Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,964 ✭✭✭Blueshoe

It is for now. But governments are not bound by the decisions of previous parliaments. Meaning if there is a general election and the conservatives/Brexit party win, they can leave with no deal and it is perfectly legal. That is what is going to happen, I cannot wait to gloat here when it does :D:D

Il help

• Registered Users Posts: 19,419 ✭✭✭✭road_high

It is for now. But governments are not bound by the decisions of previous parliaments. Meaning if there is a general election and the conservatives/Brexit party win, they can leave with no deal and it is perfectly legal. That is what is going to happen, I cannot wait to gloat here when it does :D:D

Pretty much sums up the Brexit cult mentality - one up manship and gloating childish antics have long replaced any morsel of sense or intelligence there may have been at one stage

• Registered Users Posts: 15,972 ✭✭✭✭Spanish Eyes

There will not be a No Deal Brexit now.

Everyone knows it, Parliament won't support it either, nor will they support an election on Johnson's terms either.

They have had 3.5 years near enough to get their act together, but nothing has happened.

Perhaps they thought their so called superiority would win out. Didn't happen.

Idiots.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

It is for now. But governments are not bound by the decisions of previous parliaments. Meaning if there is a general election and the conservatives/Brexit party win, they can leave with no deal and it is perfectly legal. That is what is going to happen, I cannot wait to gloat here when it does

You have an interesting way of gloating. No deal represents the ultimate failure and humiliation of the brexit project and those who promoted it.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,218 ✭✭✭✭Bannasidhe

Once the Queen signs it then it not a "decision by a previous parliament" - it is the law.
    It's absolute nonsense to state a parliament can ignore laws brought in by a previous government. If they don't like it they need to repeal it - which requires parliament to agree.

• Advertisement

RobMc59 wrote: »
    I have worked for a number of pharmaceutical companies which manufactured intermediates(lipitor,crestor and HIV inhibitors amongst others) for various companies based in Europe , in the event of a no deal brexit this would probably mean those companies would`nt be licensed by the EU,which would mean they can`t produce for the European market-that means job loses-how is that taking back control?

Cork could hoover up the UK's rather small manufacturing base

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

I think you will find thats incorrect. They will have to revoke the bill first.. but essentially yes, if following a general election there is a majority in Parliament in favour of a no deal Brexit then they could do so..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,159 ✭✭✭declanflynn

But no deal is off the table, meaning Boris has to either ask for the extension, resign or break the law by ignoring parliament.

What do you think he is going to do - if asking for the extension isn't it?

Think the Tories backed the wrong horse chief.

I hope he go but I'm not as confident as you are, it's going to be great for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

You`re probably right although as I remember it,astra zeneca had phizer on the run with their crestor statin,better than lipitor apparently..

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

I think you may need a refresher on how easily any govt can just disregard laws passed by previous govts tbh. Are you even old enough to be posting here unaccompanied?

While we're at it, why will you be gloating here on an Irish website about your own demise lol?

• Advertisement

I have worked for a number of pharmaceutical companies which manufactured intermediates(lipitor,crestor and HIV inhibitors amongst others) for various companies based in Europe , in the event of a no deal brexit this would probably mean those companies would`nt be licensed by the EU,which would mean they can`t produce for the European market-that means job loses-how is that taking back control?

They t brits don't make anything except pork pies

• Registered Users Posts: 69,296 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Johnson won't go back near No Deal if he gets in. Imagine losing it in parliament again...and with a Tory majority. :):)

He's been humiliated as have the No Deal zealots, they'll bluster for a while yet, but they aren't touching that one again.

Can you explain other the claims of back ups at dover what the EU plans to do to stop UK people getting such drugs.

EU wouldn't last a week if they tried such as stroke, deal or no deal

What stunt ?

If the UK wants a hard Brexit then it is out of the customs union and single market. It has no trade agreements and has to undergo customs similar to goods people crossing any other EU border.

The forecasts of delays at Dover are by the UK government not the EU..

The UK are responsible not the EU.

What did you think was going to happen ? UK could leave the customs union and single market and be outside but its exports would not have to go through customs ???

