Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

DCC take back bin collections

Options
124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Yeah they can own the system and manage the billing, while getting Greyhound or whoever to pick the bins up

• Registered Users Posts: 19,287 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

^

Except Greyhound won't agree to that because that requires them to produce their profits for scrutiny.

The Buckley's hide their accounts offshore for a reason.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,114 ✭✭✭PhilOssophy

Tony EH wrote: »
    ^

Except Greyhound won't agree to that because that requires them to produce their profits for scrutiny.

The Buckley's hide their accounts offshore for a reason.

Well then, somebody else will buy a few lorries and pick them up!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,202 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

I don't care who collects as long as they come at roughly the same time each week, as the city council managed to do for decades and greyhound seem to have a real problem with. Gives the pecky seagulls up to ten hours some days to play with the bags.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,069 ✭✭✭✭Sleeper12

spurious wrote:
    I don't care who collects as long as they come at roughly the same time each week, as the city council managed to do for decades and greyhound seem to have a real problem with. Gives the pecky seagulls up to ten hours some days to play with the bags.

Had DCC for most of my life but they were useless imo. Greyhound took over & were slightly better than DCC in that they didn't leave me weeks without a collection over Christmas. I moved to City Bins when they launched Four or Five years ago. They collect my bins at the same time each week. Bin is neatly placed at my own pillar. Collection between Christmas and New year they encourage us to leave out a clear plastic bag /bags with paper & cardboard that we can't fit into the green bin.

I recommend anyone not happy with Greyhound to try City Bins. I don't believe that you will ever change back

• Advertisement

spurious wrote: »

Greyhound epitomise everything that's wrong with modern private ventures. as soon as they got a lucrative deal, they cut staff, cut wages, hid their profits offshore so they could fiddle their taxes and worst of all they reduced the service to a joke and hiked up their prices to silly levels.

I'll sing a song the day they are chucked in the bin themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Sleeper12 wrote: »
    I find Greyhound are as you described above but City Bins are the complete opposite (on my street anyway). My bins are collected just before 8am each Friday and bins are placed neatly at driveway pillar. My pillar no less.

There shouldn't be differ collection days between you and your neighbours even if you use different companies. Laws /bylaws pass about two years ago say they must have the same day.

the answer then is to take provison back under DCC control and farm it out to City Bins!

• Registered Users Posts: 68,806 ✭✭✭✭L1011

It'll have to be tendered not just plonked in front of a specific firm; and I'd expect there to be multiple tenders for areas of the city to give the potential of all existing firms retaining a similar workload to reduce the chances of them suing.

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    the answer then is to take provison back uneder DCC control and farm it out to City Bins!

This will also require City Bin to declare their profits too and they won't want to do that, because it will force them to comply with their tax obligations to the country. They hide their accounts in Jersey to avoid paying their true taxes on the profits they make.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,492 ✭✭✭Sir Oxman

Tony EH wrote: »
    This will also require City Bin to declare their profits too and they won't want to do that, because it will force them to comply with their tax obligations to the country. They hide their accounts in Jersey to avoid paying their true taxes on the profits they make.

There's always some skullduggery going on.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

• Advertisement

Sir Oxman wrote: »
    There's always some skullduggery going on.
    Where there's muck there's brass.

You bet your life and every private bin company is at it, Panda, Oxigen, City Bin, Greyhound.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 518 ✭✭✭Lackadaisical

El_Bee wrote: »
    Weird how there's like 3 competing bin companies and prices only went up.

Biggest issue was the costs of disposal went way up. When the council were doing it there was cheap land filling and very much less pressure on sorting and recycling as poorly sorted waste supposedly being recycled was being accepted in China and elsewhere.

The costs of disposing of waste in Ireland went way, way up as there's been a general move away from just burying it.

We have done effectively nothing to reduce volumes of plastics and so on or make packaging more recyclable and have continued to produce more and more waste.

The costs are all down to failed policies by both the government nationally and the EU, neither of which are willing to force producers and retailers to clean up their acts and seem to just place all the burden on consumers who have limited ability to reduce.

Advertisement