Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Danzy wrote: »
    You misread my post.

I said the Eurozone.

The figures still stand and they remain a shocking black mark on the project.
    What figures?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,950 ✭✭✭ChikiChiki

at
    Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Blueshoe wrote: »
    Who said it's his fault?
    He's just a liar in general. Not a nice guy

I thought it was implied by your liar in chief comment.
    I think he's playing a blinder.

Playing a blinder on Brexit. An absolute disaster on almost everything else.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

janfebmar wrote: »
    He is the blue shirt b****** that will put up a hard border in Ireland, as the EU masters tell him to.

A hard border will only come about as a result of what the British do, but don't let that get in the way of your anti Irish incoherent ramblings, lord knows it never has in the past.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Peregrinus wrote: »
    It is the British who are putting up a hard border in Ireland, and don't let your Brexiter masters tell you otherwise.

My masters are Leo and co, that is who I pay my exorbitant taxes to.

The British do not want a border in Ireland (if it was up to them there never would have been one), none of the northern parties want a hard border , so it will be Leo the blue shirt who will go down in history as the blue shirt who erected the hard border in Ireland, on behalf of our masters (those who we pay) the EU.

The British do not want a border in Ireland (if it was up to them there never would have been one), none of the northern parties want a hard border , so it will be Leo the blue shirt who will go down in history as the blue shirt who erected the hard border in Ireland, on behalf of our masters (those who we pay) the EU.

Ireland partitioned itself.

Sweet suffering Jesus.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,548 ✭✭✭Topgear on Dave

You are seriously deluded if you think this isn't the fault of the Tory party and the DUP.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Sure we can have a wink wink nudge nudge border, that doesn't exist anywhere else in the world.

That's your solution eh?
    The cognitive dissonance of brexiters gets more and more moronic.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,512 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

Greetings, visitor from planet Brexitmind! Here on planet Earth, the border was created and imposed by the UK, and consistently maintained by the UK in the face of Irish protests, both peaceful and violent. The border is currently a soft border by virtue of arrangements that apply because of the common membershiop of the UK and Ireland in the European Customs Union and the Single Market. The United Kingdom has unilaterally decided to withdraw from those arrangements, has negotiated but then unilaterally repudiated replacement arrangements, and has refused to put forward any replacement replacement arrangements to avoid a hard border that it would be willing to enter into. A hard border will therefore arise. This is the inexorable result of free and unconstrained choices made by the United Kingdom. Telling us that the UK is not causing this hard border is either a caculated insult to our intelligence, or a woeful reflection on your own.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

Ireland partitioned itself.

Sweet suffering Jesus.

Do you not remember learning in school about the time the fellas took over the GPO and issued the first ever "BUILD THE WALL" proclamation?

The Brits didn't want it to be built, but eventually Paddy won concessions from them and Blighty relented and allowed the country to be partitioned.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,398 ✭✭✭Franz Von Peppercorn II

He is the blue shirt b****** that will put up a hard border in Ireland, as the EU masters tell him to.

No way around that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 69,284 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Greetings, visitor from planet Brexitmind! Here on planet Earth, the border was created and imposed by the UK, and consistently maintained by the UK in the face of Irish protests, both peaceful and violent. The border is currently a soft border by virtue of arrangements that apply because of the common membershiop of the UK and Ireland in the European Customs Union and the Single Market. The United Kingdom has unilaterally decided to withdraw from those arrangements, has negotiated but then unilaterally repudiated replacement arrangements, and has refused to put forward any replacement replacement arrangements to avoid a hard border that it would be willing to enter into. A hard border will therefore arise. This is the inexorable result of free and unconstrained choices made by the United Kingdom. Telling us that the UK is not causing this hard border is either a caculated insult to our intelligence, or a woeful reflection on your own.

Sadly, in the mind of some of our posters, it is always the fault of the Irish.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,694 ✭✭✭✭maccored

hahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahahaha

Lord bless your innocence, what do you imagine they are still producing in Manchester that a supermarket might want to sell?

Lyons tea?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,424 ✭✭✭janfebmar

Do you not remember learning in school about the time the fellas took over the GPO and issued the first ever "BUILD THE WALL" proclamation?

The Brits didn't want it to be built, but eventually Paddy won concessions from them and Blighty relented and allowed the country to be partitioned.

Indeed, there was no border in these islands 120 years ago for example, not even down the Irish sea.

The border originally was a British imposition on the island...it has never gone, it's re-imposition as a 'hard border' will be as a result of something the British decided to do and made no provisions (despite their obligations) for avoiding one on this island.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,572 ✭✭✭swampgas

The border originally was a British imposition on the island...it has never gone, it's re-imposition as a 'hard border' will be as a result of something the British decided to do and made no provisions (despite their obligations) for avoiding one on this island.

I think the ultimate British idea of "no border in Ireland" is the silly old Irish remembering their proper place and rejoining the UK, where we can once again enjoy the same beneficence, generosity and respect as that enjoyed by our forefathers, all the while doffing our caps and tugging furiously at our forelocks.

swampgas wrote: »
      I think the ultimate British idea of "no border in Ireland" is the silly old Irish remembering their proper place and rejoining the UK, where we can once again enjoy the same beneficence, generosity and respect as that enjoyed by our forefathers, all the while doffing our caps and tugging furiously at our forelocks.

And 'infrastructure' don't forget the infrastructure!! :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

swampgas wrote: »

Boris was widely expected to suggest just this - us maintaining a single market with the UK and loosening our connection to the EU - and it is also a view held by some Brits. I've heard anecdotal stuff, taxi-drivers in London going "we're aaht, innit, and then you lot will be next, wontcha?"

There is some absolute scum in here.

And since the poster is seemingly reluctant to provide details, the Eurozone economy, as opposed to the wider EU, seems to be about $13 trillion according to the latest figures. Which would be about 65% of the American economy, not 55%. However, it's a purely arbitrary approach. The EU is an economic bloc, and it's total value is just shy of $19 trillion. And as the Eurozone comprises all the biggest economies - Germany, France, Italy, Benelux, the Nordic countries, as well as us, I think it's a little fanciful to assert that the US is worried about us dragging the world economy down.

That would be the US, with Trump's ludicrous 19th century trade wars sending the world economy into recession.

• Advertisement
    • Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

davedanon wrote: »
      Boris was widely expected to suggest just this - us maintaining a single market with the UK and loosening our connection to the EU - and it is also a view held by some Brits. I've heard anecdotal stuff, taxi-drivers in London going "we're aaht, innit, and then you lot will be next, wontcha?"

Very much this, many are convinced we're just pushing for a pay-out to join with the UK :D

bladespin wrote: »
      Very much this, many are convinced we're just pushing for a pay-out to join with the UK :D

Yeah, and I'm sure many here have heard/read the stories about Irish people working/living in the UK having to explain to their Brit colleagues that Ireland isn't part of the UK, is a completely separate country, and even has a different currency.

Yeah, and I'm sure many here have heard/read the stories about Irish people working/living in the UK having to explain to their Brit colleagues that Ireland isn't part of the UK, is a completely separate country, and even has a different currency.

"Yeah but your only different from the way Scotland and England are different, right" the subsequent response

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

They get confused with Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, that's all. I'm not excusing their ingnorance, btw. But there seems to be some pretty harsh stereotypes going on in this thread. Ordinary Brits don't expect Ireland to come begging - they just haven't considered Ireland at all, and they don't grasp the magnitude of the problem when they do consider Ireland. And Brexiteers haven't grasped the magnitude of Brexit itself, tbh, and that's by far the bigger problem. They've been sold down the river.

They get confused with Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, that's all. I'm not excusing their ingnorance, btw. But there seems to be some pretty harsh stereotypes going on in this thread. Ordinary Brits don't expect Ireland to come begging - they just haven't considered Ireland at all, and they don't grasp the magnitude of the problem when they do consider Ireland.

And that is their problem.
      They know nothing of their own union, where it ends and begins.
      Nothing of the fact that Ireland was IN the bloody Union up to fairly recently and fought a viscous campaign to exit fully. Many of the posters here had grandparents subject to that Union.

It's not that hard to know the component parts of your own country.

People used to get prissy when Irish people used to complain to the BBC about using the Island of Ireland when showing maps of the UK and why we rail against the term "British Isles", this is why we were right to complain and refuse to acknowledge such terms, it's in their cultural psyche that all of Ireland is connected to the UK in some official capacity.

Trumps new slogan is 'brits first'

Based on this thread, I'm surprised it's not "t Brits first".

Wow. Just........wow.....

I've read some ill-informed, one-eyed, partisan nonsense on the whole Brexit fiasco but at least most of it gave the impression that the person saying it believed the guff they were spouting.

Do you honestly hold that opinion? Does it make logical sense in your own head? How is it Leo's fault that the UK wants to leave the room and shutter themselves into the cupboard in the corner?

Wow. Just........wow.....

I've read some ill-informed, one-eyed, partisan nonsense on the whole Brexit fiasco but at least most of it gave the impression that the person saying it believed the guff they were spouting.

Do you honestly hold that opinion? Does it make logical sense in your own head? How is it Leo's fault that the UK wants to leave the room and shutter themselves into the cupboard in the corner?

Think that poster has been quietly banned?

They get confused with Northern Ireland, which is part of the UK, that's all. I'm not excusing their ingnorance, btw. But there seems to be some pretty harsh stereotypes going on in this thread. Ordinary Brits don't expect Ireland to come begging - they just haven't considered Ireland at all, and they don't grasp the magnitude of the problem when they do consider Ireland. And Brexiteers haven't grasped the magnitude of Brexit itself, tbh, and that's by far the bigger problem. They've been sold down the river.

To be fair, I don't think it's that the Brits are ignorant and we Irish are smart and clued-in. I think it's a function of relative size. Bigger countries and their populations think very little about smaller countries. I'd say that there are many of us down south that are pretty ignorant of what goes on in NI, and the way things work up there. I think, the bigger the country/landmass, the more insular the population tends to be. Whereas a smaller country with a bigger neighbour with which it is economically intertwined tends to be more aware of it's internal goings-on. It's self-preservation. Taken on their own and leaving the EU aside altogether, it's a simple statement of fact that we would need the UK far more than they need us.

However, we have the EU, which makes us the senior partner. We get to throw our weight around and 'tell Britain what to do'. Britain's failure to grasp this is only compounding their problems.

Think that poster has been quietly banned?

Banned after they pressed the self destruct button perhaps?

• Advertisement

Banned after they pressed the self destruct button perhaps?

They support Brexit after all.

This discussion has been closed.
    Advertisement