Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

There's also a reference to the British Isles in Pytheas of Massalia's works. But it certainly wasn't common in use and Dee could easily have nicked it and used it to claim ownership of all the islands in the archipelago - I won't disagree there. And I don't want to derail the Brexit thread and will stick to current day terminology.

Your current terminology is absolutely rejected by the Government of Ireland though, and is symptomatic of UK still exerting an ownership

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

I don't have a problem with 'The British Isles' as a geographical term. It's quite ok to use it in that sense. In my opinion.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

seems EU most likely will grant another extension dont imagine it will be short term, but looking from EUs pespective they have nothing to lose at this time as brits made clowns of themsleves to entire EU, so if anything this will show that leaving EU is a masive cluster f.
    Thou in current situation it still takes only single country to vote for them to leave without deal and it would be game over.

What i find most pathetic is watching clowns that are responsible for millions of people act like total idiots, throwing billion numbers here and there, and yet these are people who should make important decisions and are completely incompetent, as sad as it seems but id say its prob common in most countries, as wealthy can always bounce to safe heaven, leaving all the crap on peoples shoulders to carry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

I thought the bumbling, stupid persona he presented to the world was an elaborate act. I thought, honestly, underneath all that he was a shrewd and sharp tactician with a cunning plan in mind.

But nah... so far he's been as ineffectual as Theresa. I'm almost disappointed.

It is an act, 100% he's as shrewd and sharp as you think. There's a British journalist who has a great story about Johnson doing a speech at an event; he was late, had no speech prepared, didn't even know what the event was (has to turn around during his ad libbed speech and read it off the banner) but the crowd loved it. The journalist was so impressed. Then a year or so later they happen to be booked on the same event again and Johnson does rhe exact same thing and and comes up with the exact same random stories. It's a total act but it can only get you so far and you could see it becoming an issue and coming under more scrutiny when he was Foreign Secretary. His problem is that he made a massive mistake on Brexit and no deal, it doesn't matter how shrewd you are because there is no logical or tactical argument to do it, so he's being made to look like an actual buffoon rather than the one he's pretended to be. I'd say he's kicking himself he didn't go with the pro-remain article all those years ago, a real sliding doors moment.

Part of me thinks the should refuse the extension but there's no good reason for it unless it had a good chance of really forcing the UK to change something at the 11th hour, which I don't think is really possible legally.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

after this weeks shenanigans Mike Pence is left looking a right gobsheen

after this weeks shenanigans Mike Pence is left looking a right gobsheen

He's a shïtstain in human form anyway, so that would represent an improvement.

• Registered Users Posts: 434 ✭✭Lady Spangles

Your current terminology is absolutely rejected by the Government of Ireland though, and is symptomatic of UK still exerting an ownership

But Ireland isn't included in the British Isles today though, and I didn't mean to imply that it was. When I use British Isles I mean GB and all the tiny islands that surround it. There's more than just Ireland, you know. Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Alderney, Scilly, Anglesey and so on and so forth. Isle of Man isn't part of the UK, but it's part of the Isles. That sort of thing.

I don't mean to play semantics with you. But this isn't just Ireland v Britain.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

But Ireland isn't included in the British Isles today though..

Tis though.

Yeah, British Isles is a geographical term. It's like a British person taking issue with the Irish Sea.

• Advertisement

bladespin wrote: »
    Tis though.

It's part of the archipelago, but you wouldn't call it a British island.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,358 ✭✭✭bladespin

Ireland is part of the group of Islands called the British Isles, it's not a British Island though, correct on that score.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

I wouldn't. But it is part of the British Isles. Or at least that was what I was taught in school. Though i'm so old I had Padraig Pearse as a teacher so maybe it has changed since.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

downcow wrote: »
    Based on this thread, I'm surprised it's not "t Brits first".

Wow. Just........wow.....

I've read some ill-informed, one-eyed, partisan nonsense on the whole Brexit fiasco but at least most of it gave the impression that the person saying it believed the guff they were spouting.

Do you honestly hold that opinion? Does it make logical sense in your own head? How is it Leo's fault that the UK wants to leave the room and shutter themselves into the cupboard in the corner?

The arrogant non-cooperational position of ROI was inevitably leading to this position.
    Using the GFA as a threat was deceitful
    Refusing to consider options to have checks away from the border etc was bullying.
    Thankfully Leo is now admitting that there is work going on to have checks away from the border.
    Unfortunately we all (UK/ROI/EU) are going to have tpo go through the stress and mess of a no deal for everyone to then sit down and act adult and come up with mutually beneficial arrangements

But sure we all knew this - everyone just burried theirs heads
    The t brits don't like it 'up em'

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

But Ireland isn't included in the British Isles today though, and I didn't mean to imply that it was. When I use British Isles I mean GB and all the tiny islands that surround it. There's more than just Ireland, you know. Isle of Man, Isle of Wight, Alderney, Scilly, Anglesey and so on and so forth. Isle of Man isn't part of the UK, but it's part of the Isles. That sort of thing.

I don't mean to play semantics with you. But this isn't just Ireland v Britain.
    That's a strange post for someone from liverpool imo-to a British person, growing up you are taught the whole bunch of islands is known as the British isles and this is universally recognized except in Ireland.

I wouldn't. But it is part of the British Isles. Or at least that was what I was taught in school. Though i'm so old I had Padraig Pearse as a teacher so maybe it has changed since.

In the 1980s a load of atlas books were returned by the dept for making reference to Ireland being part of it.
    The Irish government has formally stated that it does not recognise the term. It's only a geographical term specifically because Britain wanted to use it as a propaganda for imperial actions

• Registered Users Posts: 40,470 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

In the 1980s a load of atlas books were returned by the dept for making reference to Ireland being part of it.
    The Irish government has formally stated that it does not recognise the term. It's only a geographical term specifically because Britain wanted to use it as a propaganda for imperial actions

a load of fuss over nothing.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

If your identity is threatened by something that trivial, you'd need to work on your identity.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

downcow wrote: »
    Unfortunately we all (UK/ROI/EU) are going to have tpo go through the stress and mess of a no deal for everyone to then sit down and act adult and come up with mutually beneficial arrangements

No. If Britain crashes out it will have to come back to the table and the first three things it will be told is:

1. Pay your bill.
    2. Provide guarantees on no border in Ireland.
    3. Guarantee EU citizens rights.

Then we'll talk about a trade.

RobMc59 wrote: »
    That's a strange post for someone from liverpool imo-to a British person, growing up you are taught the whole bunch of islands is known as the British isles and this is universally recognized except in Ireland.

No, it was Cork Exile who said this was recognised except in Ireland. I just said I wouldn't include it and I didn't think anyone else would (but I was wrong, apparently). Growing up I have no memory at all of being taught about the British Isles as a geographical term to encapsulate a whole bunch of islands.

Back on to Brexit, the Lords have now approved the bill to block a no deal Brexit.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

Boris Johnson, who so many believed was the White Knight to lead Britain out of the EU, has now become the most ineffective, cuckolded PM in history.

Can't get a bill passed.
    Can't call an election.
    Forced to lead a minority government with no power.
    The one item on his manifesto is impossible now, unless, God forbid, the EU just get sick of all the inaction and kick the UK out on Oct. 31st.

Yes, let's forget about what does or does not constitute the British Isles and concentrate on pointing and laughing at the Boris Brexit clowncar shîtshow.

• Site Banned Posts: 725 ✭✭✭Balanadan

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

aka. some skank speaks to a politician. Actually, it looks dubbed

• Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

aka. some skank speaks to a politician. Actually, it looks dubbed

Why is he a skank?
    He's a member of the public who Boris represents.

Better taking him to task on his ineffective policy than throwing milkshakes.

Padre_Pio wrote: »
    Can't get a bill passed.

He's weeks into his premiership, give him a bloody chance, these are very unique times.
    Can't call an election.

Eh, he called an election. The pussies who will definitely loose said election are stopping it, for the first time in history by the way

Eh, no, he was not forced to lead a minority government, he took the whip away from those traitors by choice.
    The one item on his manifesto is impossible now

Nope, wrong again. There are a number of avenues that he can still go down. It is harder but far from impossible. Did you think the remoaners would make it easy for him to carry out his mandate?

Why is he a skank?
    He's a member of the public who Boris represents.

Better taking him to task on his ineffective policy than throwing milkshakes.

Yeah skank was the wrong choice of word, maybe old fart is more appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 373 ✭✭careless sherpa

Boris Johnson, who so many believed was the White Knight to lead Britain out of the EU, has now become the most ineffective, cuckolded PM in history.

Can't get a bill passed.
    Can't call an election.
    The one item on his manifesto is impossible now, unless, God forbid, the EU just get sick of all the inaction and kick the UK out on Oct. 31st.

The headline in a Scottish paper read 'floppy Borris can't get an election' humiliating stuff

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I don't think things will end well for BoJo, Cummings and JRM, I would actually fear for their safety if things keep going downhill for them at the rapid speed it is now.

I never thought I'd see the day when the once so mighty British governments leaders became so openly despised by the public, reduced to essentially slagging the opposition and trying to troll them into having an election.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

• Advertisement

I don't think things will end well for BoJo, Cummings and JRM, I would actually fear for their safety if things keep going downhill for them at the rapid speed it is now.

I never thought I'd see the day when the once so mighty British governments leaders became so openly despised by the public, reduced to essentially slagging the opposition and trying to troll them into having an election.

Oh how the mighty have fallen.

And all over nonsense. The bluster doesn't match what is simply a trade and political union.

People are willing to die on their swords over shlt they can't even articulate. It's just bizarre. Is the country in crisis? No. Do citizens really understand or care truly about what's at stake?

You'd expect this "die in a ditch" talk from a country facing annexation. It's just so stupid.

What a shlte hill to die on.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement