Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,835 ✭✭✭Panrich

Blueshoe wrote: »
    I'm not a fan of the EU. It's collapse is the best way forward

A fragmented and divided Europe caused two world wars and you want the EU to collapse and go back to that dynamic. There's a lot of dangerous ****e being posted on this thread.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭fly_agaric

Seemingly Andrew "the British are entitled to an Irish passport" Bridgen was talking to Marian Finucane about our shared history and even referred to Cromwell.
    No audio available yet.

Listened to some of it.
    Earlier he said the EU needed to be "brough to heel" by the UK + a load of the usual nationalistic they need us more than we need them blather.

Then shoe-horned in Cromwell for the LOLs no doubt thinking he was such a smart and edgy lad (as the current right wing political fashion) doing it on Irish radio programme.

Last few times have tuned in that programme seems to give a lot of air time to cowardly opinions (an uncharitable person might call it Shoneenism!) around the Brexit issue.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Panrich wrote: »
    A fragmented and divided Europe caused two world wars and you want the EU to collapse and go back to that dynamic. There's a lot of dangerous ****e being posted on this thread.

Forward that to government offices. They could use that as spin in the future .

I can see it. Something like.

If the EU collapses Hitler will come back and world war 3 will start.

Do you think Britain will declare war on the EU after Brexit or vice versa?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,248 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

What is it you are looking for that you need the EU to collapse? Can you outline it?

What is it you are looking for that you need the EU to collapse? Can you outline it?

No. I don't need to justify my opinion to you. I am entitled to mine just like yours. You do not need to justify yourself to me.

• Advertisement

No. I don't need to justify my opinion to you. I am entitled to mine just like yours. You do not need to justify yourself to me.

:D:D I suspect you just want to see the world burn for vindictive kicks.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,423 ✭✭✭batgoat

You are but it's not a great sign when you aren't willing to disclose why on a discussion forum...

There is an element of truth in that. Not for vindictive kicks though. Just kicks in general.

Let's call a spade a spade.

I don't like politicians
    I don't like governments
    I don't like agenda driven media
    I don't like paying taxes and having no say in how the money taken from my wallet is spent

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

The 100 Years War. (1337 - 1453. Approx 3m died)
    The 30 Years War. (1618-1648. 8m died)
    The War of Spanish Succession. (1701–1714. 400k died)
    The Napoleonic War. (1803-15. 2m died)
    Plus the 'minor' wars like France Vs Germany, Dutch Vs British, Dutch Vs Spanish... Irish Vs British..

Those are just off the top of my head.

It's been wall to wall war across the European continent until the creation of a trading bloc called the EEC came into being - which expanded into the EU.

Personally, I think a stable Europe without stupid nationalistic conflicts is a good thing.

But now 80 years to the day the last 'great' European conflict broke out some people just seem to want to see us all at each other's throats again.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

It's pie in the sky stuff if you think no deal isn't going to massively effect Europe. Personally I think within 12 months the effects will be so massive on Ireland in particular the conversation on leaving and hitching our trailer to the UK will be openly talked about.

Pride will come well down the list before having people in work and keeping the lights on.
    You really have offered no support nor evidence for any of your wild claims beyond your opinion.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I don't think you really understand geopolitics at all. The relevant comparator is not necessarily Germany, 1930s although there are parallels, but Yugoslavia, 1990s. The UK is in serious risk of a schism - and I don't mean Scottish independence - I mean polarised opinions and complete intolerance and ignorance on one side in particular - and before you pop up - that isn't the Remain side. The Remain side has not been killing MPs and attacking others.

I gather you are anti-EU. It is your right. I live in a triangle of land that saw some absolutely awful fighting 80 and 100 years ago. I don't know if you are British but round where I am, the war memorials and sacrifices of previous generations still matter. The British seem to have forgotten for all their victory rhetoric.

Maybe the EU is better off without the UK. But the biggest risk right now is to the UK and not the EU.

There is an element of truth in that. Not for vindictive kicks though. Just kicks in general.

I don't like politicians
    I don't like governments
    I don't like paying taxes and having no say in how the money taken from my wallet is spent

Jaysus.

I don't like politicians
    I don't like governments

Canada isn't the place for you either. You might want to consider other options.

I don't like politicians
    I don't like governments

One also assumes you don't like hospitals, roads, schools, TV/film, broadband, regulations around employment etc etc.

Yet here you are -posting on a site owned by a media company using a broadband network licenced by a government.

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    One also assumes you don't like hospitals, roads, schools, TV/film, broadband, regulations around employment etc etc.

Yet here you are -posting on a site owned by a media company using a broadband network licenced by a government.

Living in a shack in the woods with nothing isn't very practical

Calina wrote: »
    Canada isn't the place for you either. You might want to consider other options.

At least you guys knew where to start with that ridiculous juvenile list. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Typical brexiteers wishful thinking for the EU to collapse because the UK is a weakling faced against the might and size of the EU.

It's almost as if the script from Yes Minister is actual government policy.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

Good to see the mad, bad and sad side to Brexit. Not much positive, planned, or looking after the people memes though.

A microcosm of Britain today really.

Ignore button is God's gift, but only when you realise that some posters are goading for the sake of it.

Neither is not having a government.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18 Libb1964

No change to the common travel agreement thingy.

Stated many times

Not helpful when they want to go on a family holiday to other European Union countries.

• Advertisement

Libb1964 wrote: »
    Not helpful when they want to go on a family holiday to other European Union countries.

Short stay or holiday visa.

Short stay or holiday visa.

She was posting about how it would be awkward for her husband to travel with his son (who would travel on a European passport)
    As you said, not difficult in the CTA, but it would be awkward on family holidays. Although not impossible.

biko wrote: »
    Since he calls Ireland his home and have been here 12 years he should already be a naturalised Irish citizen.

He can apply for naturalisation. It's not cheap and not something all families can afford.

She was posting about how it would be awkward for her husband to travel with his son (who would travel on a European passport)
    As you said, not difficult in the CTA, but it would be awkward on family holidays. Although not impossible.

Traveling to the continent would require a holiday visa for anyone without an EU passport. It's not hard or awkward. Apply online 6 weeks before you go. Digital visa. Same as Australia or Canada or wherever.

Job done. Enjoy your holidays. Wear sunscreen

Traveling to the continent would require a holiday visa for anyone without an EU passport. It's not hard or awkward. Apply online 6 weeks before you go. Digital visa. Same as Australia or Canada or wherever.

Job done. Enjoy your holidays. Wear sunscreen

Here is an example of red tape required post Brexit not required preBrexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

Calina wrote: »

I don't like politicians
    I don't like governments

He should definitely consider going somewhere

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

You mite like it if you have it a go

He should definitely consider going somewhere

Expect a substantial rise in your living costs and possibly an increase in your income tax in 2020s budget. A blind man can see this coming.

Throw in some carbon tax increases on top

You might be looking for somewhere else yourself.

Expect a substantial rise in your living costs and possibly an increase in your income tax in 2020s budget. A blind man can see this coming.

Throw in some carbon tax increases on top

You might be looking for somewhere else yourself.

Says the poster wishing for all this and much worse, but who doesn't want to pay taxes. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement

Says the poster wishing for all this and much worse, but who doesn't want to pay taxes. :rolleyes:

Yes exactly. I won't be here. Who would want to be here when the shït hits the fan.
    Years of government pïssing money away will come back to bite everyone in the backside.

The hard working obedient people of Ireland screwed yet again but when the election comes around there is no viable alternative. Basket case

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement