgraceful.

I don't see where they called you a liar.
    You're right. I'll wait for my apology by PM.

The arrogance.

Calling someone dishonest and then saying you didn't call them a liar is cowardice. It takes no courage. You can't be dishonest without being a liar. You should be apologising or supporting the accusation. Instead you're running away.

If you think I support Antifa. You're wrong. I don't.

I don't believe you.

Can we please drop it or take it to pm? I feel that I need to publicly respond when you directly confront me but it is not lending anything to the discussion.

This will definitely be my last post on this thread with regards to our disagreement on this particular issue.

My sincere apologies to everyone else who may have felt I was derailing the thread.

I don't see where they called you a liar.

I've been asked multiple times by that post if I support Antifa, I said no. They say they don't believe me. That's calling me a liar.
    The arrogance.

I ask for proof to support the assertion that I support Antifa. I'm told to read my own posts. And I'm arrogant? Are you for real?

they/them/theirs

I don't believe you.

You're saying something I said isn't true. You're calling me a liar AGAIN
    Can we please drop it or take it to pm? I feel that I need to publicly respond when you directly confront me but it is not lending anything to the discussion.

This will definitely be my last post on this thread with regards to our disagreement on this particular issue.

My sincere apologies to everyone else who may have felt I was derailing the thread.

You call me a liar repeatedly in public. Why would I take it to PM. Apologise in public or prove I'm a liar in public.

I also feel bad that the thread has been derailed. But I'm the one being insulted repeatedly.

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

I have an allegiance to the truth.

I really don’t care if people say “mean things” about them. I care if people lie.

There were hundreds of thousands of peaceful protesters in the US and a minority of violent protesters. Painting them all as Antifa is just another attempt to undermine the peaceful protests.

How many times have I told you I don’t support Antifa now? I support the peaceful protests.

As someone with an allegience to truth, do you think trans woman are woman?

:D

(I'm joking don't answer)

As someone with an allegience to truth, do you think trans woman are woman?

:D

(I'm joking don't answer)

Haha. Brilliant.

You've told me plenty of times. I just don't believe you.

And the FBI are lying too?

I have absolutely no idea if the FBI have a stance on Brian's opinion on antifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

I've been asked multiple times by that post if I support Antifa, I said no. They say they don't believe me. That's calling me a liar.

I ask for proof to support the assertion that I support Antifa. I'm told to read my own posts. And I'm arrogant? Are you for real?

If a user was constantly defending the KKK on here whenever claims were made about them, taking offence whenever they were insulted, saying they supported their goals and ideas, just not their use of violence, wouldn't you say that at some level they did support the KKK? I think you would.

Well, you have done all the above. You've been defending Antifa for years, jumping on users who have a go at them, or insult them, or miscategorize them (in your view) and then when challenged resort to pointing out that you don't support any group using violence (just sometimes find it funny when it's used on "Neo-Nazis") and so couldn't possibly support them.

Yeah, nobody's buying it. Nobody could take such great offence at a group being mislabeled and accused of things which are felt to be inaccurate unless at some level they supported that group. Indeed your posts say as much:
    I’ve never said I support Antifa, just that I am sympathetic to the cause of opposing fascism and I believe the threat they present is completely overhyped.
    If you believe Antifa are a terrorist threat, you have been fooled into believing it. Because no real evidence exists to support this assertion.
    Even Antifa aren’t an homogeneous group. More of a loose coalition of fringe groups. I disagree with some of their methods, but I agree with their cause.
    Some members of Antifa are idiots who are quick to violence. But there is no unifying organisation of Antifa. It’s not an homogeneous organisation with a centralised leadership and a set of governing rules. So no, I can’t condemn Antifa. I can condemn some of the things Antifa do. These 2 things are not a contradiction.
    Calling antifa fascists is a lazy smear.
    I disagree with people calling Antifa terrorists. I disagree that Antifa are really much of a threat.
    If Antifa went around randomly attacking people, no way I’d support them. But that’s not what they do.

In short I think it's fair to say that you are an Antifa supporter who just wishes they didn't use violence.

• Advertisement

If a user was constantly defending the KKK on here whenever claims were made about them, taking offence whenever they were insulted, saying they supported their goals and ideas, just not their use of violence, wouldn't you say that at some level they did support the KKK? I think you would.

Well, you have done all the above. You've been defending Antifa for years, jumping on users who have a go at them, or insult them, or miscategorize them (in your view) and then when challenged resort to pointing out that you don't support any group using violence (just sometimes find it funny when it's used on "Neo-Nazis") and so couldn't possibly support them.

Yeah, nobody's buying it. Nobody could take such great offence at a group being mislabeled and accused of things which are felt to be inaccurate unless at some level they supported that group. Indeed your posts say as much:

In short I think it's fair to say that you are an Antifa supporter who just wishes they didn't use violence.

Thanks. Not a single post supporting Antifa and plenty stating why I don't support them. I can see that took you ages and I'm really glad you put in the effort.

There is a very good chance I would support Antifa if they weren't violent But I can't support anyone who uses violence. Even if they turned their back on violence now, I'm not sure I'd support them.

If you have some more time on your hands can you find these posts where I insulted people? Please report them, but I'd like to apologise to anyone I insulted as well.

It's hilarious that you often speak of being a champion of the truth and don't appreciate the behaviour in others.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 10,423 ✭✭✭✭Outlaw Pete

Thanks. Not a single post supporting Antifa and plenty stating why I don't support them.

Well, actually - the following post is you effectively saying you support them:
    If Antifa went around randomly attacking people, no way I’d support them. But that’s not what they do.

As you are saying there's no way you'd support Antifa if they did x and then you point out that they don't do x.
    I can see that took you ages and I'm really glad you put in the effort.

No, 10 mins just to find where we had this discussion before.
    If you have some more time on your hands can you find these posts where I insulted people?

I never claimed you insulted anyone. I said you jumped on users who insulted Antifa and have many times. Strange thing to do for a group you don't support.
    It's hilarious that you often speak of being a champion of the truth and don't appreciate the behaviour in others.

There is nothing in my post which is not true.

As you are saying there's no way you'd support Antifa if they did x and then you point out that they don't do x.

I can see the confusion. I wasn't clear in that post. But I was pretty categorical in plenty of others. I abhor the use of violence. I can't support anyone who commits violent acts. Is that so hard to believe?

If I didn't jump in. This thread would be pages of tweets from right wing grifters and a chorus of people agreeing how terrible Antifa are. My only real point, which I make repeatedly, is that Antifa aren't enough of a threat to worry about. The FBI agree. I can't stand the lies and half truths, so yeah I jump in. You should appreciate that.

I never claimed you insulted anyone. I said you jumped on users who insulted Antifa and have many times. Strange thing to do for a group you don't support.

Apologies, I misread your post. You didn't accuse me of insulting people.

There is something in your post which is untrue. You said I support Antifa, when I don't.

they/them/theirs

I have absolutely no idea if the FBI have a stance on Brian's opinion on antifa.

The FBI has already stated that they've found no link with any BLM riots and antifa so Brian is basing his view on the views of US intelligence.

Thank you

• Registered Users Posts: 14,030 ✭✭✭✭briany

Antifa are the total opposite of fascists. Fascists go around wearing black, and using to the threat of violence to intimidate people into thinking and doing as they do, whereas Antifa, er...

More drink!

The FBI has already stated that they've found no link with any BLM riots and antifa so Brian is basing his view on the views of US intelligence.

Cool.

This has nothing to do with anything though. I oppose antifa. Black lives matter is something you just brought into this.

Cool.

This has nothing to do with anything though. I oppose antifa. Black lives matter is something you just brought into this.

The posts he was originally responding to were related to blm...

The same posters just keep on defending Antifa no matter how bad they come off, look we get it you are antifa but just accept you are on the wrong side of history and find another cause.
    Name the posters defending Antifa.
    Jaysis Brian, for someone who has no allegiance to a group with apparently no confirmed supporters, you spend an awful lot of time on a thread about them and don't like when people say mean things about them.
    The posts he was originally responding to were related to blm...

It just seems that you guys keep being wrong.....

How does that sequence of posts prove me wrong exactly?

they/them/theirs

• Advertisement

How does that sequence of posts prove me wrong exactly?

Keep up Brian.

It was a reply to protonmike who said our spat arose from you defending black lives matter. Which is why he threw in the jab about the fbi. I was showing that it was off topic and silly. I don't want to try to prove you wrong Brian. I've already been carded for offending you. I will let you prove me right from now on.

Keep up Brian.

It was a reply to protonmike who said our spat arose from you defending black lives matter. Which is why he threw in the jab about the fbi. I was showing that it was off topic and silly. I don't want to try to prove you wrong Brian. I've already been carded for offending you. I will let you prove me right from now on.

I’m lost. This is gibberish. I’ll move on now, it’s not worth it.

they/them/theirs

I’m lost. This is gibberish. I’ll move on now, it’s not worth it.

Probably for the best.

Keep up the good fight though. Protecting the sanctity of antifa while not supporting them.

I see now why there is a question mark after your name.

Mod

Ban for series of postd sniping / trolling.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,530 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

A Colorado man is accused of holding two roofing company salesmen at a gunpoint because he believed they were antifa. Scott Austin Gudmundsen, 65, faces two counts each of felony menacing, and false imprisonment, records show.

The incident in question happened Thursday, police said according to The Loveland Reporter-Herald. Officers responded to a report in which a caller claimed to see two members of antifa, cops said. So-called antifa (short for “anti-fascist”) protesters have been controversial during the Trump administration, sometimes being seen clashing with far-right groups like the Proud Boys.

A second person reported to officers that an armed man in tactical gear was holding two individuals at gunpoint on the ground, police said. That situation was resolved when cops took control, however, according to the account. The defendant was allegedly armed with two semiautomatic handguns.

It turned out that the two men being held at gunpoint told cops that they were door-to-door roofing salesmen doing work after a Monday night hailstorm. These workers were described as wearing surgical masks, and blue polo shirts and shorts, officers said. One of them was black. He was identified later as a 20-year-old football player for Colorado State University who works part-time for the company, according to 9 News.

The other alleged victim is 27 years old. Police said there’s no evidence they were engaging in wrongdoing.

The defendant is scheduled for a court appearance to take place Thursday. It’s unclear if he has an attorney in this matter.

“I have spoken to both teammates and they are understandably shaken,” Chris Tulp, CEO of Premier Roofing Company said in a statement obtained by 9News. “I want to respect their space. With that said, we intend to stand up for the members of our team who are hard-working, honest, charitable, good people. We are proud of them and deeply saddened that they were subjected to this horrific incident and will stick-with and support them in any way necessary to ensure justice is served.”

https://lawandcrime.com/crime/man-held-2-roofing-company-salesmen-at-gunpoint-because-he-thought-they-were-antifa-police/

I mean - it's getting harder and harder to understand who Antifa is and how these people are so afraid of them? The guys here weren't wearing the 'Antifa uniform' or anything? What's wrong with people.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,567 ✭✭✭Quantum Erasure

There were hundreds of thousands of peaceful protesters in the US and a minority of violent protesters. Painting them all as Antifa is just another attempt to undermine the peaceful protests.

How many times have I told you I don’t support Antifa now? I support the peaceful protests.

You've told me plenty of times. I just don't believe you.

that was the sequence of posts referred to

• Registered Users Posts: 3,237 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

WASHINGTON - Since demonstrations against racial inequality and police brutality erupted two weeks ago in the District of Columbia, more than 400 people have been arrested, most for curfew violations or looting, and city law enforcement officials said they have seen no evidence so far that organized groups came to carry out violence.

The most common charge was for violating a curfew that was in place for four days, and all but a handful of those cases have been dismissed. Many other cases involve minor assault or destruction of property.

President Donald Trump has blamed the far-left antifa movement for infiltrating demonstrations across the country, and Attorney General William Barr has blamed looting and rioting on "outside radicals and agitators" intent on pursuing an "extremist agenda."

But the cases in the nation's capital, at least so far, do not show any organized effort to disrupt the largely peaceful demonstrations, Karl Racine, the District's attorney general, said in an interview.

"Having received a number of the police complaints and reviewing files, we have not seen any indication that any individual who was arrested, or served with a citation, was a member of an extremist left-wing group like antifa," Racine said. "We have no evidence to support the statements of Attorney General Barr."
    Boards.ie internet sleuths obviously know more about this than the actual people in Washington investigating the disturbances icon14.png

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

At least UN is on Antifa's side

https://twitter.com/UNGeneva/status/1274007783864627201

Tweet erased now by the stunning and brave but here is a screenshot
    Ea8b-Lk-FWk-AALj-WW.jpg

biko wrote: »

You're putting as negative a slant as possible on that eh? They are pro freedom to protest not pro Antifa.

they/them/theirs

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Have you wondered about the flags?

Antifa was a militant organisation in Weimar Republic started by members of the Stalinist "Communist Party of Germany".
    The original logo of Antifaschistische Aktion from 1932 was actually entirely red like so:

tumblr_inline_oldqykHic51uw1hc9_250.png

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,909 ✭✭✭CtevenSrowder

You're putting as negative a slant as possible on that eh? They are pro freedom to protest not pro Antifa.

Hmm I wonder if the Proud Boys were going to be outlawed would they be posting the same thing.. I doubt it.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement