Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

social welfare

• 01-07-2019 9:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4

hi all.not sure if anyone knows but I am on jobseekers at the moment for a while. I have been looking for work ever since but no luck so far.i have to submit an up to date bank statement to social welfare which i gladly will do.the statement shows I deposited some money into several bookies and shows withdrawals where I won some money which outweighs deposits considerably due to luck really on winnings.in what light do social welfare look upon on this action.and is winnings classed as income with them.i just am not sure and didnt know if I was able to do this in the first place.i wouldn't have if I was disallowed to even gamble in the first place.thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mortal77

can anybody shed any light please?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭dartboardio

Hi,

No. Unless you have significant savings (not sure of the exact cut off point but its in the tens of thousands) they wont care.

As far as gambling goes, no. This will not make a difference to your claim

They need your bank statement for A. To verify there are no wages incoming and B. To make sure you dont have millions in the bank, then they would assess you slightly different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 901 ✭✭✭EL_Loco

is it your initial assessment? you say you've been receiving a while, were you pointed in the direction of Seetec by any chance?

I only ask because the only time I was re-assessed to this degree (bank statements etc) was after missing some Seetec appointments.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,420 ✭✭✭splinter65

Hi
    I recently helped a man applying for JSA and the deciding officer asked him to supply a written explanation for one outgoing payment of €350.
    It was him repaying a loan his father in law had made to him.
    So yes if there are amounts in 3 figures at least going in and out then you will be asked to explain and I recently helped another man who was refused JSA because his greyhounds were winning a bit of prize money.
    He was refused even he explained that he was a co owner of the greyhounds, he shared the prize money with the other owner, and they both ploughed the prize money back into the maintenance of the greyhound.
    Be prepared to answer questions. It’s wrong to suggest that they won’t notice or care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 539 ✭✭✭Hunter456

nothing stops you from getting social welfare from winning prize money, its tax free and cant effect your current claim. ;););) well done.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Hunter456 wrote: »
    , its tax free and cant effect your current claim.

Means test !

EL_Loco wrote: »
    is it your initial assessment? you say you've been receiving a while, were you pointed in the direction of Seetec by any chance?

I only ask because the only time I was re-assessed to this degree (bank statements etc) was after missing some Seetec appointments.

yep I am currently with seetec which I have no problem in doing atall.always play by the rules and have never conned anyone ever and just a bit worried as if I thought some gambling wins were frowned upon I would never have done it with my money in the first place.i have explained this in a letter included with my bank statement.

Hunter456 wrote: »
    nothing stops you from getting social welfare from winning prize money, its tax free and cant effect your current claim. ;););) well done.

thank you.i would never have deposited money into some bookmakers in the first place if I wasnt allowed to use some savings to.its not like I could predict if I won or lost and so I just was lucky over a few months to win a bit with some of them and so I withdrew it from them all.this shows up on my statement along with deposits I was making.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any update? did your gambling inhibit your SW claim?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,419 ✭✭✭antix80

This gave me a laugh

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭dougm1970

anyone have a contact number or email to get me through to social welfare.
    the 1890 number kept me hanging on for 90 minutes and no answer....rang my local office who gave me number of 017040000 but not getting through.

my son, 19, had an appendix out a month ago and was signed off work for a month...he applied for illness benefit via doctors...but hasnt heard anything back.

• Registered Users Posts: 133 ✭✭Benny122

Ok so I have a few queries.

I work and my partner has a job but I think he’s going to be let go.

We were planning on having a family, we are not married - would he be entitled to claim social welfare if he is laid off and we have a child
    My income is about 28k per annum

• Registered Users Posts: 8 Tooconfused

Would love to know your outcome on this if you could?

Advertisement