You do realise that all the FTA agreements that the UK currently uses to trade with the US, Canada, Asia etc are all EU trade deals.. Once outside the EU the UK can no longer use these agreements ?

No one in the EU is talking about blocking ports or stopping anything from entering the UK but the UK system is tied in very very deeply with the EU. On a hard Brexit all those ties, channels etc will be closed to the UK, it will need to have its own import agreements, its own licensing systems in place. The UK have had 3 years to put these arrangements in place if they have not then its the UK's fault. Not the EU's fault.

You are also HUGELY over rating the UK's power in this situation. The EU is a tiny market in comparison to the EU. Its the weaker player here..

janfebmar wrote: »
    My masters are Leo and co, that is who I pay my exorbitant taxes to.

The British do not want a border in Ireland (if it was up to them there never would have been one), none of the northern parties want a hard border , so it will be Leo the blue shirt who will go down in history as the blue shirt who erected the hard border in Ireland, on behalf of our masters (those who we pay) the EU.

Seriously ?? Are you that naive and swallowing Brexiterr bull****.

If Ireland wants to be part of the EU it has to play its part and protect its borders.

Do you really think the UK voted leave to prevent free movement etc and would happily leave the border in Northern Ireland open ?? Every refugee in Calais or EU citizen who wants to enter the UK would come to the Republic and get the bloody bus up to Belfast and then Ferry across.

Boris saying he wont put in a border is nonsense. The UK will want to protect its border as much as the EU wants.

Who or what are the "t brits"

The UK still has a sizeable manufacturing sector, far large than many posters appear to realise, particularly automotive and machinery..

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

knipex wrote:
    You are also HUGELY over rating the UK's power in this situation. The EU is a tiny market in comparison to the EU. Its the weaker player here..

I think you mean the UK is a tiny market. No, it isn't tiny and reduced access will be a blow to companies selling there.

But I listened to the head of the German Industry Federation today and he was unequivocal about how much more important they see the Single Market.

He said German industry is 100% behind the EU's and German government's position on the WA, including unwavering support for the backstop.

He also described some of the EU wide technology initiatives such as 5G Cloud storage to allow industry share and swap data to keep Europe competitive. Fascinating stuff that the UK will be excluded from.

knipex wrote: »

The UK still has a sizeable manufacturing sector, far large than many posters appear to realise, particularly automotive and machinery..
    yeah yeah when are ye leaving

Perhaps he is from Yorkshire?That`s how they speak..

Perhaps he is from Yorkshire?That`s how they speak..
    No , I'm Irish mate

No , I'm Irish mate

Irish people don't say "mate" . More of a British or Australian thing. I'd agree with that guess that you a Yorkshire native.

Bradford city fan?

• Advertisement

Blueshoe wrote: »
    No , I'm Irish mate

Irish people don't say "mate" . More of a British or Australian thing. I'd agree with that guess that you a Yorkshire native.

Bradford city fan?
    No im a Tipperary fan

No im a Tipperary fan

Sure you are "mate".

No im a Tipperary fan

Sure you are "mate".
    Sure am old chap

Sure am old chap

You`ve probably got a bulldog tattoo on your arm.

Sure am old chap

You`ve probably got a bulldog tattoo on your arm.
    No tattoos mate

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Bradford city fan?

Yes, they do. But not nearly as much as they say "guys" rather than "lads", or "I guess" instead of "I suppose". Globalisation, compadre.

Everyone knows it, Parliament won't support it either, nor will they support an election on Johnson's terms either.

They have had 3.5 years near enough to get their act together, but nothing has happened.

Idiots.

Ian Blackford just on the news saying parliament will decide when there will be a general election-not johnson.It looks like he`s really up sh*t creek without a paddle.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Idiots.

The problem is that there doesn't seem to be a non-crash out deal that can find a majority in parliament.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

EDzxLV1XYAYsAya?format=jpg&name=large

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Ian Blackford just on the news saying parliament will decide when there will be a general election-not johnson.It looks like he`s really up sh*t creek without a paddle.

The chicken stuff they've resorted to says it all tbh, this is all I can think off everytime I see or hear anything about Johnson referring to Jezza as a chicken.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement