Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is there a website that publishes the results of decisions made by the EU.

Different laws and rules that they make. That kind of thing. Rules they make that all countries have to follow. Or is it all done behind closed doors

Most of what you want is on europa.eu.

1) European Parliament. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/portal/en

All its committees and plenaries are live streamed in up to 23 languages. Check here for further info http://www.europarl.europa.eu/about-parliament/en

Here's Council https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/european-council/ which live streams a lot of their meetings too. This is the member state governments. Check here for their conclusions https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/european-council/conclusions/

Court of Justice https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/jcms/j_6/en/

has all its decisions in a searchable data base.

Official journal is here https://eur-lex.europa.eu/content/help/oj/intro.html Also check the menu there for EU law and EU case law.

I am on a phone so you may have to cp the links.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Danzy wrote: »
    The sad reality is that interest rates in the Eurozone will stay low for years and years to come.

How deep in to negative rates is the only question.

The damage and effects of this low interest rates will take years to straighten out.

It's pointless having money on deposit now.

Calina wrote: »
    Most of what you want is on europa.eu.

1) European Parliament. http://www.europarl.europa.eu/portal/en

All its committees and plenaries are live streamed in up to 23 languages. Check here for further info http://www.europarl.europa.eu/about-parliament/en

Here's Council https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/european-council/ which live streams a lot of their meetings too. This is the member state governments. Check here for their conclusions https://www.consilium.europa.eu/en/european-council/conclusions/

Court of Justice https://curia.europa.eu/jcms/jcms/j_6/en/

has all its decisions in a searchable data base.

Official journal is here https://eur-lex.europa.eu/content/help/oj/intro.html Also check the menu there for EU law and EU case law.

I am on a phone so you may have to cp the links.

Fair play. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

janfebmar wrote: »
    The germans set the interest rates to suit themselves, we are insignificant. During the boom they left the interest rates too low, because Gernany needed that, but it just put fuel on property lending here. Then in 06 , 07, 08 they raised interest rates a lot, crippling our economy when we needed high interest rates least. Do you know what effect even just a 2% rise will have on our economy now?
    There will be no 2% rate increase for a very long time, probably closer to the end of the next decade IMO. I don't know why you are blaming the Germans for our own very rash economic decisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,249 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

I must have missed the violent coup and jailing of opposition party members

Not what I alluded to at all. Shutting down parliament...stunts with office workers being led out by police...threatening MPs with their seat...and today, a senior government minister refusing to commit to obeying the will of parliament.

We are moving at a steady pace to it.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

The sad reality is that interest rates in the Eurozone will stay low for years and years to come.

How deep in to negative rates is the only question.

The damage and effects of this low interest rates will take years to straighten out.

The Eurozone is already the slowest growing region in the world, and has been for years. It will be even worse in the future, according to you.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,857 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

It is.

Long term the ECB interest rate disaster will radically alter European economies.

The Eurozone is already the slowest growing region in the world, and has been for years. It will be even worse in the future, according to you.

I think it will be worse, chronic low growth has structural effects after a while.

It is hardly controversial, many leading EU figures and supporters talk about their concerns in this regard.

I think it will be worse, chronic low growth has structural effects after a while.

It is hardly controversial, many leading EU figures and supporters talk about their concerns in this regard.

Interest rates were cut to boost growth previously. Is this correct? Ie cheap money.

What will they do the next time

The EU GDP will decrease by 18% after the UK leaves. Where will that be recovered from?

Big push to get a trade deal done with Brazil perhaps. Including a beef deal that will impact our 3 billion a year industry.

The Ifa have said that if they produced beef using the same methods as Brazil they wouldn't be allowed to sell it on supermarket shelves.

Interest rates were cut to boost growth previously. Is this correct? Ie cheap money.

What will they do the next time

Who knows what they'll do.

Negative interest rates in the good times, what do they do in a normal global slowdown?

Another round of QE?

Use QE to fund a European wide infrastructure programme?

Keep growth barely moving took some bizarre central banking and the last 7 years where good globally.

• Advertisement

Would somebody who hates paying tax not use a mattress?

You'd get all the headliner gigs! An expert on the EU who can't get it together to find out how it works. :rolleyes:

To find out how it works. Expand on that Francis

To find out how it works. Expand on that Francis

You had to ask a basic question about EU rules...and the answer was the fairly obvious one.

You had to ask a basic question about EU rules...and the answer was the fairly obvious one.

What question exactly

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

Behave ourselves by increasing our national debt from 50 billion to 200 billion ? Wait until they put up interest rates again
    Which they will, at a time to suit themselves.

We'll get a pat on the head though. We the bestest boy in the world

What question exactly
    Blueshoe wrote:
    Is there a website that publishes the results of decisions made by the EU.

If you didn't know how to access that info then it's safe to assume your knowledge of the thing you want to see collapse (for the lols) is a bit suspect.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

'Growth' isn't everything. China has had strong growth for the last few decades but not many would choose to live in China over Europe. 'But low growth' is often just another inflatable sword people use to try to stab the EU.

We need to be looking at a post-growth societies anyway, or at least economic models that don't depend on limitless growth which is destroying the planet.

If you didn't know how to access that info then it's safe to assume your knowledge of the thing you want to see collapse (for the lols) is a bit suspect.

Did you know how to access that info? Do you keep abreast of the latest news from Brussels?

• Advertisement

Did you know how to access that info? Do you keep abreast of the latest news from Brussels?

Yes I do.

'Growth' isn't everything. China has had strong growth for the last few decades but not many would choose to live in China over the Europe. 'But low growth' is often just another inflatable sword people use to try to stab the EU.

We need to be looking at a post-growth societies anyway, or at least economic models that don't depend on limitless growth which is destroying the planet.

The vindictive just want to see it burn for the fun of it and the usual crowd just want a pat on the head for rescuing the British from the cul-de-sac they drove up themselves.

Yes I do.

I'd say you do alright Francis.

Any news to report from the EU parliament or commission?
    Any recent rule changes? Anything at all?
    Anything we should be aware of?

I'd say you do alright Francis.

Any news to report from the EU parliament or commission?
    Any recent rule changes? Anything at all?
    Anything we should be aware of?

This, along with twitter, boards.ie the Irish Times, and a couple of business sites opens as a default site on my browser every day and I look at it every day.

https://www.euronews.com/european-affairs/european-news

This, along with twitter, boards.ie the Irish Times, and a couple of business sites opens as a default site on my browser every day and I look at it every day.

https://www.euronews.com/european-affairs/european-news

That's euro news Francis. That's a media site not the page of the European parliament or commission.

Different thing altogether Francis.

That's euro news Francis. That's a media site not the page of the European parliament or commission.

Different thing altogether Francis.

Go away!

Guess where I go if I need more detail?

You had to ask on a site where you were pontificating about wanting to see it collapse. Sad.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

I feel the need to answer this a little further.

Both FT and Politico.eu have Brussels focused newsletters. RTE have a weekly round up from Brussels early on a Saturday, business as usual. I think it is TV - I don't live in Ireland any more so I cannot comment on it.

News out of Brussels can be extensive, even without Brexit. Most MEPs have twitter accounts, and I think all the Commissioners do. This info is not hard to find. I suppose the question I would ask is whether you know what equivalents are available at member state level. A lot of people don't.

In Irish terms, a couple of RTE journalists have done a great job on Brexit. But Brexit aside, media in Ireland is desperate on European coverage, not just of European politics but general events like weather issues or random stuff like (thank you Finland) air guitar championships. I have complex views about this, radio playing European pop music, and general lack of interest.

Parliamentary debates in the UK are on hansard btw and both Dail and UKP debates and committees are live streamed. I had a list of links for all this stuff somewhere for those members where I understand the lingo. I used google to find them. YMMV.

Go away!

Guess where I go if I need more detail?

You had to ask on a site where you were pontificating about wanting to see it collapse. Sad.

Strange kind of effort to back track there Francis. You said that you regularly visit the European commission or parliament sites and keep abreast of the happenings.
    Then when asked about it you link Euro news.
    Two different things. Completely different.

The backtrack is good though. Lol

Calina wrote: »
    I feel the need to answer this a little further.

Both FT and Politico.eu have Brussels focused newsletters. RTE have a weekly round up from Brussels early on a Saturday, business as usual. I think it is TV - I don't live in Ireland any more so I cannot comment on it.

News out of Brussels can be extensive, even without Brexit. Most MEPs have twitter accounts, and I think all the Commissioners do. This info is not hard to find. I suppose the question I would ask is whether you know what equivalents are available at member state level. A lot of people don't.

In Irish terms, a couple of RTE journalists have done a great job on Brexit. But Brexit aside, media in Ireland is desperate on European coverage, not just of European politics but general events like weather issues or random stuff like (thank you Finland) air guitar championships. I have complex views about this, radio playing European pop music, and general lack of interest.

Parliamentary debates in the UK are on hansard btw and both Dail and UKP debates and committees are live streamed. I had a list of links for all this stuff somewhere for those members where I understand the lingo. I used google to find them. YMMV.

Yeh I also have journalists and politicians on my twitter for info.

Not hard in this day and age to stay informed.

• Advertisement

Strange kind of effort to back track there Francis. You said that you regularly visit the European commission or parliament sites and keep abreast of the happenings.
    Then when asked about it you link Euro news.
    Two different things. Completely different.

The backtrack is good though. Lol

That the best you can do Blueshoe? Pathetic.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement