Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sun holiday top

Options
  • 02-07-2019 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭

Hi. Male. Early 40’s. One annoying thing about sun holidays is the sun cream. Bloody hate it LOL. You put sun cream on, then you have the need to put a top on and because the sun cream is sticky even after rubbed in for a while, it’s a pain to put tops on and then take them off.

What material top could I use that would ‘slide’ on and off over some cream.

Or maybe I could use a shirt of suitable material so I would have to pull over my head.

Or maybe even try a different sun cream.

#firstworldproblems

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,630 ✭✭✭obi604

Bump

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 9,722 Mod ✭✭✭✭Twee.

Give the suncream more time to dry in, and wear a shirt.

Suncream shouldn't be sticky if it's dried in properly. You should be putting it on 30 minutes before you go in the sun anyway.

Make sure you're not using too much, and maybe try a different brand. I don't think there's any genius solution here.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Yep, any product needs a few minutes to dry in. This is my favourite suncream spray, I find it the most comfortable.

https://www.garnier.co.uk/sun-protection/beauty/ambre-solaire/resisto-kids/ambre-solaire-kids-sensitive-hypoallergenic-anti-sand-sun-cream-spray-spf50plus-200ml

I know its for kids but I just like the formula. Its widely available.

Clothes wise, check the labels of what you're buying. Look for natural fibers like cotton and linen as they're breathable.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,617 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

SozBbz wrote: »
    Yep, any product needs a few minutes to dry in. This is my favourite suncream spray, I find it the most comfortable.

https://www.garnier.co.uk/sun-protection/beauty/ambre-solaire/resisto-kids/ambre-solaire-kids-sensitive-hypoallergenic-anti-sand-sun-cream-spray-spf50plus-200ml

I know its for kids but I just like the formula. Its widely available.

Clothes wise, check the labels of what you're buying. Look for natural fibers like cotton and linen as they're breathable.

I was just about to comment to recommend the same product. The mist is very fine and isn't sticky at all. I won't use any other type of suncream. And I'm just about to head to Sicily and have bought a new bottle of this. Was surprised to see it advertised specifically for kids as I've used it for years now. It's kinda nonsense to market it just for kids. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 1,889 ✭✭✭SozBbz

Mollyb60 wrote: »
    I was just about to comment to recommend the same product. The mist is very fine and isn't sticky at all. I won't use any other type of suncream. And I'm just about to head to Sicily and have bought a new bottle of this. Was surprised to see it advertised specifically for kids as I've used it for years now. It's kinda nonsense to market it just for kids. :rolleyes:

Yeah its the best I've used. Picked it up as it was the only aerosol in spf50 on the shelf, wasnt bothered by the kids thing. Happy I did, its by far the most lightweight I've tried and I found it dried in as opposed to just sitting on my skin and making me feel clammy and uncomfortable. I've repurchased it a few times now.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,372 ✭✭✭✭HeidiHeidi

Lidl also do a sunscreen aerosol spray - I use the factor 30 and find it brilliant, I think there's a kids' factor 50 version and haven't tried that personally, but would imagine it's also very good.

Not greasy/claggy at all, it dries in brilliantly.

ETA - this is the one I use https://www.lidl.ie/en/special-offers.htm?articleId=18943, actually I don't see a 50+ spray one on the website.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MommaSarah

I find that the sprays are actually stickier than creams. I bought a P20 spray this year, because I thought it better quality or something, but the feeling after application was awful... and you don't see which area you haven't covered yet.

So I went back to good o'l cream. I really like the Anthelios cream for kids from La Roche Possay - I have sensitive skin, so it suits me
    https://www.laroche-posay.ie/sun/range/anthelios

I also avoid the cheapest ones, like from Aldi, Lidl or Soltan - I'd be afraid they compromise on ingredients in order to maintain low price.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,092 ✭✭✭fineso.mom

Aldi and lidl suncreams are better than a lot of the more expensive/established brands. They have come out on top in numerous surveys and lab analyses.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,174 ✭✭✭RhubarbCrumble

Aldi suncream is brilliant. I've used it both home and abroad for years now and never had a problem with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 39 MommaSarah

fineso.mom wrote: »
    Aldi and lidl suncreams are better than a lot of the more expensive/established brands. They have come out on top in numerous surveys and lab analyses.

Ok, maybe they do the same job in terms of protecting your skin from uv rays, so if you have normal skin it makes no difference to you.

I have a dry type of skin plus sometimes eczema, so then it does matter to me what brand I use.

I have tried using cheap brands ages ago, as I just couldn't afford anything expensive. If I put such a cream on a dry red patch on my skin it would start stinging, itching (although Anthelios cream I mentioned earlier also did sting a little bit) and the dry patch would flare up so badly it had to be treated with a steroid cream. Otherwise I would keep scratching the place until it oozes pus...

So I'm not saying I use expensive brands of sun creams just because they're expensive (e.g. Malibu, where you pay for the fancy bottle and scent) but because they take skin problems into consideration and don't put perfumes in it, for example.

• Advertisement
Advertisement