Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

hanging baskets

Options
  • 02-07-2019 11:22am
    Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭

Hi,
    looking advice, my hanging baskets are pitiful, i have 14 inch baskets and into each i planted 4 trailing begonias.

they looked like they were going to do there thing but now i have single flowers on stalky limbs.

the whole plants are stalky and are not trailing at all really.

The baskets are at the front of the house which faces sort of NE, they are watered well and feed a little tomato feed every 2 weeks, they are not over feed or over watered (in my opinion that is).

i am about to dump them as they look awful, any words of wisdom as to what i can do before taking them to the recycle centre.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 28,434 ✭✭✭✭looksee

North east is not an ideal situation for hanging baskets, and if they are in any sort of wind tunnel situation that would make it worse.

Did you plant the begonias as just corms or did you start them indoors earlier? It really hasn't been begonia weather and their situation would not help. If you just put corms into baskets and hung them out then that is the problem. They need a bit of minding and cherishing to get the spectacular displays you see in commercial baskets - they will have been weeks in a glass house situation getting going.

Taking the whole lot to the tip is a bit drastic and unnecessary. You could remove the corms and find some plants that would be more amenable to being in a northerly situation. Hardy annuals and perennials would do better, though not all are suitable for trailing. Try some small campanulas, snapdragons, pansy/violas. Put the begonias into pots and take them to the other side of the house where they will get a good dose of sunshine. It will be later in the season before they catch up though.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,696 ✭✭✭standardg60

The weather (until recently) hasn't been great for tuberous begonias as they like plenty of warmth and dislike wet conditions.
    Try moving them temporarily to a warmer spot and let them dry out between waterings, shade shouldn't really be an issue as they tolerate it fine.

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭mickward

i actual got dihearthened with them and i did not water them in a while, low and behold they look like they are taking a turn for the better.

Advertisement