Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

October 14th possible election day if the rebels do their thing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

Tory-Brexit party. Brexit party likely to take votes from Torys and labour. So the Brexit party could pick up a few seats in the north east, Sunderland, Gateshead, Co Durham. And then the Torys Get them back in a coalition. If Brexit goes through, the Brexit party gets subsumed Into the Tory party with a foothold in labour strongholds.

The Brexit party could collapse if the Tories are offering .... Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,396 ✭✭✭✭El_Duderino 09

Johnson is counting on pro-Brexit candidates hitting Labour in the north of England.

Precisely. Labour in big trouble. Could be looking at another 5 years of Tory government. That would make it 14 years. God help the working man in the uk.

Precisely. Labour in big trouble. Could be looking at another 5 years of Tory government. That would make it 14 years. God help the working man in the uk.
    In normal times they might yes but all sorts of permutations and there are a whole lot of unknown variables revolving around this (inevitable) election.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,257 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

The UK gov PM now openly saying they will ignore parliament...going rogue nation?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Are people disregarding the polls?

Haven't seen the polls but would you blame them after the last few?

The UK gov PM now openly saying they will ignore parliament...going rogue nation?

how is he ignoring parliament?

Aegir wrote: »
    how is he ignoring parliament?

'I will not ask for an extension', if parliament instructs him to tomorrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

To be fair I was thinking the same thing :D

https://twitter.com/JuliaHB1/status/1168581303614234630

• Advertisement

'I will not ask for an extension', if parliament instructs him to tomorrow.

no, he’ll call an election instead.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Nice of them to place a microphone near the crowd. Caught the chants perfectly for the first few minutes. Then turned it off and back to the speech. Business as usual.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 4,850 ✭✭✭Stop moaning ffs

They’re absolutely calling an election. This could be a trump campaign given what they’re polling on. Dominic Cummings ladies and gents

https://twitter.com/faisalislam/status/1168587490934054914?s=21

• Closed Accounts Posts: 727 ✭✭✭InTheShadows

No deal absolutely inevitable now.

No deal absolutely inevitable now.
    Nah, still plenty of time for them to cross out other bits of the WA and dress it up as a new idea!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

Aegir wrote: »
    I think we can all agree that Johnson is not a normal PM and in normal times, would be nowhere the top seat.

I don't like the guy and I don't like his methods, but I can see why he is doing it. It could well be that he does unite the country, but in a way he doesn't expect.

Corbyn is so far our of his depth it is unbelievable. He'd make a great Student union leader, but he is nowhere near competent enough to lead the opposition.

Any time I see Corbyn talking in the house or on tv he comes across as a flustered geography teacher who isn’t quite up to the task of managing a bunch of teenagers. He has as much to answer for in this as the brexit party and the erg.

Plenty of hatred for that Irishman in the Twitter comments there. The crassness of his opposition if all they can throw is digs at the man's skin colour and sexuality, while making references to his supposed love for Donald Tusk's backside. The 'wit'.

Varadkar seems to be the big bogeyman of the entire British rightwing now, if the vitriol online and in the British media is anything to go on. It only takes one fired-up, oxygen-challenged goon to act on the hatred that is being stirred. And England, to its undying credit, is currently rediscovering its industrial revolution mojo by producing more of those than anywhere else on the planet.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 7,466 ✭✭✭blinding

Leo is keeping his head too close to something in Brussels !:eek:

MadYaker wrote: »
    Corbyn... has as much to answer for in this as the brexit party and the erg.

Definitely. Corbyn is a singular embodiment of the travesty that is Brexit. There is no way the Brexiteers and their egregious and patently obvious falsehoods could have got this far without the Labour party "leader". It's as if Corbyn, the anarchist, is in reality delighted at the chaos - even if it means that the English working class will be delivered by him right into the hands of the Tory capitalist class and their love of lowering working conditions.

The English working class who support Brexit will thoroughly deserve the unemployment, low-cost labour, inferior standards and food safety that the Brexiteers will bring them. Their choice. I only feel sorry for the English poor who can see Brexit for the rightwing-inspired conjob that it is.

It's an ineffable pity that when the Tory toffs talk about making Britain "competitive" again, it never sinks into the heads of the plebs who support Brexit that it will be their labour costs which will be lowered, not the standard of living of the Johnson/Rees-Moggs/Farage types, who will lobby for low corporation taxes and funnel their wealth out of England. This battening down the hatches for England's Brexit-supporting rich has already started, in fact.

UK's richest man and Brexit supporter, Jim Ratcliffe, is leaving the country and people aren't impressed

Wealthy Brexiteers like James Dyson are jumping ship. Why might that be?

Fund founded by Rees-Mogg sets up post-Brexit vehicle in Dublin

Richest in Britain got €25 billion richer since the Brexit vote

blinding wrote: »
    Leo is keeping his head too close to something in Brussels !:eek:

It's not about Leo anymore binding. They tried but failed, the backstop stays.

It's about the UK, as it always was.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,046 ✭✭✭✭briany

One thing's for sure about Brexit - I'm getting the box set. This season 3 finale alone will make it worth my while.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

is_that_so wrote: »
    Outside the 5 year fixed term there are two circumstances.

A vote of No confidence or 2/3 of the parliament agree to a PM motion to hold one.
    I went with the 10 year fixed term. The interest is slightly higher but I view the extra cost as insurance against rates going too high for comfort.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,223 ✭✭✭✭MadYaker

briany wrote: »
    One thing's for sure about Brexit - I'm getting the box set. This season 3 finale alone will make it worth my while.

And the trump one as well! I think there’s going to be amazing biopics and documentaries in the next few years.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,777 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

Was just about to post that Kermit.

Up til few weeks back this was ‘project fear’

Now it’s reality.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

Was just about to post that Kermit.

Up til few weeks back this was ‘project fear’

Now it’s reality.

Is there a shortage of tuna?.
    Did the UK collapse into anarchy?

Project fear fighting a battle it can't win at this stage. Scraping the bottom of the barrel

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

Top left of each ad;
    prepare for Brexit - HM Government
    Stock pile tune - NO Government

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is there a shortage of tuna?

There’s about to be a shortage of food. A huge shortage of food. Tailbacks at ports in the event of deal or no deal. Worse by a huge degree if no deal. Cos no trade deals with countries to import the food.
    Is it getting through at last? Maybe some ukgov ironically TESCO looking ads might help make people realize.

You know this though.

Definitely. Corbyn is a singular embodiment of the travesty that is Brexit. There is no way the Brexiteers and their egregious and patently obvious falsehoods could have got this far without the Labour party "leader". It's as if Corbyn, the anarchist, is in reality delighted at the chaos - even if it means that the English working class will be delivered by him right into the hands of the Tory capitalist class and their love of lowering working conditions.

You keep saying this, you keep being wrong about this. If a blairite was running labour and had decided to not honour the vote then labour would have seen their vote collapse, just earlier.

Also Corbyn has to deal with a highly hostile media like any left wing Labour Party leader would.

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    Is there a shortage of tuna?.
    Did the UK collapse into anarchy?

Project fear fighting a battle it can't win at this stage. Scraping the bottom of the barrel

Well, you know.

Brexit hasn’t happened yet.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement