Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Antifa [Mod Warning on post #1 - updated 08/08/19]

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Brian?

The belief that anyone that Antifa deem as fascist are fair game for violent attacks.

That is categorically not what I believe.

I have said many, many time in this thread I believe violence is wrong in all circumstances. I would appreciate an apology.

This isn’t faux outrage. I keep saying violence is wrong and people keep accusing me of supporting violence. It’s infuriating.

they/them/theirs

And so on, and so on …. - Slavoj Žižek

Brian? wrote: »
    That is categorically not what I believe.

I have said many, many time in this thread I believe violence is wrong in all circumstances. I would appreciate an apology.

This isn’t faux outrage. I keep saying violence is wrong and people keep accusing me of supporting violence. It’s infuriating.

I unreservedly apologise Brian. I did think I was responding to another poster. It was not my intention to accuse you.

Brian? wrote: »
    But in my example they wouldn’t be. Right? Can you acknowledge that.

In no circumstances are groups like the Proud Boys decent and moral. Even if they eliminated the violence they would still hold views that are worth protesting. Would you agree?

If Antifa eliminated the violence, their core message of anti fascism is inherently good. Would you agree?

I do agree that being anti-fascist is inherently good. I just don't think that Antifa are antifascist. I think they are anti-whoever-they-disagree-with and as such, mislabel vast groups of people.

I would be hesitant to call any group created as a joke by a comedian as moral and decent, but the current incarnation of Proud Boys don't strike me as a group which warrant protesting. I would be open to correction if (outside of a few idiots who claim to represent them acting violently) there was evidence that their ethos was egregious.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,939 ✭✭✭20Cent

We have a proud boy type group with Gemma O Doherty and her lot outside Google at the moment. They are being laughed at. That's the preferred strategy.

• Registered Users Posts: 166 ✭✭Anto Lynch

20Cent wrote: »
    We have a proud boy type group with Gemma O Doherty and her lot outside Google at the moment. They are being laughed at. That's the preferred strategy.

Are they juiced to the gills and wearing Fred Perry polos?

• Advertisement

In what way (apart from the fact that you don't like them) are they comparable?

In what way (apart from the fact that you don't like them) are they comparable?

Anti Women's rights, anti immigrant, anti gay/trans etc

• Registered Users Posts: 2,544 ✭✭✭Seanachai

This antifa sums it up.

D7FomXHW4AAQR3n.jpg

They were mighty men and women who fought genuine fascists, I have relatives that fought in WWII and also fought against Franco. Antifa reserve the right to label me as a fascist because of my views on immigration though, if I was in town during a rally, my appearance would probably be excuse enough for them to try and belt me. If an authoritarian regime take over I'll be sleeping in the hills with a hunting rifle fighting them, Irish people don't have the desire for fascism and no amount of meetings or rallies will gain any traction.

Sounds like the lads down in the galway mosque.

Seanachai wrote: »
    They were mighty men and women who fought genuine fascists, I have relatives that fought in WWII and also fought against Franco. Antifa reserve the right to label me as a fascist because of my views on immigration though, if I was in town during a rally, my appearance would probably be excuse enough for them to try and belt me. If an authoritarian regime take over I'll be sleeping in the hills with a hunting rifle fighting them, Irish people don't have the desire for fascism and no amount of meetings or rallies will gain any traction.

Well done fighting in WWII and against Franco. You must be very old now.

• Advertisement

Absolutely untrue from what I can see.

Anti illegal immigration, supporters (not enforcers) of traditional gender roles and nothing I can see that supports being anti-gay or trans.

In fact, there seems to be quite a large number of ethnic minorities in this supposed white supremist group.

You seem to have a trend of reading what you want instead of reading what is there.

• Registered Users Posts: 442 ✭✭SexBobomb

Seanachai wrote: »
    They were mighty men and women who fought genuine fascists, I have relatives that fought in WWII and also fought against Franco.

??

I'm not a big fan of the proud boys, but I can understand why they came about. I'd say if you actually sat down with some of them it'd be more accurate to say that they're anti fourth wave feminism, anti unchecked immigration and anti promoting ten year old kids in drag dancing in clubs. I'm sure they have friends and relatives who are immigrants or have immigrant parents, LGBT siblings and friends etc

If Antifa were behaving the same way here that they are in the US, there would be what you'd call regular fellas out on the streets too. If it was in my neck of the woods there'd be mammies and grannies belting them with brush handles.

Can a freedom lover explain to me why they are so anti immigration.

Freedom everyone do what they want.
    Except you, you can't live here, you were born there so you have to stay there.

It's idiotic.

It's idiotic.

Who wants no immigration at all? Ive rarely seen anyone call for a shutdown on ALL immigration.

It's idiotic.

Illegal immigration is what people are against. Not immigration. It's because there needs to be rules. Some beliefs and practices are not compatible to every country and their way of life.

Complete freedom is anarchy and no right minded person wants that.

It's idiotic.

It's that leading phrase again, 'anti-immigration', I and millions of others who are anti mass immigration are not automatically anti migrant. With all the best will in the world a nation can only accommodate so many people and at certain times less than others.

SexBobomb wrote: »
    ??

He said his relatives fought. It's blatantly obvious.

It's idiotic.

ILLEGAL immigration is what people have a problem with.

• Advertisement

Proud boy trying to rip up a lgbtq sign.

You don't believe that somebody can embody the honourable traits of their ancestors. That we're just solo acts?

Protip:

Stop watching this stupid nonsense.

They are grifters.
    :pac:

Was just making a joke about how proud people are of stuff others did.
    The proud boys say west is the best and that they created the best civilisation.
    Like they had anything to do with it.

Pretty futile attempt alright, the sign isn't specifically relating to LGBT though, it's referring to resistance to a 'fascist America'. In any case he could very well be homophobic, we have no way of knowing which part of the sign has maddened him. Him venting on the sign doesn't necessarily reflect the ethos of the movement.

The proud boys say west is the best and that they created the best civilisation.

I got that, see above

Oh I'm sorry. Jokes are usually funny. That's why I got confused.

Personally I think western civilisation is the best and I think they are aware that they personally didn't create it but are just championing it.

Do you think there is a better culture?

I think it's something to take pride in if you try and honour their memory, if you live like a blaggard and sit in the pub bragging about it then it is sad and pointless.

Doug Stanhope on nationalism
    Sums it up well.

• Advertisement

Doug Stanhope on nationalism
    Sums it up well.

I cant watch that as I am in work.

Would you care to summarise what was said?

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement