Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build, partial upgrade help.

Options
  • 02-07-2019 1:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭

My old PC is well past it's prime and I'm thinking of upgrading. I need a motherboard at least 8 Sata connections and want it as quiet as possible. Also as little as possible lights, I fing them distracting.

1. What is your budget? [€800]

2. What will be the main purpose of the computer? [Gaming (strategy type games mostly as I do most of my gaming on xbox)/Internet/data storage]

3. Do you need a copy of Windows? [No]

4. Can you use any parts from an old computer? If parts such as ram are not compatible then it isn't an issue.
    SSD: Samsung 860 EVO 250 GB 2.5 inch Solid State Drive - Black
    HDD(6).
    DVDR drive(1).
    Case: Full Tower Aerocool X-Predator Avenger Edition Full Tower Gaming Case
    Graphics Card: ASUS Radeon R9270X-DC2T-2GD5 - 2GB - PCI-E
    PSU: Corsair CP-9020061-UK Builder Series CXM750 ATX/EPS Semi-Modular 80 PLUS Bronze Power Supply Unit, 750 W - Black
    Ram: Ballistix Sport BLS2KIT8G3D1609DS1S00 16 GB Kit (8 GB x 2) (DDR3, 1600 MT/s, PC3-12800, DIMM, 240-Pin) Memory
    5. Do you need a monitor? [No]

5b. If no, what resolution is your current monitor and do you plan to upgrade in the near future? [4k] [No]

6. Do you need any peripherals? [no]

7. Are you willing to try overclocking? [No]

8. How can you pay? [Bank Transfer/Credit Card/Laser]

9. When are you purchasing? [Not in a major hurry with it]

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

What was the previous CPU?

• Registered Users Posts: 309 ✭✭Dunnie1982

jebidiah wrote: »
    What was the previous CPU?

Intel i5 2400, lga 1155 it's fairly old now and definitely looking to upgrade from this. My motherboard is also very old and will need replacing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,450 ✭✭✭jebidiah

I might be wrong, but if it's not specifically for gaming, then you might be as well to upgrade the CPU to a 3770k and upgrade the GPU. Allowing you to keep the guts of the system.

Some of the more knowledgeable posters might be better informed as to the value of that upgrade over a complete rebuild.

If you're after a new system the next gen of ryzen is out in the coming weeks. It would be better to wait as you said you're not in a hurry. Ryzwn offers great value so far compared to Intel, but Intel prices might come down in response to the new chips.

jebidiah wrote: »
    I might be wrong, but if it's not specifically for gaming, then you might be as well to upgrade the CPU to a 3770k and upgrade the GPU. Allowing you to keep the guts of the system.

Some of the more knowledgeable posters might be better informed as to the value of that upgrade over a complete rebuild.

If you're after a new system the next gen of ryzen is out in the coming weeks. It would be better to wait as you said you're not in a hurry. Ryzwn offers great value so far compared to Intel, but Intel prices might come down in response to the new chips.

I'd prefer to upgrade to a new motherboard and cpu, current board isn't suitable for my needs not enough SATA ports, all USB 2.0 so I would like to upgrade everything at once. I have an old case and lots of parts which I'm going to repurpose into a PC for a friend using the current motherboard and cpu.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,887 ✭✭✭Joeface

sorry my whole reply is useless as you hit post before me

If the motherboard supposts the 3770 or 3770K it is worth while upgrade .
    It would maintain the value in your current system in the short term and also allow to evalute if you need an upgrade.

Last year I went from the i5 3570 to a 3770 and even that has preformed well for the last year, this has allowed me to put off upgrading until later this year with a much better budget . your use case might not be the same as mine but it is worth looking into even if to sell off your own older parts .

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,706 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

2 options for you OP

Option 1: Using integrated graphics:
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/rt6mYT

Option 2: with a new, quite future-proof GPU:
    https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/Wqssq4

Please note that Ryzen 3000 releases in 5 days (2019-07-07) - I'd buy those instead.

The Corsair MP510 isn't wholly necessary, but it's a great PCIe SSD - I'd definitely suggest considering it for your OS drive.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Good discounts on Ryzen 2600/2600X now, will make them the best value for budget systems by far. The RTX isn't worth it right now as an RTX2060 Super is going on sale very shortly for the same price that is a better card, with more memory too.

You said you have a 4K monitor so really, the best card you can afford will always be worthwhile. An RTX2060 Super should be pretty OK for 1440P ultra, or 4K medium or so in most modern games.

Strategy games tend to be a bit more forgiving so it should be grand.

Good discounts on Ryzen 2600/2600X now, will make them the best value for budget systems by far. The RTX isn't worth it right now as an RTX2060 Super is going on sale very shortly for the same price that is a better card, with more memory too.

You said you have a 4K monitor so really, the best card you can afford will always be worthwhile. An RTX2060 Super should be pretty OK for 1440P ultra, or 4K medium or so in most modern games.

Strategy games tend to be a bit more forgiving so it should be grand.

I have an Asus r9 270x which I might use until the RTX2060 Super goes on sale so.

Most parts seem to be cheaper from Amazon Germany than UK so buying most from there.

The 2600 is very cheap at the moment, but i'll wait a few hours and see does it drop more when the new Ryzens are released later today. The poster above recommended the be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler, but from what I'm reading it can be awkward on AM4 boards. So I was thinking maybe this Arctic Freezer 33 https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06WV898Y1/ref=emc_b_5_t might be better.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Don't discount the stock cooler either unless you specifically want a 3rd party cooler. Some people automatically lump a 3rd party cooler into every build, but it's not necessary for everyone.

I use the stock cooler with my 2600X. In a budget build I'd rather put that 30 extra into a better GPU, CPU, RAM or whatever - I know it's a personal thing, just depends on priorities, but either the Intel or AMD stock cooler are really perfectly fine in most 'normal' builds.

• Advertisement

It's more about noise than anything. My current pc has a stock cooler and it's annoyingly loud. I got an Akasa fan off a friend and it was even louder then the stock one using arctic silver paste.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,027 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Dunnie1982 wrote: »
    I have an Asus r9 270x which I might use until the RTX2060 Super goes on sale so.

Most parts seem to be cheaper from Amazon Germany than UK so buying most from there.

The 2600 is very cheap at the moment, but i'll wait a few hours and see does it drop more when the new Ryzens are released later today. The poster above recommended the be quiet! - Pure Rock Slim 35.14 CFM CPU Cooler, but from what I'm reading it can be awkward on AM4 boards. So I was thinking maybe this Arctic Freezer 33 https://www.amazon.de/dp/B06WV898Y1/ref=emc_b_5_t might be better.

You'll have shipping charges from Amazon.de so if it's only slightly cheaper than the UK it might be better to stick to the UK site (faster delivery usually as well).

TitianGerm wrote: »
    You'll have shipping charges from Amazon.de so if it's only slightly cheaper than the UK it might be better to stick to the UK site (faster delivery usually as well).

Shipping is only 14.57 from Germany and I'll have it by Friday. I did up a spreadsheet this morning using conversion rates etc and Germany works out cheaper for most things except the case and SATA cables.

Advertisement