Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Off work sick, management harrassing with calls

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,380 ✭✭✭STB.

ill humour you.

read section 62

4 years, 56 days absence, pro rata, 4 years, ie 14 days

and its all couched as may, action, dept choice

ive seen it actioned with less where the pattern justified it

ive seen it waived where the discretion was applied

ive seen the action taken be failed probation, ive seen it be extended probation.

im a manager in the civil service who has used the section in question more than once and im telling you your correction of the poster was wrong, your basis for the correction was irrelevant, your rejoinder to me was irrelevant and your reversion to quoting info on pay thresholds is still irrelevant

thread is veering off topic and tbh theres no point humouring you on this any further.

It says nothing about ending your probation if you are two weeks sick in 12 months. This is what the previous poster had claimed. "will end your probation if you exceed 2 weeks sick in the first 12 months"

Yes I know plenty of civil servants (many middle managers and many much higher than HEO's snoop). If the probationers performance was fine, you would not be thrown out exceeding 2 weeks sick leave, and not by a line manager.

I'll humour you. I think we both know that the call would be from the HR division not a line manager in relation to sick leave and NOT on that basis alone. There would have to be attendance and work performance issues.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,507 ✭✭✭runawaybishop

STB. wrote: »
    It says nothing about ending your probation if you are two weeks sick in 12 months. This is what the previous poster had claimed. "will end your probation if you exceed 2 weeks sick in the first 12 months"

Yes I know plenty of civil servants (many middle managers and many much higher than HEO's snoop). If the probationers performance was fine, you would not be thrown out exceeding 2 weeks sick leave, and not by a line manager.

I'll humour you. I think we both know that the call would be from the HR division not a line manager in relation to sick leave and NOT on that basis alone. There would have to be attendance and work performance issues.

The HR performance divisions default recommendation when exceeding 2 weeks sick leave during probation is that the officer is not confirmed. If you take a week in the first 6 months that can be enough to fail your probation. So, your point that 'most companies' consider 4+weeks extended leave is nonsense.

You haven't a clue what you are talking about and are giving the op advice that could easily result in them being let go. Cop on.

The sick leave limits that apply during the one year probationary contract are as follows:

Not more than and/or in a period of service of
    7 days sick leave absence 3 instances 6 months
    14 days sick leave absence 6 instances 12 months

Sick leave and attendance are taken into account in evaluating the overall performance of staff on probation. Where the sick leave thresholds are exceeded, the staff member will not be confirmed in their post except in exceptional circumstances.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 51,688 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stheno

Closed at op request

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement