Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Idles - Iveagh Gardens

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

I heard they covered "Linger".

• Registered Users Posts: 574 ✭✭✭fillup

Wooderson wrote: »
    I heard they covered "Linger".

"Covered" would be a very loose description of what happened

• Registered Users Posts: 3,233 ✭✭✭Billy Mays

That bit was awful

Linger, In the Name of Love and Living on a Prayer

What was the f*cking point of that?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,878 ✭✭✭Easy Rod

Billy Mays wrote: »
    That bit was awful

They do terrible covers pretty regularly in that breakdown. I think it’s fantastically terrible and hope they always do it.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,810 ✭✭✭✭The Nal

That bit was awful

Sometimes they do Mariahs All I Want for Christmas.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,476 ✭✭✭✭murpho999

That bit was awful

Thought it was great and clever how they fitted it to their style, I wouldn't take it serious at all.

I'm still buzzing from hat show last night and I haven't had that in a long time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Decent gig and a great crowd. I'd agree with an earlier poster that the "covers" are getting a bit much - All I Want For Christmas was funny enough the first couple of times but shoehorning in novelty covers is getting a bit old now. Also, anyone know why Great seems to have been dropped from rotation - they played it in the Button Factory but not Vicar Street or Iveagh Gardens. The set isn't exactly overlong as it is, so why leave out such a belter?

Low point of the evening was Joe coming back on after the set finished to drag some randomers up for a butchering of Óró, sé do bheatha bhaile. That was excruciating. The band's "no encore" policy should be extended to include that kind of gack with immediate effect.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

Danco wrote: »
    Decent gig and a great crowd. I'd agree with an earlier poster that the "covers" are getting a bit much - All I Want For Christmas was funny enough the first couple of times but shoehorning in novelty covers is getting a bit old now. Also, anyone know why Great seems to have been dropped from rotation - they played it in the Button Factory but not Vicar Street or Iveagh Gardens. The set isn't exactly overlong as it is, so why leave out such a belter?

Low point of the evening was Joe coming back on after the set finished to drag some randomers up for a butchering of Óró, sé do bheatha bhaile. That was excruciating. The band's "no encore" policy should be extended to include that kind of gack with immediate effect.

That was a load of ****, yes. Not a good idea leaving "Well Done" off their setlist either.

However, another cracking gig from the boys. Idles seem to have the most diverse fans. There was a 5 year old on his dad's shoulders bopping away. Also a man at least 70 years old rocking an I'm Scum t shirt !!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,014 ✭✭✭Wooderson

Oh dear god.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 153 ✭✭Danco

Wooderson wrote: »
    Oh dear god.

I should probably qualify that a bit - Joe came back out and asked if anyone wanted to come up and start a singsong; he didn't specify the song or take any part in it in fairness to the man - just walked off again once the two volunteers had started about their business. Still, ill-advised at the very least...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,722 ✭✭✭Stillill42

What a great night out. Iveagh Gardens, sun shining, dead on crowd, 3 great bands in top form. Life is good.

They just asked for people to sing a song and the two girls chose it and they were fine. It was just a bit of craic and I think Idles wanted an Irish twist at the end.

Would have preferred an encore but so be it.

Would have loved to have heard "June".

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

murpho999 wrote: »

Would have loved to have heard "June".

Have they ever played it live? I'm sure I read somewhere that Joe said he never would.

I'd probably cry tbh

theteal wrote: »
    Have they ever played it live? I'm sure I read somewhere that Joe said he never would.

I'd probably cry tbh

That's a pity they never play it but it's such a powerful and emotional song, I can get why they don't play it. Too personal.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

murpho999 wrote: »
    That's a pity they never play it but it's such a powerful and emotional song, I can get why they don't play it. Too personal.
    I wrote this song for me. It’s the only song where I’ve ever written the lyrics first and will probably remain so. I struggled to see where it would fit on the album because it was so personal, but after hearing the riff Lee [Kiernan, guitarist] wrote, I realized that I did want to show my pain. I wanted to illuminate the importance of grieving parents' right to call themselves mothers and fathers. I’m not sure I’ll ever be able to play that song live.

— Joe Talbot in a track by track interview with NPR (stolen from Genius.com)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,391 ✭✭✭Lotus Flower

Enjoyed it but it was my sixth time seeing them and will probably be my last

• Registered Users Posts: 1,064 ✭✭✭runningbuddy

That is a lot ! was my 4th time seeing them....

Am interested to see what they produce next

• Registered Users Posts: 12,822 ✭✭✭✭mfceiling

Am interested to see what they produce next

Apparently the album is written and the artwork is done. Due for release in 2020.

I really enjoyed the gig last night. Crowd was brilliant...Just a mix of complete randomers!!

• Registered Users Posts: 145 ✭✭shamtastic

Was a great gig, really diverse crowd. Would have liked to hear Well Done and Great as mentioned before. Also wasn't a fan of bringing the people up on stage during the breakdown of Exeter, probably the most tense crescendo on the first album, don't mess with it! Rolling Blackouts were great, it's gas, I've listened to their album I'd say 15 times and never noticed they changed vocalist between tracks!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,795 ✭✭✭sweetie

My fourth time too. Enjoyed it but didn't match their indoor gigs tbh. Think the sound level wasnt loud enough compared to usual. RBCF were very good but their Whelan's gig was sublime.

• Advertisement
Advertisement