Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Dyslexia

• 02-07-2019 9:16am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Hi everyone, my 9 year old son( just turned) has just finished 2nd class. We had a lot of issues with school refusal etc and always put this down to his anxiety. He has attended play therapy for this. He attended a camp yesterday which was run by a psychologist. She asked to me to me afterwards and said based on the writing, spelling, drawing she would have him assessed for dyslexia. A few things have been mentioned before but this was the first time I heard dyslexia mentioned. He got a sten of 7 in his English drumcondras in both first and second class. Does anyone know if they take spellings into account in the Drumcndras? In first class his teacher did the schonell reading test and he scored exactly at his age. However he does like to read in class, his spellings are not great, although if he learns them he does ok. It's just in general if he is writing something, his spellings would not be great. He hates doing homework (to an extreme) but does not like doing anything that involves effort. He hates school work and we had huge problems getting him to go to school. His teacher has told me he is fine academically. Any advice/,thoughts appreciated. Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 104 ✭✭GalwayLurker

Drumcondras are a reading, comprehension and vocabulary assessment first and foremost. There is a separate spelling section which can be completed but it's not compulsory and doesn't affect the overall sten of the reading test. A child with dyslexia can score quite highly on these tests in my experience. Also worth bearing in mind that dyslexia isn't restricted to just reading and spelling difficulties, it can include poor organisation and time management and following complex directions sometimes.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 12,506 Mod ✭✭✭✭byhookorbycrook

It would be unusual for a child with dyslexia to score a 7 in reading but it can happen. Do you know if his school did the VRT or NRIT tests with his class? Could it be dyspraxia- this would impact hugely on his writing speed, the need to sit still/sit up, transcribing from the board, organisational skills, concentration etc. Have his hearing and vision been checked (Sorry for all the qs, I am an SEN teacher and am trying to get a better picture overall.)

Advertisement