Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2019 General Thread

Options
  • 01-07-2019 10:29pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭

25tz18o.jpg

Just thought it would be nice to get a general thread up and running for the build up and general news for the tour.

Most of the teams have been confirmed and it is shaping up to be an interesting one with lots of question marks over the main contenders. Irish interest lies with Dan Martin and Nicolas Roche where I expect Dan to aim for a top 10 finish with the outside chance of either a murito or mountain stage win and I hope the lack of a true GC contender on the Sunweb team gives Roche the incentive to go stage hunting rather than hanging on for a top 20-25 gc position.

The route should favour some attacking riding in the opening week and I expect several different yellow jersey wearers within the the first 7 days with a mix of sprint stages, a ttt, a classic style stage and a mountain stage on an unpaved road to la planche des belles fille.

Hopefully there will be enough volunteers for Stage Specific threads and for those without access to live coverage during the day keep an eye out for the www.procyclingstats.com live feed which should provide minute by minute text updates and live data regarding virtual gc and time gaps.

Live coverage will be available on ITV4, Eurosport, TG4 and S4C. Eurosport will go with a similar format to the Giro with a studio based show.

AG2R La Mondiale
    Romain Bardet, Oliver Naesen, Tony Gallopin, Alexis Vuillermoz, Benoît Cosnefroy, Mickaël Cherel, Mathias Frank, Alexis Gougeard

Astana Pro Team
    Jakob Fuglsang, Gorka Izagirre, Magnus Cort, Pello Bilbao, Luis León Sánchez, Alexey Lutsenko, Hugo Houle, Omar Fraile

Bahrain Merida
    Vincenzo Nibali, Matej Mohoric, Rohan Dennis, Damiano Caruso, Sonny Colbrelli, Dylan Teuns, Iván García, Jan Tratnik

BORA-hansgrohe
    Peter Sagan, Daniel Oss, Maximilian Schachmann, Marcus Burghardt, Emanuel Buchmann, Patrick Konrad, Gregor Mühlberger, Lukas Pöstlberger

CCC Team
    Greg Van Avermaet, Alessandro De Marchi, Michael Schär, Joey Rosskopf, Patrick Bevin, Serge Pauwels, Simon Geschke, Łukasz Wiśniowski

Deceuninck-Quick-Step
    Enric Mas, Julian Alaphilippe, Elia Viviani, Yves Lampaert, Michael Mørkøv, Maximiliano Richeze, Kasper Asgreen, Dries Devenyns

Dimension Data
    Mark Cavendish, Roman Kreuziger, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Louis Meintjes, Bernhard Eisel, Julien Vermote, Ben King, Reinardt Janse van Reinsburg

EF Education First
    Rigoberto Uran, Tejay van Garderen, Lawson Craddock, Taylor Phinney, Alberto Bettiol, Michael Woods

Groupama-FDJ
    Thibaut Pinot, David Gaudu, Stefan Küng, Anthony Roux, Matthieu Ladagnous, Sébastien Reichenbach, Rudy Molard, William Bonnet

Jumbo-Visma
    Steven Kruijswijk, Dylan Groenewegen, George Bennett, Tony Martin, Laurens De Plus, Wout Van Aert, Amund Grøndahl Jansen, Mike Teunissen

Lotto-Soudal
    Tiesj Benoot, Tim Wellens, Thomas De Gendt, Caleb Ewan, Jens Keukeleire, Maxime Monfort, Roger Kluge. Jasper De Buyst

Mitchelton-Scott
    Adam Yates, Simon Yates, Jack Haig, Daryl Impey, Luke Durbridge, Michael Hepburn, Christopher Juul-Jensen, Matteo Trentin

Movistar Team
    Alejandro Valverde, Nairo Quintana, Mikel Landa, Marc Soler, Andrey Amador, Imanol Erviti, Carlos Verona, Nelson Oliveira

Team Katusha-Alpecin
    Ilnur Zakarin, Marco Haller, Jens Debusschere, Alex Dowsett, Nils Politt, José Gonçalves, Rick Zabel, Mads Würtz Schmidt

Team Ineos
    Geraint Thomas, Egan Bernal, Michal Kwiatkowski, Luke Rowe, Dylan van Baarle, Jonathan Castroviejo, Wout Poels, Gianni Moscon

Team Sunweb
    Michael Matthews, Wilco Kelderman, Lennard Kämna, Søren Kragh Andersen, Nicolas Roche, Nikias Arndt, Cees Bol, Chad Haga

Trek-Segafredo
    Richie Porte, Bauke Mollema, Jasper Stuyven, Fabio Felline, Koen de Kort, Toms Skujins, Giulio Ciccone, Julien Bernard

UAE-Team Emirates
    Daniel Martin, Fabio Aru, Alexander Kristoff, Sergio Henao, Rui Costa, Vegard Stake Laengen, Sven Erik Bystrøm, Jasper Philipsen

Arkéa Samsic
    Warren Barguil, André Greipel, Maxime Bouet, Anthony Delaplac, Elie Gesbert, Florian Vachon

Cofidis, Solution Crédits
    Jesús Herrada, Nicolas Edet, Julien Simon, Pierre-Luc Périchon, Christophe Laporte, Anthony Perez, Natnael Berhane, Stéphane Rossetto

Direct Energie
    Niki Terpstra, Lilian Calmejane, Romain Sicard, Rein Taaramäe, Anthony Turgis, Niccolò Bonifazio, Fabien Grellier, Paul Ourselin

Wanty-Gobert
    Guillaume Martin, Andrea Pasqualon, Xandro Meurisse, Aimé De Gendt, Odd Cristian Ekking, Frederik Backaert, Kevin Van Melsen, Yoann Offredo

Who will win 2019 Tour de France 113 votes

Egan Bernal
    76% 87 votes
    Geraint Thomas
    3% 4 votes
    Jakob Fuglsang
    3% 4 votes
    Adam Yates
    6% 7 votes
    Nairo Quintano
    0% 0 votes
    Richie Porte
    3% 4 votes
    Thibaut Pinot
    0% 1 vote
    Steven Kruijswijk
    0% 1 vote
    Romain Bardet
    0% 1 vote
    Rigoberto Uran
    0% 1 vote
    Mikel Landa
    0% 0 votes
    Vincenzo Nibali
    0% 1 vote
    Enric Mas
    0% 1 vote
    Wout Poels
    0% 0 votes
    Emanuel Buchman
    0% 0 votes
    Alejandro Valverde
    0% 0 votes
    Dan Martin
    0% 0 votes
    "Roland" Dennis
    0% 1 vote
    "Little" Louis Meintjes
    0% 0 votes
    Other
    0% 0 votes

Comments

Think the format on Eurosport worked for Giro so happy to see that back. I don't know why it bothered me but it did bother me that the commentators weren't in Italy though. :D

No velogames after the problems last year :(

Even with no Froome Ineos are still the team to beat I think, they even have £6000 chains that save 10w http://www.cyclingnews.com/news/team-ineos-to-use-muc-offs-6000-chain-at-tour-de-france/

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

I still have to buy my copy of the Official Guide :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

Got my jerseys backed with PP:

Bernal yellow, Alaphilippe polka, Ewan green.

Got Dan down for a podium.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Movistar going with 3 leaders again??!!

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 20,436 Mod ✭✭✭✭Weepsie

Will Porte make it past stage 9? Crashed on it 2 years running.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 709 ✭✭✭wowy

Cavendish left out of DD squad.

DD Squad is now Lars Bak, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Steve Cummings, Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, Ben King, Roman Kreuziger, Giacomo Nizzolo, Michael Valgren.

Steve Cummings surprises me a little with his inclusion.

DD Squad is now Lars Bak, Edvald Boasson Hagen, Steve Cummings, Reinardt Janse van Rensburg, Ben King, Roman Kreuziger, Giacomo Nizzolo, Michael Valgren.

Steve Cummings surprises me a little with his inclusion.

Hopefully they turn up for this GT... unlike the Giro!

Hopefully they turn up for this GT... unlike the Giro!

They don't have to given that they are one of the biggest sponsors of the tour. If they get knocked out of WT, I bet they'd still get a wildcard.

• Registered Users Posts: 953 ✭✭✭Tim76

wowy wrote: »
    Cavendish left out of DD squad.

What happened Cav?

• Advertisement

Tim76 wrote: »
    What happened Cav?

He's been struggling to get back to fitness having epstein barr virus for the last 2 years or so and a few crashes thrown in.

Not sure what he was doing training wise but he was struggling in the early stages of Slovenia and California. Getting dropped on climbs he should have had no real problems with staying with the bunch on.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Hoping Mas can get some form out of nowhere to win but looks like it'll be a Bernal clinic. Surprised he's so short betting wise given it is only his second GT and isn't even outright team lead.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭GetWithIt

Have a feeling there'll be some randomers getting jerseys this year

Podium - Thomas, Pinot, Martin (no particular order)
    Green - Van Aert
    Polka - Martin
    White - Bernal

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

I think the top three will be Bernal, Uran, Nibaili (not in order)

Sagan for Green
    Pinot for Polka
    Bernal for White

I'd love to see Pinot or Bardet do it. French are due a win but my head says it'll be Ineos.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

For me Bernal is the man to beat ...only handicap will be the team and having to ride for G

Fuglsang, Porte , Yates may all flatter to deceive

Good course for Dan Martin as not so much TTing but team TTT may pull him far down..Has a strong squad (Rui Costa, Aru & Henao) if they ride fro him but they tend to do their own thing ...will see if he is high on GC they may pull it together

Nicolas Roche is going better than he has in a long time ...would love to see him win a stage

• Registered Users Posts: 30,427 ✭✭✭✭odyssey06

Hopefully we'll get a tour diary from Nico, and some stage hunting.
    Though it would have made for interesting reading if Domoulin had been there.

"To follow knowledge like a sinking star..." (Tennyson's Ulysses)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,356 ✭✭✭Melodeon

Attached should be the official Regulations for 2019, for all you rules lawyers! :)

The (French language) roadbook is out there too, but it's 162MB so I can't post it here.
    However, there's an excellent shared Google Drive (from the Velorooms.com Cycling Forum) of historic and current roadbooks and other official race publications here:
    https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/0B6g1gOm2sMzAZVU4eDBIT0x3MXc

Click into the 2019 folder and the TdF 2019 French language roadbook is there.

Edited to add:
    Found it in English!:
    https://app.box.com/s/1rgv0ygfzwpv3a3pt448aj5wta1vlewt

Looking at the rule/regulations book...
    In terms of prize money, aiming for a good GC classification is kind of 'not worth the effort' unless you finish in the top 6 or 8. You'd be better off going in breakaways and trying to get some intermediate sprints bonuses (€1,500 for 1st).

• Registered Users Posts: 1,644 ✭✭✭D9Male

GetWithIt wrote: »
    Have a feeling there'll be some randomers getting jerseys this year

Podium - Thomas, Pinot, Martin (no particular order)
    Green - Van Aert
    Polka - Martin
    White - Bernal

Van Aert will be working for Groenewegen on the flat stages. It is very difficult to contend for green without consistently hitting top 5 in those stages. They're worth so much more than the tougher stages.

Martin won't be riding for polka dots but he may get it by accident. The bonus seconds (bonifications) at the top of a few climbs will mean he may sprint at KoM points.

Bernal for white is a very safe bet :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

I'd love to see Pinot or Bardet do it

Not a chance. By the start of week 3 those 2 will have fecked off to the French hide & seek championships

neris wrote: »
    Not a chance. By the start of week 3 those 2 will have fecked off to the French hide & seek championships

Bit harsh on Bardet surely, he's podiumed in 2 of the last 3 and finished top 10 3 other times and was 2nd in the worlds last year.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

neris wrote: »

Strange comment in terms of Bardet and Pinot has been in very good form lately.

In France at the moment - was thinking this morning that it must be hell racing in this heat for three weeks!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

I think it is quite difficult to make overall predictions for the major categories but simply looking at the first week. While i initially voted for Bernal, there are several question marks over lots of the favourites whether they can actually string a three week performance together.

Personally, I am expecting big things from Jumbo Visma with the possibility of 3-4 stage wins and holding yellow for most of the week. Groenewegen x 2 , the team time trial and van Aert for one of the other stages. I don't know if this will generally be a good thing for Kruiswijk's (or Bennett's) GC aspirations having the team needing to do a lot of the work in Week 1

One battle always worth keeping an eye is the "anonymous" rider who sneaks into the top 10 in gc, he will always be found hanging just off the group of favourites and never makes an attack or gets much attention from the commentators but purely by consistency ends up high in the GC. Cyclingnews refer to it as the "Haimar Zubeldia" award.

cunavalos wrote: »
    One battle always worth keeping an eye is the "anonymous" rider who sneaks into the top 10 in gc, he will always be found hanging just off the group of favourites and never makes an attack or gets much attention from the commentators but purely by consistency ends up high in the GC. Cyclingnews refer to it as the "Haimar Zubeldia" award.

A la Zubeldia the cycling podcast call it

https://twitter.com/cycling_podcast/status/672786887338233856?s=19

Louis Meintjes has been doing that with ages, the most negative cyclist I think I've ever come across. He's injured this time out though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

Angliru wrote: »
    Louis Meintjes has been doing that with ages, the most negative cyclist I think I've ever come across. He's injured this time out though.

But he loses out on the anonymous aspect of the title because Carlton would always give us an update on how "little louis meintjes" was yo-yoing out the back of the group of favourites

cunavalos wrote: »
    But he loses out on the anonymous aspect of the title because Carlton would always give us an update on how "little louis meintjes" was yo-yoing out the back of the group of favourites

Very true actually :pac:

It is mad to see how high Zubeldia has finished over the years. 5th (technically 4th) in 07 is a real surprise. I was fairly young watching that and besides the epic duels of Rasmussen-Contador and Mauricio Soler I remember very little from that Tour. 2012 and 2014 were very forgettable Tours altogether so it is less surprising he top 10'd there.

Very interesting going through the top 10s from a decade ago and tracking down where cyclists ended up. Awful shame about the likes of Bernhard Kohl who showed so much promise. And of course Ricco, who I think would have been a superstar. There were times he was holding his own with the likes of Valverde in the sprint and he was a great climber too. A lunatic on and off the bike.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Any board leage setup for the Fantasy game?

Advertisement