Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,086 ✭✭✭✭nullzero
    °°°°°

RWCNT wrote: »
    Oxford English Dictionary defines eco-fascism is “Radical environmentalism of a type perceived as excessive, intolerant, or authoritarian”.

One of their core demands is for a citizens assembly on climate change (https://extinctionrebellion.uk/the-truth/demands/), allowing citizens to take the lead rather than politicians - therefore losing the "authoritarian" piece of the puzzle from the definition of eco-fascism.

The current government dictates what people can and cannot do taking the health of the environment as priority over individual rights with pollution and littering laws. Are they also eco-fascist?

When they decided to protest by restricting peoples movement in London they took drastic action that at once promoted their views and turned people against them.
    It may not be accurate to say they are eco fascist in nature but they certainly aren't moderate.

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 40,466 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

nullzero wrote: »
    When they decided to protest by restricting peoples movement in London they took drastic action that at once promoted their views and turned people against them.
    It may not be accurate to say they are eco fascist in nature but they certainly aren't moderate.

you're right, it is in no way accurate to suggest that extinction rebellion are eco-fascists.

°°°°°

you're right, it is in no way accurate to suggest that extinction rebellion are eco-fascists.

Are they moderate?

Glazers Out!

• Registered Users Posts: 83,486 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

To me that's an insult

Then report it. I used the term just fine.

°°°°°

Overheal wrote: »
    Then report it. I used the term just fine.

You didn't.
    When you were asked to explain why you felt what the poster in question said made them a fascist you couldn't do so.
    That's not you using the term "just fine".

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

You didn't.
    When you were asked to explain why you felt what the poster in question said made them a fascist you couldn't do so.

Again, only in your unqualified opinion.

This isn't the Political Theory forum and I'm not obligated to get into an expansive semantic argument every time a word is used you don't like. The poster called for, and I quote:
    Just single out the ring leaders and shoot them. Problem solved.

Which is part and parcel of fascist ideology, violent if not lethal suppression of political dissent:

Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, as well as strong regimentation of society and of the economy which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.

I've tried to let you down easy here but you won't let this go, I don't need another stalker and I'm not sending you any nudes so get off my dick.

Mr. Karate wrote: »
    Well Wheeler is pretty feminine. My point is still valid. They are letting these riots happen and continue.

Insofar as Americans have the right to protest yes he's let them. But you'd have a very hard time spinning the narrative that he's done nothing. He's also the Police Chief, the same police that have been declaring the protests, at times, to be a riot, and teargassing tf out of them. It's not as though he's gone out of his way to cheer on acts of riot, quite the opposite, even on the night Wheeler showed up PBP was still out there with their riot control tactics dispersing the crowd that night with gas and all.

°°°°°

Again, only in your unqualified opinion.

This isn't the Political Theory forum and I'm not obligated to get into an expansive semantic argument every time a word is used you don't like. The poster called for, and I quote:

Which is part and parcel of fascist ideology, violent if not lethal suppression of political dissent:

Fascism (/ˈfæʃɪzəm/) is a form of far-right, authoritarian ultranationalism characterized by dictatorial power, forcible suppression of opposition, as well as strong regimentation of society and of the economy which came to prominence in early 20th-century Europe.

I've tried to let you down easy here but you won't let this go, I don't need another stalker and I'm not sending you any nudes so get off my dick.

What they said wasn't something that only a fascist would say.
    Saying what they said does not make them a fascist.

You're right I won't let this go because what you said was wrong.

You and posters who subscribe to your world view are happy to label people in ways that suit your outlook and pay no heed to the fact that what you are saying, in any other setting would be seen as libelous.

You have posted a definition of fascism above as if it gives you some sort of immunity from the fact that saying a stupid thing like "Just single out the ring leaders and shoot them. Problem solved." is not inherently indicative of a person being a fascist. It is indicative of a person who could do with rethinking how they would resolve a complex situation, but it does not make them a fascist.

The reason I'm chasing this is that these terms are used far too liberally these days. Real fascism is something beyond the realm of modern socio political discourse.

Everyone who disagrees with somebody's opinion is either a fascist or a communist, this goes on on both sides of these discussions and it needs to stop.

As for you trying to let me down easy and the comments about your genitalia and nude photographs really says a lot about your opinion of yourself, a touch of narcissism perhaps?

Glazers Out!

What they said wasn't something that only a fascist would say.

I accept your apology.

°°°°°

I accept your apology.

Pathetic.

Is this your level?

You never answered the question put to you about why the statement that was made was uniquely fascist, posting a definition of fascism isn't answering that question. My point was to ensure these type of terms aren't thrown around willy nilly.

Glazers Out!

• Advertisement

Pathetic.

Is this your level?

Is this yours:
    You have posted a definition of fascism above as if it gives you some sort of immunity from the fact that saying a stupid thing like "Just single out the ring leaders and shoot them. Problem solved." is not inherently indicative of a person being a fascist.

You asked me in at least 7 posts to define the term, several times explicitly, so I finally did. When I finally do you attack me for the act of doing so.
    So saying someone should be shot makes a person a fascist?

What if a communist were to say it?

It's not a sentiment that is peculiar to fascists would you not agree?
    Well you use it in an incorrect manner on this thread. We know this because when asked to define what made the person's statement uniquely fascist in nature you were unable to do so. You do crusade for left of centre values on this site regularly, and fascism is cited by you and other posters often, oftentimes in a completely incorrect manner.
    But by all means cling by your finger nails to the moral high ground.
    I never accused you of that, I said you use the word fascist a lot. You accused somebody of being a fascist and then displayed an absolute inability to explain why they should be classified in that manner.
    Well reading through your posts would suggest that you can't. These are things you've written, nobody is making it up and accusing you falsely.
    I asked you because I had an idea you couldn't define these things properly.

Now call me old fashioned but if you're going to accuse somebody of being a political extremist you should be able to define what makes somebody identifiable as such.
    My unqualified opinion?

You couldn't explain why you labelled another person a fascist. To me that's an insult, and a serious one at that, and you couldn't rationalise why you used it against that person.

My opinion has nothing to do with it, you made a fool of yourself by virtue of your inability to explain why you made that statement.
    You didn't.

That's pathetic.

pa·thet·ic
    /pəˈTHedik/
    Learn to pronounce
    adjective
    arousing pity, especially through vulnerability or sadness.
    "she looked so pathetic that I bent down to comfort her"

• Registered Users Posts: 55,519 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Mod: nullzero / Overheal - please stop replying to each other. It's getting boring.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

RWCNT wrote: »
    Oxford English Dictionary defines eco-fascism is “Radical environmentalism of a type perceived as excessive, intolerant, or authoritarian”.

One of their core demands is for a citizens assembly on climate change (https://extinctionrebellion.uk/the-truth/demands/), allowing citizens to take the lead rather than politicians - therefore losing the "authoritarian" piece of the puzzle from the definition of eco-fascism.

The current government dictates what people can and cannot do taking the health of the environment as priority over individual rights with pollution and littering laws. Are they also eco-fascist?

they meet only 2/3 of the conditions for now so therefore they're not ecofascists... :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭Mr. Karate

Insofar as Americans have the right to protest yes he's let them. But you'd have a very hard time spinning the narrative that he's done nothing. He's also the Police Chief, the same police that have been declaring the protests, at times, to be a riot, and teargassing tf out of them. It's not as though he's gone out of his way to cheer on acts of riot, quite the opposite, even on the night Wheeler showed up PBP was still out there with their riot control tactics dispersing the crowd that night with gas and all.

He's also letting rioting go on.

He's also letting rioting go on.

Again how is it letting it go on when he's the one chiefly responsible for the teargassing etc. that has gone on for 2 months?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,366 ✭✭✭1800_Ladladlad

• Registered Users Posts: 1,430 ✭✭✭RWCNT

they meet only 2/3 of the conditions for now so therefore they're not ecofascists... :rolleyes:

Authoritarianism is a pretty important component of fascism though. So sorry, but if you want your words to be accepted as anything other than hyperbole they're going to need to be accurate.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,515 ✭✭✭✭Geuze

I have not read this thread, so I apologise in advance, but I am not aware of any fascists in Ireland, so what are these people against?

Can anybody specifically name/list the fascists groups?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,013 ✭✭✭✭James Brown

The elected Mayor wants the city to burn the ground. How dare Trump want to stop that. You're a fool if you don't think the Democrats aren't using these riots for election purposes either.

I couldn't give a f*** what the Democrats are thinking or doing.
    Sending in armed unmarked goons is tyrannical. Trump is the one doing it and for selfish reasons. He's happy to let people die of Covid he sure as f*** doesnt care about bringing peace to Portland.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,453 ✭✭✭AllForIt

Geuze wrote: »
    I have not read this thread, so I apologise in advance, but I am not aware of any fascists in Ireland, so what are these people against?

