Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tour de France 2019 General Thread

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

any chance Bernal could be overtaken on the final day?? flat tyre, crash?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,983 ✭✭✭✭tuxy

Crash, yes but unlikely he will be very careful.
    Unwritten rule is you don't attack the yellow jersey because of mechanical/flat. Even if someone did attack the stage is so flat(take a look at the profile) he won't have trouble getting back on and that person would just end up looking like a scumbag with nothing to show for it.

Tomorrows stage is all about the sprinters and celebrating another tour rolling into Paris.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,067 ✭✭✭✭fryup

tuxy wrote: »
    Unwritten rule is you don't attack the yellow jersey because of mechanical/flat. Even if someone did attack the stage is so flat(take a look at the profile) he won't have trouble getting back on and that person would just end up looking like a scumbag with nothing to show for it.

really:confused:

honour amongst cyclists as such?

It's long been a procession stage , and a sprint finish.

I like that in the Giro they seem to alternate between a procession and a TT on the final day.

fryup wrote: »
    really:confused:

honour amongst cyclists as such?

Tradition and logic. If you look at the results from the other flat stages there is no time to be gained, these stages are won and lost by millimetres. There has to be more than one second between groups for time difference to GC if there are no real gaps everyone gets the same time for the stage.
    Then if you take into consideration that the profile for tomorrow is even easier than the previous flat stages.
    Everyone knows that the final GC stage is really stage 20.
    Riders get to ride into Paris tomorrow and celebrate another tour while the sprinters put on a show for the crowd.

• Advertisement

Checking the results of some other racing and I see Cavendish was a DNF in an Italian stage race yesterday. Likely out of the time limit on the queen stage can't see any reporting on it in English and from the other stages wasn't exactly competitive or finishing in a position you'd expect if he'd even helped someone else in a sprint.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,153 ✭✭✭jimbobaloobob

Checking the results of some other racing and I see Cavendish was a DNF in an Italian stage race yesterday. Likely out of the time limit on the queen stage can't see any reporting on it in English and from the other stages wasn't exactly competitive or finishing in a position you'd expect if he'd even helped someone else in a sprint.

Was that the same one Conor Dunne was in that had a 20 min hail storm that had the grupetto take cover in bushes and cars. They came back for some of the bikes later. Wouldn't blame him if he DNF there

Was that the same one Conor Dunne was in that had a 20 min hail storm that had the grupetto take cover in bushes and cars. They came back for some of the bikes later. Wouldn't blame him if he DNF there

Yikes :eek:

Same race, Dunne is still there as of stage 3 and cav was dnf yesterday stage 2 which given events at the tour yeah can't blame him if he was caught him bad conditions.

Yikes :eek:

Same race, Dunne is still there as of stage 3 and cav was dnf yesterday stage 2 which given events at the tour yeah can't blame him if he was caught him bad conditions.

Check up Conor Dunne's twitter account to see the video of it. Crazy hail stones

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Eamonnator wrote: »
    I'll bet you €20 that Dan finishes in the top 5.
    If I win you pay to my charity, if you win I'll pay to your charity.

I've just had two glasses of wine with dinner.

Edit:I've looked at the odds on Paddy Power. Dan is 50/1 to win
    Angliru wrote: »
    I originally said for him not to podium, but **** it, I'm in. 20 quid it is.

Guess I won this :P

Barnardos Ireland is the charity I pick.

If you name your charity I'll donate €20 to them too, no hard feelings. The Tour was unreal this year besides the ****ty last two days due to the weather. I'm feeling I owe someone something as Tours happen once a decade, almost literally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,397 ✭✭✭Shedite27

Tradition and logic. If you look at the results from the other flat stages there is no time to be gained, these stages are won and lost by millimetres. There has to be more than one second between groups for time difference to GC if there are no real gaps everyone gets the same time for the stage.
    Wait till Ineos are posing for the champagne on bikes photo, then attack. TTT to the end. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Guess I won this :P

Barnardos Ireland is the charity I pick.

If you name your charity I'll donate €20 to them too, no hard feelings. The Tour was unreal this year besides the ****ty last two days due to the weather. I'm feeling I owe someone something as Tours happen once a decade, almost literally.

Yes, looks like you did.
    I Have, just now, donated €30 to Barnardos Ireland.
    If you PM your email, I'll forward the receipt, that I got from them.
    My charity is Down Syndrome Ireland. Thank you kindly.
    It's seldom, that nobody loses, where betting is concerned.
    Pleasure dealing with you.

E.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 636 ✭✭✭Angliru

Eamonnator wrote: »
    Yes, looks like you did.
    I Have, just now, donated €30 to Barnardos Ireland.
    If you PM your email, I'll forward the receipt, that I got from them.
    My charity is Down Syndrome Ireland. Thank you kindly.
    It's seldom, that nobody loses, where betting is concerned.
    Pleasure dealing with you.

E.

Fair play. Yera that's grand, you can screenshot the email if you like.

30euro to Down Syndrome Ireland.

Pleasure dealing with you too.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,425 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Fair play lads :)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,561 ✭✭✭Eamonnator

Fair play. Yera that's grand, you can screenshot the email if you like.

30euro to Down Syndrome Ireland.

Pleasure dealing with you too.

Chance would be a fine thing. I don't know how to take screen shots, and if I did, I don't know how to attach them here.

Edit.
    I've just gone to school. I hope I've learned something.
    Nope didn't work.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭griffin100

Nice to see that AG2R have finally got their ass in gear and given Bardet a set of polka dot shorts to match his jersey rather than making him wear the manky brown team shorts.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,711 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Have the last stage a TT. It would hve made today fascinating

Dr. Bre wrote: »

That has happened many times before in GTs not sure it makes them more fascinating. I think today is a great way to honour the finishers and the ride in around the Louvre Museum was special, today's stage really show cases Paris.

Really good tour, great parcours, glad they werent afraid to mix it up a bit.

• Advertisement

Dr. Bre wrote: »

It wouldn't be that exciting, that would have made it so only Thomas or Kruijswijk could take the yellow jersey with Thomas being a big favourite.

I'd be in favour in cutting the boring run in and making it a crit race.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,994 ✭✭✭c.p.w.g.w

So what's next on the Eurosport coverage regards cycling? Assume the euros and the veulta. Are they covering anything else before that?

c.p.w.g.w wrote: »
    So what's next on the Eurosport coverage regards cycling? Assume the euros and the veulta. Are they covering anything else before that?

Stages 4 and 5 of tour de wallonie I think from tuesday. Annoying they didn't cover the whole thing. Though i think it's earlier this year, dylan tunes won it a few years ago. Then San Sabastian at the week end and the London classic and Binck Bank Tour and then Tour of Poland.

Not sure of the dates for the US races but the usually cover Utha.

EDIT: Did you sign up for the player and looking to know what you'll get from it?

Have to say we are invested in some sports here we'd otherwise not have cared about like the Judo GP but the MTB euros were on today too and were worth a look.

It wouldn't be that exciting, that would have made it so only Thomas or Kruijswijk could take the yellow jersey with Thomas being a big favourite.

TT's should be kept as far as possible from the end of the Tour imo.

Throw in a few cobbles stages at the end to liven things up a bit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,338 ✭✭✭Lusk_Doyle

There has to be more than one second between groups for time difference to GC if there are no real gaps everyone gets the same time for the stage.

I thought that they increased the gap to three seconds this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭DanDublin1982

I think the Champs Elysees is the most iconic ending to a major sporting event imaginable. It's special that it happens ever year and I could honestly have watched the whole 120km be run just around there. I hope they don't ever think of changing it.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 23,218 Mod ✭✭✭✭godtabh

If you were Thomas would you be pissed with the outcome? Last years winner but only having a dual leadership role this year?

Before last years tour he said he’d leave if he didn’t get a leadership role. Got it because Froome was crap.

Speaking of Froome I assume that is him done for the tour?

• Registered Users Posts: 20,054 ✭✭✭✭neris

Be interesting to see how they handle froome Thomas & Bernal for next year. Can't have 3 leaders

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,663 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

neris wrote: »
    Be interesting to see how they handle froome Thomas & Bernal for next year. Can't have 3 leaders

Lol Movistar tried this - Landa Quintana and Valverde and it’s a mess .

Advertisement