Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

General RTE Discussion

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 975 ✭✭✭decky1

R--Repeat
    T--That
    E-- Everyday
    cos that's all their good at

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,341 ✭✭✭SPDUB

In or around €30 a year.

Interesting figure to pick on since it is reckoned that if everyone paid the licence fee that is approx the amount they could drop the fee from the current level and RTE would still get the same amount of money as it does with the current amount of evasion .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 883 ✭✭✭Keplar240B

RTE hates the Irish people.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,168 ✭✭✭✭briany

Was there ever a time when RTE was really good? A time when it was a bastion of creativity? A time when presenters weren't regarded as high on pay, but low on talent? The answer to all of these things is: no. There are a group of programs that RTE have made in the past that people remember fondly and use as a sort of anecdotal evidence for how RTE used to be better, but the truth is that those shows were an aberration - the exception to the rule.

But that's not to single out RTE. They say 80 percent of everything is crap, and if you ever wanted a good night of telly, you were always going to have to channel surf.

Deleting duplicate post

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 428 ✭✭JohnCreedon81

Even if they did cut the high end salaries, 30euro a year would not come close.

I suspect you are like a certain demographic who think this should be free. As 30e is negligible.

I don't use a quarter of the services RTE has to provide, but I understand that to get the ones I do use, that it requires I pay for the total service.

Considering you’d gladly pay €160 a year for a bang average radio show, your opinion isn’t really of interest to me. You’ve clearly got much more disposable income to waste.

As somebody else pointed out, €30 would be fine if everyone paid it. Make it part of the normal tax system, €3 a month, everyone pays it, chop off the lotto winning parasites like tubridy, problem solved.

RTE have some terrible stuff and presenters, but their 100 times better than virgin media Ireland who just have the worse of ITV and even worse presenters over three channels.

• Registered Users Posts: 204 ✭✭griffinlee

RTE do news and publicity affairs, primetime rte investigates, GAA, Sport etc very well. Whilst I do enjoy some other aspects, the live line, Sean o Rourke, marian etc. The license fee does not reflect well compared to other countries such as Belgium/Portugal/Czech/finland and similar sized countries.

Rte have been caught in a reality TV spin, where everything is reality TV, get a GAA player in to do something or grab someone that was on TV once and put them in a dancing show. The repeats should only be allowed on during the nightshifts, this is the most shameful part of rte at the moment, repeating things constantly..

All you have to look up is

RTBF and VRT is Belgium
    YLE in Finalnd
    RTP in Portugal

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 17,152 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

The respect for RTE in general is at an all time low. One family member noted that RTE 1 is now showing clips of old comedians interviewed by Gay Byrne years ago. A lot of conversations between people now tends to be about how bad RTE's TV output is.

I haven't watched RTE or any Irish channels in years. Even when they used to show movies like Beverly Hills Cop they changed "get the F out of here" to "get the heck out of here". This was after the 9pm watershed.

Unfortunately I still have to pay for the TV licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,700 ✭✭✭Nermal

eagle eye wrote: »
    You have to pay for the running of the prison though!

I get the benefit of prison just by living in this country. There's no way to opt out of protection from criminals.

It's technologically very simple for RTE television to go subscription only. Non-TV services can find other revenue streams - advertisements for radio, performance fees for orchestras.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,022 ✭✭✭bfa1509

But if we didn't pay Ryan Tubridy and Ray Darcy €500K each then the BBC would snap up all the talent in no time... ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,441 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I haven't watched RTE or any Irish channels in years. Even when they used to show movies like Beverly Hills Cop they changed "get the F out of here" to "get the heck out of here". This was after the 9pm watershed.

?

I'm in my late thirties and do not remember anything like that ever

lawred2 wrote:
    I'm in my late thirties and do not remember anything like that ever

Ah yeah. Maybe you didn't notice that the swear words were toned down but they were. You would notice it the most on movies like Beverly Hills Cop because there was so much swearing in it. Ive had Sky since 1990 or so & myself and my wife would notice a huge difference between the same movie on RTE and Sky. They'd butcher movies, sometimes cutting scenes altogether. Well I doubt RTE themselves did the editing. They would have bought in a version suitable for the whole family even though it was shown after 9pm. I totally gave up on Irish TV by the mid 90s

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,960 ✭✭✭Dr Turk Turkelton

DubInMeath wrote: »
    RTE have some terrible stuff and presenters, but their 100 times better than virgin media Ireland who just have the worse of ITV and even worse presenters over three channels.

No comparison,Virgin Media Ireland don't charge me €160 a year to not watch their channels.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

Dillosk412 wrote: »
    It's nowhere near as bad as virgin. Three channels and I've yet to see something worth watching and even if you do watch something there's a phenomenal number of adverts - probably as many as the satellite channels.

With rte unable to increase revenue due to both no increase in license fees and restricted advertising time, you can hardly expect same quality as 15 years ago.

I'll agree that the majority of their programming is dross. But they still manage to produce about six hours daily live programming on a much smaller budget.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 69,700 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Considering you’d gladly pay €160 a year for a bang average radio show, your opinion isn’t really of interest to me. You’ve clearly got much more disposable income to waste.

As somebody else pointed out, €30 would be fine if everyone paid it. Make it part of the normal tax system, €3 a month, everyone pays it, chop off the lotto winning parasites like tubridy, problem solved.

Everyone can't pay for it. (I also, as a responsible citizen, pay for and believe in a welfare system) so 30 euros wouldn't come near providing the services the licence pays for.
    Maybe inform yourself a bit more or have a think about the society you want to live in.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,367 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Are you sure you weren't watching UTV ?

'cos they used to do that big time

Everyone can't pay for it. (I also, as a responsible citizen, pay for and believe in a welfare system) so 30 euros wouldn't come near providing the services the licence pays for.
    Maybe inform yourself a bit more or have a think about the society you want to live in.

A society where impoverished people get €160 more in their wallet each year, without the life essential service of reruns and Ryan tubridy talking to his mates? Yeah, sign me up for that society.

You’ve your head in the sand, or are on the pigs back to be defending these cowboys.

A society where impoverished people get €160 more in their wallet each year, without the life essential service of reruns and Ryan tubridy talking to his mates? Yeah, sign me up for that society.

You’ve your head in the sand, or are on the pigs back to be defending these cowboys.

As I say, maybe inform yourself as to what your licence fee pays for, and get back to us.

As I say, maybe inform yourself as to waht your licence fee pays for, and get back to us.

Maybe you should take a closer look yourself there and see what part of that is as important as the basic essentials to survive, and get back to us there :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Maybe you should take a closer look yourself there and see what part of that is as important as the basic essentials to survive, and get back to us there :rolleyes:

What?

You clearly have no idea what the fee pays for and why you have to pay it even if you don't watch or listen to a couple of shows in the schedule.
    Fairly typical rant tbh, which is only listened to by a certain rabble who don't think they have to pay for anything they don't like but would be rabbling like mad if some service they wanted to use wasn't up to their expectations. Fairly tiresome stuff tbh.

No comparison,Virginr Media Ireland don't charge me €160 a year to not watch their channels.

Plenty of comparison based on the OP and other posts. Also if your a virgin media tv customer their charging you 35+ a month for the same crap as well as a load of other channels that just repeat stuff, look at the schedule for E4 as an example.

Even if RTE are gotten rid of do you think that your not going to have to fork over a t.v.licence fee? It'll go to a general tax as was mentioned by PR a few years back eventually, same as it went from a radio licence fee to a tv licence fee once they became more common.

What?

You clearly have no idea what the fee pays for and why you have to pay it even if you don't watch or listen to a couple of shows in the schedule.
    Fairly typical rant tbh, which is only listened to by a certain rabble who don't think they have to pay for anything they don't like but would be rabbling like mad if some service they wanted to use wasn't up to their expectations. Fairly tiresome stuff tbh.

You struggling with English? Comprehension? Tell me 1 thing it provides which is of critical importance to our daily lives there captain know it all king of the pigs back rabble :rolleyes:

It’s ok Ryan, your half a mill a year is safe thanks to FrancieBrady :pac:

Are you sure you weren't watching UTV ?

Definitely RTE but I am talking 25 years ago. I've no idea if they still do it or when they might have stopped.

You struggling with English? Comprehension? Tell me 1 thing it provides which is of critical importance to our daily lives there captain know it all king of the pigs back rabble :rolleyes:

It’s ok Ryan, your half a mill a year is safe thanks to FrancieBrady :pac:

Ah right, you only want to pay for things that are of critical importance to life. Not only do you want a freebie, you also want to decide what society gets to enjoy and furnish itself with. Very good. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 38,904 ✭✭✭✭eagle eye

I don't watch RTE at all anymore barring the odd little segment when somebody texts me.
    Imo it's awful stuff and the wages some crap presenters are getting is just outrageous.
    I don't listen to RTE radio either. 2FM is rubbish and you have those clowns like Tubridy and Duffy on Radio one.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭zoobizoo

Untrue.

RTE was the only channel not to show redubbed films or to bleep out bad language at a time when UTV and BBC did exactly that.

I stopped watching films on UTV in the early 90s as a result, well that and the ads, but I continued to watch them on RTE.

Ah right, you only want to pay for things that are of critical importance to life. Not only do you want a freebie, you also want to decide what society gets to enjoy and furnish itself with. Very good. :rolleyes:

Guess that’s a no, you can’t provide that single example then? Oh well, back to “debating” another Thread with your “wisdom” there Francis :pac:

Damn right I want the TV license to be held accountable and cut back from its current p!sstaking levels or waste and greed. You keep applauding their money furnace though like a good Brady :rolleyes:

Definitely RTE but I am talking 25 years ago. I've no idea if they still do it or when they might have stopped.

Don't remember that and I'm in my 40s. Do notice that on the channels provided by Sky etc that this happens a lot however.
    Given that in the US there are whole groups who campaign to have what they see as foul language removed and the FCC have to levy fines against a broadcaster/station if they receive enough complaints there are for tv edits of films and shows which are often used.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭jimmynokia

Seanieke wrote: »
    Just don't watch it.

Easy to say when you still have to pay for it. It is akin to walking into a shop and been told what you have to buy when you can walk out and go to another for free without a charge or being told what to do.

Advertisement