No need to apologise. I only pop in here now and again myself and still get a bit confused as to what the hell is going on. I following this like a TV series I'm not particularly in love with but pop it now and again just because it's on and I've noting better for doing. Has it's moments to keep me interested.

Anyway, to answer your question, the fascist group is basically everyone who isn't Antifa. Took me a while to figure that bit out, but as I say I've been missing episodes, but I understand that much. Now I know that sounds ridiculous, and it is, but it's true at the same time. Check this out: https://amp.theguardian.com/uk-news/2020/jul/23/police-order-removal-of-white-silence-is-violence-banner-in-london?__twitter_impression=true

Now to get yourself up to speed you must learn of the the latest developments: basically Antifa are being hovered up by undercover special forces in unmarked vehicles and taken away. This is of course completely improper but nobody cares because it's Antifa. Ordinarily the media would go crazy over something like this but they're not, because it's Antifa. There's loads of video snippets of this going on, you must check them out. Very entertaining. Especially when they nab a mouthy one. And again noone is particularly bothered about this because we all know this will never ever happen to anyone else, except Antifa.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,048 ✭✭✭applehunter

BLM, Antifa, Rainbow activist, feminists, abortion activists etc. are all proxy warriors for the globalists.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,841 ✭✭✭TomTomTim

Bowie wrote: »
    I couldn't give a f*** what the Democrats are thinking or doing.
    Sending in armed unmarked goons is tyrannical. Trump is the one doing it and for selfish reasons. He's happy to let people die of Covid he sure as f*** doesnt care about bringing peace to Portland.

If you commit crimes you'll get arrested. None of this is happening off the books like you people are framing it. If those in power in said areas did their jobs, Trump wouldn't of had to step in. The failure is on them, not him.

“The man who lies to himself can be more easily offended than anyone else. You know it is sometimes very pleasant to take offense, isn't it? A man may know that nobody has insulted him, but that he has invented the insult for himself, has lied and exaggerated to make it picturesque, has caught at a word and made a mountain out of a molehill--he knows that himself, yet he will be the first to take offense, and will revel in his resentment till he feels great pleasure in it.”- ― Fyodor Dostoevsky, The Brothers Karamazov

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Geuze wrote: »

Good question. By any rational measure, there has never been a better time to be alive in human history. Staying on the current trajectory, baring any real global disaster, it will only get better. Facts on this are highlighted here:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35696171-enlightenment-now

However, some people arent very bright and struggle with issues of personal identity. They are highly susceptible to group think and seek the approval of their peers rather than any broader truth - the madness of crowds as Douglas Murray eloquently puts it

There is no explaining the rationale of these people. Its like a 12 year old putting on a superman cape and declaring ' I'm fighting against fascism and racism !'

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

BLM, Antifa, Rainbow activist, feminists, abortion activists etc. are all proxy warriors for the globalists.

Those damn globalists. Is there anything they aren’t behind?

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Biker79 wrote: »
    Good question. By any rational measure, there has never been a better time to be alive in human history. Staying on the current trajectory, baring any real global disaster, it will only get better. Facts on this are highlighted here:
    https://www.goodreads.com/book/show/35696171-enlightenment-now

However, some people arent very bright and struggle with issues of personal identify. They are highly susceptible to group think and seek the approval of their peers rather than any broader truth - the madness of crowds as Douglas Murray eloquently puts it

There is no explaining the rationale of these people. Its like a 12 year old putting on a superman cape and declaring ' I'm fighting against against fascism and racism !'

Why are so many criticisms of Antifa condescending and openly derogatory? Even your post starts intelligently and had me nodding along and finished with a childish insult.

they/them/theirs

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,748 ✭✭✭ExMachina1000

Brian? wrote: »
    Those damn globalists. Is there anything they aren’t behind?

Globalisation is slowing to a halt. That goose is well and truly cooked

• Closed Accounts Posts: 794 ✭✭✭Biker79

Brian? wrote: »
    Why are so many criticisms of Antifa condescending and openly derogatory? Even your post starts intelligently and had me nodding along and finished with a childish insult.

Insults are a traditional way of provoking people into pulling themselves together.

Are you a McCarthyist from the fifties or what?

• Advertisement

Biker79 wrote: »
    Insults are a traditional way of provoking people into pulling themselves together.

That’s a world view I’m unfamiliar with and completely disagree with.

It goes against anything I’ve ever read about parenting or leadership. My living depends on me getting people to “pull themselves together” when they’re not performing. There is zero chance I’d use insults to do it.

they/them/theirs

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement