Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Eir SMTP and Outlook 2019

Options
  • 02-07-2019 2:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭

Hi,

Just got a new laptop and trying to set up the latest Microsoft Outlook. Setting everything as per my old computer running Outlook 2013 and I keep getting the same error.

"We couldn't connect to the outgoing (SMTP) server. None of the authentication methods supported by Outlook are supported by your server. For more information, contact your email administrator"

Set to mail1.eircom.net port 25 with encryption as "none" and no authentication checked.

I called Eir who hadn't a clue. A quick google seems to throw up a few similar errors going back years but nothing obvious. Have tried different ports 465 and 587 (i think) and mail2.eircom.net and ticked and unticked everything but just creates more errors.

Email is hosted through Register365 and ISP in the office is Eir.

Anyone have any suggestions?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 114 ✭✭Gobethewall

Had the same problem. Gave up on outlook and changed over to Thunderbird. Works a treat, no problems whatsoever and have been using it ever since

• Registered Users Posts: 2,249 ✭✭✭pippip

I have used Thunderbird in the past so may consider that route again.

I'm going to take it home and see if I can setup with VirginMedia smtp.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

I use mail.eircom.net with port 25 and encryption set to None and it work fine for me.

is_that_so wrote: »
    I use mail.eircom.net with port 25 and encryption set to None and it work fine for me.

Just tried and no success. Really annoying since all works fine on old computer.

At home with virgin media and set to outgoing to smtp.upcmail.ie and port 25 with no encryption or authentication and it keeps popping up a box asking for username and password for smtp.upcmail.ie

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Finally got it. I abandoned the standard "add account" method in outlook and spotted a create a new profile option lower in the menu which brought up a more legacy option of adding an account which had more settings related to pop emails.

Thanks for all the assistance.

Advertisement