Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 40,236 ✭✭✭✭Boggles

To me, democracy was killed and I became an advocate of smaller and smaller government.

So you became an advocate for less democracy and accountability?

Seems legit.

:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

davedanon wrote: »
    This is hilarious. The Tory government commissions a report, and yet you still maintain it's proaganda. Up is down, black is white. Doublespeak.

So you haven't read it, grand.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    If we create a smaller and smaller government, or more correctly termed, less powerful, what is the likely outcome for democracy as a whole?

Very simply, the more layers of government you have, the less accountable those at the top are and the less they care about the common people. An Irish government not under the thumb of the EU would be better for Ireland

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Its funny how people who claim the Brits were lied to for a leave vote are the same people who are throwing around yellow hammer like it is gospel. It is clearly a propaganda piece. Yes I know it was made by the government, but has anyone looked into who actually produced it?

Brilliant.

Boggles wrote: »
    So you became an advocate for less democracy and accountability?

Seems legit.

:)

How does having a small government equate to less democracy?

• Advertisement

Its funny how people who claim the Brits were lied to for a leave vote are the same people who are throwing around yellow hammer like it is gospel. It is clearly a propaganda piece. Yes I know it was made by the government, but has anyone looked into who actually produced it?

Absolute cuckoo land. A leaked government paper detailing realistic effects of that government's current strategy is "propaganda".

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Are there any people on here banging on about Yellowhammer, and equating it to the fraudulent Leave campaign somehow?

There aren't, are there. Typical deflection, though.

Absolute cuckoo land. A leaked government paper detailing realistic effects of that government's current strategy is "propaganda".

From someone who claims to be living here but can't wait for Brexit to happen so they can move back home. What's keeping them from moving now?

Brilliant.

It was produced by civil servants. Basically, uneducated people. Dont get me started on the doctor who signed it off, his claims have been debunked and he made a laughing stock of himself this week

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

We are truly through the looking glass now.

Yellow hammer is a piece of government propaganda.

This would be the same propaganda that was commissioned by the Tories, comilpiled by independent experts, and when completed, and the stark harsh realities of just how devastating a no deal brexit would actually be on the UK, the same Tory Govt refused to release it, and when leaked - have tried to play down, and shout inaccuracies about it because it doesn't suit the narratives.

These brief insights into the minds of brexiteers and the little Englanders are fascinating - no wonder the UK is couped on its side.

• Advertisement

DubInMeath wrote: »
    From someone who claims to be living here but can't wait for Brexit to happen so they can move back home. What's keeping them from moving now?

I'm not sure if your talking about me but I am 100% genetically Irish, born in the Rotunda and I live and work in Dublin all my life with no intention of moving to the UK.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

How does having a small government equate to less democracy?

how does a smaller, potentially less powerful government, equate to a more democratic one?

We are truly through the looking glass now.

Yellow hammer is a piece of government propaganda.

This would be the same propaganda that was commissioned by the Tories, comilpiled by independent experts, and when completed, and the stark harsh realities of just how devastating a no deal brexit would actually be on the UK, the same Tory Govt refused to release it, and when leaked - have tried to play down, and shout inaccuracies about it because it doesn't suit the narratives.

These brief insights into the minds of brexiteers and the little Englanders are fascinating - no wonder the UK is couped on its side.

Have you read it? Obviously not! An example of how retarded it is would be the claim that the UK would run out of fuel. This is despite the fact the the UK does not buy ANY fuel from the EU. The claims about medicine and food shortages are equally stupid. Can you name one person who signed off on the document other than "Doctor Nick"? Do civil servants represent senior government? The government have publicly stated that there will be "bumps on the road". There is no denying that

how does a smaller, potentially less powerful government, equate to a more democratic one?

Ive just said why, so I will not go around in circles

• Registered Users Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Ive just said why, so I will not go around in circles

im gonna go with my opinion on it to be honest, you re effectively talking about de-powering political systems, so that alternative forces, such as plutocratic forces, take control of critical elements of society, which in turn, turn your economy into rent seeking and wealth extractive as a whole

DubInMeath wrote: »

Oct 31st cannot come soon enough for the epic giggles. Also, a nice chunk taken out of the EU's armor. The UK will be fine then Italy next... I read somewhere that the UK leaving is in economic terms equivalent to 27 small nations leaving. No wonder Verhofftwat and co (such as yourselves) are sh1ting themselves, this is priceless!

im gonna go with my opinion on it to be honest, you re effectively talking about de-powering political systems, so that alternative forces, such as plutocratic forces, take control of critical elements of society, which in turn, turn your economy into rent seeking and wealth extractive as a whole

I have no idea what that post means, sorry. Could you word it differently?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

I have no idea what that post means, sorry. Could you word it differently?

If you are in Dublin, pop into Hodges Figgis and ask them for a first year text book on Political Science. It'll all be there.

But be warned; books are usually written by "experts" who know what they are talking about and we know what you think of them.

Oct 31st cannot come soon enough for the epic giggles. Also, a nice chunk taken out of the EU's armor. The UK will be fine then Italy next... I read somewhere that the UK leaving is in economic terms equivalent to 27 small nations leaving. No wonder Verhofftwat and co (such as yourselves) are sh1ting themselves, this is priceless!

To be honest, I think you're delusional. Actually, I'm forming a definite picture. Apparently you are '100% genetically Irish', which is a very odd way of putting it. It's obviously important to your sense of identity that you are '100% genetically Irish'. So I hate to break it to you, dude, but it's highly unlikely you are anything other than a mongrel, like all the rest of us. You are not of pure race, my friend, much though you wish to be.

You are a bigot, though. That we've established.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,219 ✭✭✭Calina

Brilliant.

It was produced by civil servants. Basically, uneducated people. Dont get me started on the doctor who signed it off, his claims have been debunked and he made a laughing stock of himself this week

I think citations are required for this. The CMO wrote a complaint to Rees Mogg about his comments but I havent seen a debunking of David Nicholls' position. Also, when did you do Fast Track for UK civil service? I ask because I recall university degrees being a minimum requirement for a lot of UKCS entry.

• Advertisement

I'm not sure if your talking about me but I am 100% genetically Irish, born in the Rotunda and I live and work in Dublin all my life with no intention of moving to the UK.

And so what? All this tells me is you have a highly insular and limited experience of the world.

19 smallest I think you will find, not 27. 27 is what was left after the UK runs away.

Also, you are getting another report for this one. Guy Verhofstadt is one hell of a political operator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,992 ✭✭✭✭recedite

I am 100% genetically Irish, born in the Rotunda
    Its a miracle!

Just remembered this. Civil servants are 'uneducated people', apparently. Also please provide proof of this 'debunking', and don't give us JRM comparing him to Wakefield. I think he is highly respected, and I didn't see him making himself a laughing stock. Perhaps you'd provide some proof there as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

recedite wrote: »
    The shafting will start off gently, with plenty of lube.
    Bend over Leo, and try not to enjoy it.
    https://www.rte.ie/news/2019/0906/1074298-eu-border-checks/

If Ireland was not in the EU in this Brexit mess but we had a trade deal with them meaning there were no checks on the border. In this hypothetical situation let's say the UK left the EU with no deal, unless they'd negotiated a separate trade deal with us before crashing out there would have to be increased checks. It's basic international law and common sense. The EU isn't making us do anything.

Can I ask people to desist with the homophobic crap re: Leo Varadkar. It's ignorant, crude, unfunny and offensive. I've reported each one. Give it over, for chrissakes. I have a gay son, and I'm fûcked off with this ****, quite frankly.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    If Ireland was not in the EU in this Brexit mess but we had a trade deal with them meaning there were no checks on the border. In this hypothetical situation let's say the UK left the EU with no deal, unless they'd negotiated a separate trade deal with us before crashing out there would have to be increased checks. It's basic international law and common sense. The EU isn't making us do anything.
    In your hypothetical, Ireland is somehow in the EU single market, but outside the EU. So lets say we were like Norway.
    Not being in the EU we would have been allowed to negotiate a free trade deal directly with the UK, instead of standing idly by on the sidelines watching the clown Barnier trying to do it, as we have done over the last 3 years.

DUP pledge to keep the border open, when Leo tries to impose the hard border.
    DUP leader Arlene Foster has said there will be no infrastructure at the Irish border after Brexit.
    She was speaking after Taoiseach Leo Varadkar warned that in the event of a no-deal Brexit there will be checks on goods and live animals, which he said would take place “as far as possible” in ports, airports and at businesses.
    https://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/there-will-be-no-infrastructure-at-border-after-brexit-arlene-foster-948829.html

The UK left cos it wanted to control its borders. It has one land border. Which it is screaming it won't control.

This is psychotic.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

recedite wrote: »
    In your hypothetical, Ireland is somehow in the EU single market, but outside the EU. So lets say we were like Norway.
    Not being in the EU we would have been allowed to negotiate a free trade deal directly with the UK, instead of standing idly by on the sidelines watching the clown Barnier trying to do it, as we have done over the last 3 years.

Have an oul' read of this if you are a proponent of the "Norway option"
    https://blogs.lse.ac.uk/brexit/2017/11/20/youll-hate-it-why-the-norway-option-amounts-to-self-inflicted-subservience-to-the-eu/

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement