Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Owen Jones, Tony Blair and now footage of the stop Brexit march.

No agenda here from the BBC.

Won't see the like of Farage on anyway

"It's a bloodless coup" Owen Jones.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Blueshoe wrote: »

that gob****e is never off the BBC

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

You have the other side saying bbc is biased for Brexit.

Look up katya Adler if in doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Who has the power to call an election?
    Outside the 5 year fixed term there are two circumstances.

A vote of No confidence or 2/3 of the parliament agree to a PM motion to hold one.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Advertisement

Anyone know how many Irish passports have been handed out to Brits since Brexit was voted for?

Anyone know how many Irish passports have been handed out to Brits since Brexit was voted for?

A million or so in 12 months afaik

• Registered Users Posts: 20,396 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

The elite among the remainers don't want Brexit because it signals an end to cheap labour in many industries.

God I hate the term elite in this context. When people like BJ and Trump are seen as the opposite to the elite, then the term has no real meaning except “ people I don’t agree with”.

But I think you’re right that cheap labour is a factor. This current boom has been a boom built on cheap labour we have really high employment but wages at the bottom haven’t risen to reflect the fact that demand for labour is higher than supply.

Naturally, if supply of labour dried up, the cost of labour would have to rise, cost of production and services would rise and that would upset the system. Most likely leading to recession - since that’s the way things are looking anyway.

But BJ and trump are not, in reality, in favour of raising labour costs. It would make everything more expensive and while it might be good for the working man in the long term. But it would probably spell recession or, to use a phrase from 2007 “a correction” in the economy. And neither one of them would want to head into an election after causing a recession even though it would be good for the working people in the long run. No way, Pedro.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Anyone saying Boris is not going to unite the country obviously did not listen to the opening speech of his priemiership
    Only problem is his speech was designed to appease a doubting public and didn't really contain any substance .
    It was basically wishful thinking and unobtainable promises which pretty much sums Johnson up imo.

A million or so in 12 months afaik

New found love for their Irish heritage surely.

• Advertisement

Convenient eh?

Convenient eh?

Visa free European travel ticket.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,396 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Only problem is his speech was designed to appease a doubting public and didn't really contain any substance .
    It was basically wishful thinking and unobtainable promises which pretty much sums Johnson up imo.

Ah no, that’s harsh. If boris said it in his inaugural address, then we can be fairly sure he’ll do it. Yes-sir-e.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

So get the popcorn in for 6ish as the UK finally stumbles over the inevitable Election line?

Rinse and repeat and we'll do it all over again. :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

1283.jpg
    https://www.theguardian.com/world/2019/jul/16/first-time-applications-irish-passports-up-sharply-since-2015-brexit

• Registered Users Posts: 23,774 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Election looking likely.

giphy.gif

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

When Ian Paisley Jr is recommending Unionists in the north do it that is surely his reasoning :)
    https://www.irishcentral.com/news/politics/ian-paisley-jr-calls-for-northern-irish-unionists-to-apply-for-irish-passports
    In fairness he tends to take a lot of holidays....he might even pay for some of them....

• Registered Users Posts: 33,177 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

giphy.gif
    With the polling numbers labour are getting I think the swagger might be a tad misplaced...

My mistake. It was a million in total with 200,000 coming from the UK/NI

Coveney said at the time that the 230,000 applications represented a 30% increase on the same period last year.
    A record 860,000 Irish passports were issued last year, with about 200,000 coming from the UK, but the number is on course to rise even higher this year.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

Coveney said at the time that the 230,000 applications represented a 30% increase on the same period last year.
    A record 860,000 Irish passports were issued last year, with about 200,000 coming from the UK, but the number is on course to rise even higher this year.
    Its Johnson's 'trojan horse strategy' :)

• Advertisement

RobMc59 wrote: »
    Its Johnson's 'trojan horse strategy' :)

Christ can you imagine
    It’s not colonization. It’s infestation :)

I wonder how many will make the move across the water?

Stick the first few groups in direct provision. Might act as a deterrent.

We can call them Irish integration centres.

Wolfe tones playing on repeat at night.
    Potatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner
    Forced to watch Michael Collins, the Wind that shakes the barley etc
    Exams in Irish

That'll learn em

I wonder how many will make the move across the water?

Stick the first few groups in direct provision. Might act as a deterrent.

We can call them Irish integration centres.

Wolfe tones playing on repeat at night.
    Potatoes for breakfast, lunch and dinner
    Forced to watch Michael Collins, the Wind that shakes the barley etc
    Exams in Irish

That'll learn em

Laughed out loud. Thanks for that. Kind of love that idea.

Make them read even a basic Irish history book

I read this last year when i was looking in to it (but for €1000 I've decided not to rush in to it) https://www.irishexaminer.com/breakingnews/ireland/emotional-ceremonies-see-3000-people-conferred-with-irish-citizenship-887939.html

I get that there were 300 odd British people getting citizenship, but why do almost twice that number of Poles want Irish citizenship? I would have thought they get the same rights as Irish citizens anyway.

Laughed out loud. Thanks for that. Kind of love that idea.

Remember all of the Hollywood heads were saying if trump won they would be moving to Canada. None made the move.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Make 'em read Peig.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

Bannasidhe wrote: »
    Make 'em read Peig.

a monstrous suggestion.

a monstrous suggestion.

It would go some way to redressing the 800 years of it all. That book is a form of torture

• Registered Users Posts: 18,174 ✭✭✭✭VinLieger

Yup thats the BBC constantly giving remainers a voice and ignoring leavers, sure Farage is never let on there......

https://twitter.com/RCorbettMEP/status/1144369238217547776?ref_src=twsrc%5Etfw%7Ctwcamp%5Etweetembed%7Ctwterm%5E1144369238217547776&ref_url=https%3A%2F%2Fwww.thenational.scot%2Fnews%2F17737182.people-are-sharing-this-incredibly-damning-question-time-graphic%2F

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Politics Moderators Posts: 39,933 Mod ✭✭✭✭Seth Brundle

It would go some way to redressing the 800 years of it all. That book is a form of torture
    I didn't think it was that bad! Interesting insight into Irish history!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement