Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2019 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    Is there any chance that Thomas loses time in the TT?

I'm hopeful the mountains have some GC drama

Unless he has an off day there are very, very few there that would be ahead of him on that terrain against the clock.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,761 ✭✭✭✭Inquitus

Lusk_Doyle wrote: »
    Unless he has an off day there are very, very few there that would be ahead of him on that terrain against the clock.

Yep noone on the GC likely listing will get close.

It's been a great tour so far and like many I am no fan of Ineos, I wouldn't wish ill on them but it'd be something if there was a major mechanical losing them time and get the drama on and others back in the game. I can't see the mountains being the deciding factor the TT will crown Thomas baring disaster or if his form isn't there given recent early exits from races and training camps but from what we've seen so far he's looking good.

Also i hope Richie Porte can actually finish the tour this year regardless of placing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Seeing as there is no specofic thread for 2020 transfers...

Quintana to arkea is apparently done
    Carapaz to ineos
    Landa to bahrain
    Nibali to trek
    Mas/fuglsang to movistar
    Viviani to cofidis
    Sam Bennett to quickstep
    Dumoulin to jumbo
    Benoot to sunweb
    Gilbert to lotto
    Degenkolb to lotto

• Registered Users Posts: 2,535 ✭✭✭at1withmyself

Might be best to start new thread as its not Tour specific.
    retalivity wrote: »
    Seeing as there is no specofic thread for 2020 transfers...

Quintana to arkea is apparently done
    Carapaz to ineos
    Landa to bahrain
    Nibali to trek
    Mas/fuglsang to movistar
    Viviani to cofidis
    Sam Bennett to quickstep
    Dumoulin to jumbo
    Benoot to sunweb
    Gilbert to lotto
    Degenkolb to lotto

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Carapaz to Ineos is not surprising but so so disappointing.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Angliru wrote: »
    Carapaz to Ineos is not surprising but so so disappointing.

Why so disappointing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

Why so disappointing ?

Because they now have 4 genuine GC guys, 3 of whom have amassed 8 GC's between them.

Froome 6
    Thomas 1
    Caropaz 1

They also have bernal whose the next in line to froome and Thomas.

Their squad is proper stacked with talent. And they seem to have bottomless pockets

Because they now have 4 genuine GC guys, 3 of whom have amassed 8 GC's between them.

Froome 6
    Thomas 1
    Caropaz 1

They also have bernal whose the next in line to froome and Thomas.

Their squad is proper stacked with talent. And they seem to have bottomless pockets

That's hardly their fault though and you can't blame the riders for taking the opportunity to earn big in what can be a short lived sporting career

• Advertisement

That's hardly their fault though and you can't blame the riders for taking the opportunity to earn big in what can be a short lived sporting career

Certainly not, I was explaining why people who don't like sky/ineos are the ones disappointed about The carapaz transfer.

I do think carapaz & bernal are going to be the froome & Wiggins for ineos.

What about Eddie? He's on the market come end of season and his young team mates have the results so will he get to stay at Ineos? If not where does he go?

What about Eddie? He's on the market come end of season and his young team mates have the results so will he get to stay at Ineos? If not where does he go?

What type of rider is Eddie? Never seen him race, but judging by his build I'm imagine a climber. No chance he gets selected for the vuelta is there?

Certainly not, I was explaining why people who don't like sky/ineos are the ones disappointed about The carapaz transfer.

I do think carapaz & bernal are going to be the froome & Wiggins for ineos.

I get what you mean and what you were explaining.

It's always a tough one when a team has too many chiefs they all want more than what they can have. Eventually fallouts happen and they end up breaking out into rival teams again.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

What would be a good time loss for Dan in the ITT? 2 mins?

It is only 27k so you'd have to hope the climbers won't lose much.

Itziger wrote: »
    What would be a good time loss for Dan in the ITT? 2 mins?

It is only 27k so you'd have to hope the climbers won't lose much.

1-2 sec per km would prob be limit

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭CiarraiAbu2

Is it a case that Dan is waiting till after the time trial before making any move?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,016 ✭✭✭Itziger

1-2 sec per km would prob be limit

Really? I'd have thought that was very optimistic. between 27 and 54 secs! I'll go with 1.30 to 1.45 lost.

Itziger wrote: »
    Really? I'd have thought that was very optimistic. between 27 and 54 secs! I'll go with 1.30 to 1.45 lost.

That looks more likely on that terrain. It's only a little bit lumpy and not for him at all really.

i wont put on any money but we will know tomorrow. So Dan M not to loose more than 54 to Thomas/Bernal presuming they will be the GC winners from tomorrow?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,387 ✭✭✭cunavalos

The official letour twitter feed were having some fun with the official rider profile pics and a face ageing app. Some are easier to identify than others but it wouldn't surprise me if a certain rider in the third row was still capable of winning a world championship at that age.:D
    The app must be french as they were quite kind to their compatriots and i think they forgot to update the Steve Cummings photo
    w1r8g6.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Quintana doesnt look much different

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Dare I say it Uran looks better there than he does now

• Registered Users Posts: 3,010 ✭✭✭velo.2010

^^^
    Jesus, that's cruel... but probably fairly accurate!

JA does a good impression of Damon Hill. Pinot looks like he could play a grizzled middle aged detective in a film noir or something.

• Registered Users Posts: 681 ✭✭✭ILIKEFOOD

hmm missed a few stages so far.. any really exciting ones anyone would recommend me catch up with?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,928 ✭✭✭letape

i wont put on any money but we will know tomorrow. So Dan M not to loose more than 54 to Thomas/Bernal presuming they will be the GC winners from tomorrow?

Dan lost 2.26 over 31km to Thomas (3rd place on stage) in 2018 Tour TT and 1.46 over 22.5km on Chris Froome (3rd place on stage - Thomas has crashed out at that point) in 2017 so unfortunately I’d expect him to lose more than that.

MPFGLB wrote: »
    Quintana doesnt look much different

Yes he does! He looks like one of those near perfectly preserved mummies recently discovered with skin and hair still intact!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,254 ✭✭✭MPFGLB

Valverde looks terrible,like he was dug up after being buried without mummification

He will definitely have hair though when old(er)....they will have perfected plugs by then

So Rohan Dennis went missing. Did he stop off for a fresh break in someone's camper toilet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,313 ✭✭✭✭retalivity

Spolier as im in thw wrong thread...
    Looks like he has been arguing with management/ds for a while and today just said 'fcuk it'. His merida tt bike that he was supposed to use tmoro is apparently crap.
    He is also apparently prone to going off the handle at smallest slight

Advertisement