Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Tree recommendations

Options
  • 02-07-2019 1:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭

Hi - I would like to get peoples opinions/recommendations on a 'feature' tree, currently revamping the garden and I want a nice looking tree.

Our garden is tiny... say from house to rear wall is 6/7m and width is approx 10m. Im building raised beds and the tree will go into one of these. When ever I look for small garden tree options they are always miniature trees which I dont want I need something that grows up in the air out of the garden, foliage starting at 4-6ft (I understand the tree will grow and I can cut off branches.

Its not going to be in the center of the garden but will be viewable from the backdoor. It being a small garden there are walls everywhere near by so hopefully something that is not too disruptive in terms of roots. Something simple and light bulb shape for want of a better description but unique and interesting feature too.

Ive looked at native Irish trees as I like the idea but cant help but feel they are a little boring... If I had more space I would have some native trees but I will only have one tree in this garden.

Any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭staples7

Personally I like trees that offer a little something when the leafs are gone in the winter. Perhaps something with a nice bark like a Himalayan birch (which is sold in any good nursery or garden centre) or a Tibetan Cherry tree, again widely available.

Im trying to grow an Empress tree (Paulownia) at the moment but its only year 2. I just love the size of the leafs but beware its very fast growing. Ive seen pictures of the Indian bean tree, again a lovely leaf.

Or could keep it simple with a maple or copper beech...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

Acer brilliantissimum would be ideal for a small garden as it's slow growing but forms a lovely shape over time.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

A copper beech would fill your garden and several surrounding gardens! Its a parkland tree, not for a small garden.

OP please don't depend on cutting off branches to control your tree, while it can be done it is rarely attractive and depending on type of tree, could kill it.

Maybe a crab apple - check final height, but they make a nice medium tree. Craetus (hawthorn) makes a very nice little compact tree, if a bit susceptible to rust. Silver Birch, Rowan, Maple - again check final height. For guidance, the height of a 2 story house to the gutter is about 6 meters.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Pear trees actually put on a nice display of flowers in spring as do apples and they are usually pruned regularly to keep them in a good shape and size for producing good crops of fruit. I know you are saying you do not mind cutting branches off your tree to keep it to a size that would fit comfortably in your garden but I think pruning can take away from the appearance of many trees and picking a type that can be left grow to its natural shape and size might be the better option than having something that will always have to be cut back. The are a number of trees that are not miniature but would fit comfortably in a relatively small garden. Amelanchier/June berry might be worth considering and I also have a flowering almond that has developed into a nice medium sized tree.

My other two suggestions for a stand out specimen tree would be our native whitebeam and Japanese zelkova but these may get slightly too big for where you are talking about planting.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,069 ✭✭✭✭Lumen

Rhus typhina, the staghorn sumac.

Lovely all year round, incredible in autumn.

20170924-085018.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,371 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

Ceanothus. Just get the tree variety not the shrub or ground cover!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Lumen wrote: »

20170924-085018.jpg

But throws up suckers all over the place.

But throws up suckers all over the place.

Not in my garden. I've had one in three years.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 32,688 ✭✭✭✭ytpe2r5bxkn0c1

Not in my garden. I've had one in three years.

Give it a few more years and suckers will appear up to 10ft from it.

It's classed as an invasive plant in many places.

Google Sumac Suckers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,189 ✭✭✭yellowlabrador

black locust "Twisty Baby', I have one in the front gaden and it looks good all year round and gets a lot of interest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,130 ✭✭✭RiderOnTheStorm

+1 on apple tree.
    Wont get huge. You get apples in autumn. Lovely blossom in spring.

If you get only 1, get self pollinator, unless there are others nearby

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,449 ✭✭✭✭pwurple

We have apple trees, and I wouldn't recommend for a small garden. We kindof avoid the area around wasp time. Also a good amount of maintenance needed.. pruning, watching for fungus, and needs other apple trees around.

A garden centre can recommend lovely trees.

I like the acer above, but prefer the colour and bark of Acer griseum. Lots of others Acer's suitable if sheltered. The Japanese Acer's are gorgeous.
    As are cherry blossoms.
    Prunus serrula has a fab coppery peeling bark and lovely flowers.
    Laburnum is stunning, loads of yellow flowers, great scent.
    There are some small varieties of magnolia.

Liquidamber is the shape you a looking for. Great autumn colour.

This is more a large shrub, but Cornus Forest Pansy is a lovely colour and gets big enough. Great autumn show too

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭macraignil

Give it a few more years and suckers will appear up to 10ft from it.

It's classed as an invasive plant in many places.

Google Sumac Suckers.

I can verify the staghorn sumac tendency to produce suckers with the one I have producing a few this year that I dug out as soon as I saw them. I also remember the same thing happening in my grandmothers garden when she was growing one. I think they do have a very interesting leaf shape and the autumn colour is very nice but another thing to consider with them is the female ones have much nicer fruit structures that last through winter so are worth picking ahead of the male trees. The one in the photo looks like a female.

• Registered Users Posts: 772 ✭✭✭baaba maal

I think spindle is a lovely small tree- native but looks a bit exotic!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭Billgirlylegs

macraignil wrote: »
    I can verify the staghorn sumac tendency to produce suckers with the one I have producing a few this year that I dug out as soon as I saw them. I also remember the same thing happening in my grandmothers garden when she was growing one. I think they do have a very interesting leaf shape and the autumn colour is very nice but another thing to consider with them is the female ones have much nicer fruit structures that last through winter so are worth picking ahead of the male trees. The one in the photo looks like a female.

If the OP goes trimming or pruning this it will sprout all over his garden.
    Incredible root runs once they are pruned .

It does look the business in autumn
    almost looks like a mid air bonfire

OMG, this is worse than when you all told me my griselinia was ugly.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

Op here - Loads of suggestions there thanks a mill

Cursory look I do like the look of the Liquidambar and yes I also like the acers.

I suppose small garden yes but I don't necessarily want the trees main foliage at face height which I think the 'Rhus typhina, the staghorn sumac.' would be taking up what little space we have .. I want the tree up out of the garden height wise as what little space we have I want to be able to use it.

Would something like this be mad in a small garden...? https://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/alnus-incana-aurea---golden-alder/alnus_aurea

Further research on my part required... ill come back and let ye know which way we went!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,686 ✭✭✭standardg60

Doop wrote: »

Cursory look I do like the look of the Liquidambar and yes I also like the acers.

I suppose small garden yes but I don't necessarily want the trees main foliage at face height which I think the 'Rhus typhina, the staghorn sumac.' would be taking up what little space we have .. I want the tree up out of the garden height wise as what little space we have I want to be able to use it.

Would something like this be mad in a small garden...? https://www.johnstowngardencentre.ie/p/alnus-incana-aurea---golden-alder/alnus_aurea

Further research on my part required... ill come back and let ye know which way we went!

Funnily enough I actually have one of those in my own garden..and yes it would suit fine, mine has reached about 18 feet in the same amount of years.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,311 ✭✭✭blackbox

I'd recommend this as well. Great tree like structure for a small tree and fabulous autumn colour. Nice downy branches in winter. They do put out suckers but they are manageable, especially in raised bed.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,157 ✭✭✭wildwillow

That will grow to 10 meters, that is over 30 feet. It may take a while but that height isn't suitable.

Try to imagine the mature tree in situ before you buy. You might be able to use a photo software programme to superimpose it on a photo of your house and garden. It is easier to go without the tree than remove it when you have no light, your drains are undermined and your foundations in trouble.

You really need to consider something smaller. You seem to want something which has a trunk but no growth below head height.
    Would you consider Cercis siliquastrum, the Judas tree. It gives lots of interest but also lends itself to pollarding and so you could keep it under contol.
    Otherwise I would go for an ormental crab apple tree which you can prune for top growth.
    It is not prone to attracting bees and wasps when in fruit.

• Advertisement

I know this is an old thread but I would be interested to know what you went with OP? I'm looking for a tree and have a similar sized garden to yours

I would love the liquidamber as suggested but surely that's too big a tree for a small garden?

• Registered Users Posts: 14 Aboppy1

Cornus controversa

• Registered Users Posts: 1,470 ✭✭✭Doop

I know this is an old thread but I would be interested to know what you went with OP? I'm looking for a tree and have a similar sized garden to yours

OP here... in the end we went for an Acer Palmatum Osakazuki, delighted with it.. It turns an amazing vibrant red in autum and is a great size and shape, been down for a year or so now.. Tree seems happy in its spot!
    First photo is when it first went in, second is mid summer and third is yesterday..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15s1DfxDhiYrAWFMfD1qx1MOiAHUWmKBr/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15shLAHPpL_8WgQ8FaaZ7a7uzrOUhz4NI/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15v4hPpcz6N6iMdFLTNT-tzKQ7Zamatpy/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15xenWVgndAIZJrT0LnHuSWh01O7mJ75p/view?usp=drivesdk

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭moceri

OP here... in the end we went for an Acer Palmatum Osakazuki, delighted with it.. It turns an amazing vibrant red in autum and is a great size and shape, been down for a year or so now.. Tree seems happy in its spot!
    First photo is when it first went in, second is mid summer and third is yesterday..

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15s1DfxDhiYrAWFMfD1qx1MOiAHUWmKBr/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15shLAHPpL_8WgQ8FaaZ7a7uzrOUhz4NI/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15v4hPpcz6N6iMdFLTNT-tzKQ7Zamatpy/view?usp=drivesdk

https://drive.google.com/file/d/15xenWVgndAIZJrT0LnHuSWh01O7mJ75p/view?usp=drivesdk

That's very nice. Might consider something like that for a different spot in my garden

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭karlitob

Does anyone know what this is. The colour and leaves are fantastic. It always stops me in my tracks when I walk past.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,428 ✭✭✭✭looksee

It looks like the Robinia Pseudoacacia that I was recommending on another thread https://futureforests.ie/products/robinia-pseudoacacia-frisia

• Registered Users Posts: 1,500 ✭✭✭Reckless Abandonment

100% looksee. They are a fantastic tree. Hope to pic one up myself soon

• Advertisement

Prunus serulata Amanogawa - it's a columnar cherry blossom.
    It grows up to 7m high but only 2m wide. Great blossoms in spring and good autumn color in October.

Acer platanoides 'Globosum' - sold top grafted on a 2.2m clear stem. Lovely compact tree with year-round interest, including autumn color and winter architecture. Maximum height 5m; maximum spread 4m, but can be maintained to preference.

Advertisement