Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General RTE Discussion

• 05-01-2019 8:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 840 ✭✭✭

The respect for RTE in general is at an all time low. One family member noted that RTE 1 is now showing clips of old comedians interviewed by Gay Byrne years ago. A lot of conversations between people now tends to be about how bad RTE's TV output is.

You could sum up RTE's output as Mrs Brown, reality shows and repeats, and repeats of Mrs Brown and reality shows! And many have! But to be fair, they often are first or early to show good dramas from abroad and have made some of their own albeit perhaps with a 30 year gap between them!

The drivel like Ireland's Fittest Family, Dancing with the Stars, Operation Transformation, etc. I think is what angers most people. A lot of these shows are there to push RTE's employees and favourites at us and the chatshows seem to be just about these other shows too. The chatshows will be all about Dancing with the Stars and Operation Transformation you will see over the next few weeks!

There's not one good show on RTE over Christmas and there always is shows featuring the likes of Keith Barry or Alison Spittle and with names as uninventive as their content The [person's name] Show always! RTE seemingly can only make TV that is lightweight most of the time.

The strong hatred for all things RTE is confounded by their heavy handed demand for licence fees and their 'supported by your licence fee' and 'licence fee knock on the door' ads. They had these on over Christmas. No wonder people are more than annoyed with RTE and how it goes on.

Comments

• Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 40,176 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

Not sure what exactly is the point to the thread but one glaring omission is the fact that many of the staff are low on talent (and there possibly due to nepotism) but nonetheless able to demand massive salaries that would not be achievable with other radio or tv stations either here or abroad!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Basically they do not deliver value for the taxpayers monies that is being pumped into them.

Very little of their output is creative or original.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Compare RTE to TG4 to see what can be done on a lower budget.

Except the news. RTE do TG4's news.
    Just like ITN does the news for Channel 4 and Channel 5.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,534 ✭✭✭RocketRaccoon

I watch one show on RTE, first dates. Other than that I don't put RTE on the TV at any other time of the year.

From my memory, they have been involved in 2 other good shows over the years, Reeling in the years and Love/Hate.

For the money involved, that is a pathetic return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 909 ✭✭✭Get Real

Love//Hate was one of the best things RTE came up with in recent years. Went on to be sold to other tv networks and I'm fairly sure if Netflix was as big a thing back then it would have caught on.

The type of people, writers, and money spenders in that show need to be allowed grow.

• Advertisement

TLLS is definitely a disgruntled former employee I reckon..Is that you Martina?

Rte is fairly crap..just resign yourself to it and move on with your life..

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,737 ✭✭✭Yer Da sells Avon

The drivel like Ireland's Fittest Family, Dancing with the Stars, Operation Transformation, etc. I think is what angers most people.

Some of their most popular shows right there. Cheap enough to make too. I wouldn't waste energy getting angry about stuff like that.

RTE does lots of things badly and their current affairs output, which used to be really good, has gone downhill in recent years. They make some very good documentaries though. Even their regular stuff like Scannal and Nationwide can be brilliant. I've often found myself, as someone with no farming background whatsoever, really interested in sections of Ear to the Ground. During the abortion referendum, the best and most balanced documentary on the topic (in my opinion) was a Would You Believe special. The fact that their poorly-funded religious affairs department managed to produce a better abortion programme than either Prime Time or the awful Clare Byrne Live is something that they really need to think long and hard about.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 685 ✭✭✭keepalive213

Really a Total Embarrassment

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

I watch one show on RTE, first dates. Other than that I don't put RTE on the TV at any other time of the year.

From my memory, they have been involved in 2 other good shows over the years, Reeling in the years and Love/Hate.

For the money involved, that is a pathetic return.

Your post proves that what we consider crap is subjective

You like First Dates , I consider it a load of crap .
    There's not one good show on RTE over Christmas and there always is shows featuring the likes of Keith Barry or Alison Spittle and with names as uninventive as their content The [person's name] Show always! RTE seemingly can only make TV that is lightweight most of the time.

There wasn't a huge amount of good shows on the BBC either over Xmas .

You mean like the Graham Norton show or Michael McIntyre's Big Show or Mary Berry ( and then mentioning cookery in some form )

The fact that their poorly-funded religious affairs department managed to produce a better abortion programme than either Prime Time or the awful Clare Byrne Live is something that they really need to think long and hard about.

The same topic is unfortunately treated more like a political football on Prime Time. And yes, some serious review is required in this area.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,700 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I always think those excessively hard on RTE have not been out of the country for any period of length.

While there is a lot wrong with RTE it compares very favourably with like sized organisations around the world. Some of which is awful and unwatchable.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Problem with RTE is the same repeated rubbish,Presenters that get to air their own agenda ,dont get new people in,covering up real news and a biased approach and a forced yearly fee. We should have the choice to pay them and not be forced its pathetic.
    We pay for an ISP and choose from other TV packages out there yet still forced a licence fee.If RTE where to go subscription based they would be gone and its time we as a consumer should be given the choice and not forced.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,755 ✭✭✭sxt

RTÉ has recorded operating deficits in seven of the last nine years. Under both current director-general Dee Forbes and her predecessor Noel Curran, it has campaigned consistently for higher public funding and pushed for licence fee reform

RTÉ received €186 million from licence fee receipts in 2017, its annual report shows.

Rival response
    In a statement, Virgin Media said it believed RTÉ “should be held accountable for losing €30 million in the last three years”, despite combined public and commercial revenues of more than €1 billion in this period.

“Additional funding without any conditions is a reward for RTÉ’s inefficiencies to the detriment of the independent broadcasting sector.”

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

I always think those excessively hard on RTE have not been out of the country for any period of length.

While there is a lot wrong with RTE it compares very favourably with like sized organisations around the world. Some of which is awful and unwatchable.

A lot of it just comes from this new self loathing attitude of "it's Irish, I have to hate it because I'm modern".

Like, it's not wonderful but some people do be absolutely foaming at the mouth about it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,295 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

They repeat Dancing With The Stars twice, yes twice a week, all 2 hours of it...
    Wednesdays at 7pm on RTE2
    Saturdays at 2.15pm on RTE1

Why would they possibly need to repeat a live show twice at prime time, what an absolute waste. It's also going to be on the player so why the need for this? Complete waste of prime broadcast time.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 12,637 ✭✭✭✭bodhrandude

Having being living in Ireland proper since 1992 the one thing RTE was great at was covering traditional music, but now this is also disappearing from the schedule these days, TG4 taking the crown now for traditional music coverage.

Up until about 2009/10 RTE had the successful Come West Along the Road which I found fascinating and I always liked Nicholas O'Carolan's intelligent witticisms. But then they stopped broadcasting it and I know for a fact that there is still loads of stuff in the traditional archive that hasn't been covered like BBC Northern Ireland's Session of the Seventies, The Half Door (A UTV traditional music series from the 90s. Numerous Pure Drops with different presenters, Mairead ni Mhaonaigh's High Reel, Banish Misfortune, The Raw Bar and loads of Fleadh Cheoil footage from nearly ever year since the early sixties with different presenters. One of my musician mates mentioned that the new series is still ongoing but is now called Siar an Bother for TG4, but I've not seen any new 'old' stuff as yet.

Another problem with RTE is a lot of their programming is very family-centric, there is no programming really reflecting the younger festival going, gig going demographic apart from Other voices, Music from Da Telly, Electric Picnic feature which was stopped last year. Up until 2009/10 RTE stopped featuring left of the field music programmes such as Under Ether and No Disco, the crunch here was that the very last broadcast of No Disco culminated in the reformation of the much loved Planxty, so why the hell did the station stop this programme when it had the power to do this?

RTE 2 needs to get their younger audience back as an alternative to the reality drivel featured on RTE 1.

If you want to get into it, you got to get out of it. (Hawkwind 1982)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,483 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Then there's this kind of crap that appears on their website almost daily, meaning it will get a free promo on the Late Late / Ray D;Arcy or any number of radio programmes. It's a promo written by a blogger which is just a free advertisement for the company concerned.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2019/0103/1020119-have-you-heard-of-the-f45-8-week-challenge/

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 42 Dillosk412

It's nowhere near as bad as virgin. Three channels and I've yet to see something worth watching and even if you do watch something there's a phenomenal number of adverts - probably as many as the satellite channels.

With rte unable to increase revenue due to both no increase in license fees and restricted advertising time, you can hardly expect same quality as 15 years ago.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,677 ✭✭✭DeepBlue

KevRossi wrote: »
    It's a promo written by a blogger which is just a free advertisement for the company concerned.

https://www.rte.ie/lifestyle/living/2019/0103/1020119-have-you-heard-of-the-f45-8-week-challenge/
    Off topic I know but 50 quid a week for 8 weeks to lose 5kg that will probably go straight back on when she's back on the pizza and alcohol? LOL

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Rte News covered a piece from Galway yesterday where a bunch of people were taking water from some 'holy' well.

RTE still trying to outdo Father Ted in the comedy stakes

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

It’s a national disgrace and there should be protests against the ridiculously high license fee, on a par with the water charges outcry.

It’s a national disgrace and there should be protests against the ridiculously high license fee, on a par with the water charges outcry.

Your namesakes programme on the radio is nearly worth the fee alone.

What price would you put on the share of the cost of infrastructure, infrastructure maintenance and running of a multi tasked and multi functional national broadcaster per head of capita btw

• Registered Users Posts: 853 ✭✭✭Seanieke

Just don't watch it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,329 ✭✭✭jetsonx

lawred2 wrote: »
    Rte News covered a piece from Galway yesterday where a bunch of people were taking water from some 'holy' well.

RTE still trying to outdo Father Ted in the comedy stakes

I saw this and yes Father Ted came to mind instantly as well!

BTW, it did'nt even seem to be a nice well (like a rustic stream) it was people taking water out of
    rusty old water tanks.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

Your namesakes programme on the radio is nearly worth the fee alone.

What price would you put on the share of the cost of infrastructure, infrastructure maintenance and running of a multi tasked and multi functional national broadcaster per head of capita btw

In or around €30 a year. Until they clear ridiculous salaries from their books such as tubridy, finucane, Darcy and Duffy, you’ll never ever come anywhere close to justifying the extortion we are currently subject to.

In or around €30 a year. Until they clear ridiculous salaries from their books such as tubridy, finucane, Darcy and Duffy, you’ll never ever come anywhere close to justifying the extortion we are currently subject to.

Even if they did cut the high end salaries, 30euro a year would not come close.

I suspect you are like a certain demographic who think this should be free. As 30e is negligible.

I don't use a quarter of the services RTE has to provide, but I understand that to get the ones I do use, that it requires I pay for the total service.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

Dillosk412 wrote: »
    It's nowhere near as bad as virgin

I’m don’t face a prison sentence for not ponying up for Virgin merely for the privilege of owning a TV though, do I? That’s why it’s infuriating - I have the option not to watch it, but I still have to pay for it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

jetsonx wrote: »
    I saw this and yes Father Ted came to mind instantly as well!

BTW, it did'nt even seem to be a nice well (like a rustic stream) it was people taking water out of
    rusty old water tanks.

Yeah couple of old attic water tanks..

Nermal wrote: »
    I’m don’t face a prison sentence for not ponying up for Virgin merely for the privilege of owning a TV though, do I? That’s why it’s infuriating - I have the option not to watch it, but I still have to pay for it.

Simplistic post.
    You are not just paying for 'watching a programmer's.

Google it. It is beyond silly at this stage that people still think that is all they are paying for.

There are loads of state services I don't use which I accept I have to pay for, if I wish to be a citizen. A fact of life.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

Nermal wrote:
    You have to pay for the running of the prison though!

Advertisement