Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,799 ✭✭✭✭pjohnson

I've never read anything so stupid in all my life.

Well done you.

Its shows what happens when you dont get weaned of of BoJo and JRM's teats. You overdose on their rubbish and loose any concept of reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Sonny678 wrote: »
    The Brits voted the greatest Britons of all time in 2002. Churchill was voted number 1 greatest British person of all time. Churchill in Britian is the same as what Lincoln in USA. Yes on the left there are a few critics of Churchill, but World War 2 is the single most talked about , celebrated and important event in British history. Churchill is seen as some sort of embodiment of British bulldog spirit. No one and I mean no politician or public figure is put up on a pedestal as Churchill. Shakespeare, The Beatles , England winning the World cup are all honoured in Britain, but beating Hitler in World War 2 is so much part of British identity. And Brexit actually is rooted in World War 2 nostalgia. They still think there fighting the Germans in World War 2. Its a country obsessed with with its past. Its never going to rule the world again , never probaly produce a Beatles or a Shakespeare again. Its best days are behind it. Its all about the past for the Brits. And like a person thinking and talking and living in the past it is all counter productive. Its a a sad state of affairs. Most Brits u meet are normal sound people. But their media , politicans and education system have sold them a pup. It really is a country having a mini nervous breakdown. But Churchill and World War 2 has a big role in this Brexit experiment. He is seen as the Daddy of Brexit , even though Churchill was very pro European cooperation and one of few people who was pushing an early idea of European union. If Churchill was around today he would have been a remainer. But again Brexit is based on lies and distortion of facts and fabrications.
    Brexit is backward , inward, conservative , nationalistic, jingoistic ,narrow minded and hyped up and all wrapped up in union jack. Its British jingoism on steriods. Terrible pity as its ordinary people not the media or Tories who will suffer.

Anyway here r
    The top ten Britons of all Time voted by the Brits
    10 Oliver Cromwell
    9 Admiral Nelson
    8 John Lennon
    7 Elizabeth 1st
    6 Isac Newton
    5 William Shakespeare
    4 Charles Darwin
    3 Prince Diana
    2 Brunel
    1 Winston Churchill

Pretending Brexit is rooted in WW2 or Empire is part of the reason, Remain lost, despite having nearly everyone who was anyone in politics, business and society backing them.

Presumption is a blinding thing.

• Registered Users Posts: 32,136 ✭✭✭✭is_that_so

Because it is undemocratic.
    Parliament were honour bound to implement the result but not under any legal obligation to do so. Not doing so would have been electorally hugely damaging to a government.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Danzy wrote:
    Pretending Brexit is rooted in WW2 or Empire is part of the reason, Remain lost, despite having nearly everyone who was anyone in politics, business and society backing them.

Danzy wrote:

But World War 2 is a massive part of British identity. To say not is just factually wrong. Look at the list of greatest brits ever who wins World War 2 Prime minister Churchill. If u have ever lived in Britian u will see World war 2 there is an obsession with World War 2. Its understandable it was global event which Britian was central to. But if you keep looking back even a person who keeps looking back its counterproductive. Britians best days is behind it. England should go it alone. England on its own could re imagine itself and find a place in the world. But Uk. The UK RIP. Its over. Brexit is the dying kick of Great Britain. It had a good run. But Scotland will leave sometime in next 20 or 30 years and maybe very soon. And Northern Ireland also will be gone in our lifetime. Wales will stay. But United Kingdom is finished. And brexit is the reason Uk will come apart..Brexit is not Scottish or Northern Irish it is not london or Manchester. It is England. England of old Industrial north and midlands and south east. Brexit is an English phenomenon. So English separate state is the best for all. And the only way England will flourish again.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,091 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Danzy wrote:

So World War 2 means nothing to the Brits. Name an event more talked about celebrated ate important to the Brits then World War 2 ?..Name one event just one.

Name one event that is more connected to British identity then World War 2? Name one event .

World war 2 is the single most important event in British history. Name one other event more important then WW2 Brits.

What were doing in World war 2..At war with Germany. Don't tell me this extraordinary event in British history has no impact what is going on in Brexit. Its not credible to say that.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Sonny678 wrote:
    What were doing in World war 2..At war with Germany. Don't tell me this extraordinary event in British history has no impact what is going on in Brexit. Its not credible to say that.

It has everything to do with Brexit. That is obvious.

The sad bit is that while the UK wallows in the nostalgia of it all, the other parties to the conflict (including countries occupied and abused) have moved on and now enjoy the fruits of cooperation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Danzy wrote: »

This may be the stupidest statement I've read in a very long time, and I've been glued to political goings-on since Trump was elected.

You have it exactly, totally, about-face, 100% WRONG. Brexit is rooted in WW2 and loss of empire, and remain losing has nothing to do with any of it. You are wronger than a wrong thing named Wrongy McWrongface, to utilise a popular Anglo-Saxon comedy trope.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

Sonny678 wrote: »
    So World War 2 means nothing to the Brits. Name an event more talked about celebrated ate important to the Brits then World War 2 ?..Name one event just one.

Name one event that is more connected to British identity then World War 2? Name one event .

World war 2 is the single most important event in British history. Name one other event more important then WW2 Brits.

21 years later, winning the world cup. :D

Getting bailed out by the IMF 10 years later again?

They seem to have managed to wipe that one from their collective consciousness though, to be fair, so we'll go with beating the World Power of Argentina

• Registered Users Posts: 2,018 ✭✭✭knipex

You are wrong. In the UK there is what is called "parliamentary sovereignty". Meaning that any government formed after a general election can disregard laws made by the previous parliament. A new government would not be "bound" by the previous parliament. Look it up, I am right and you are wrong.

So any law made by the Cameron Government or the previous labor government can now be ignored ??

An MP caught speeding cannot be prosecuted ? What about if they commit murder ?

Any trade agreement signed by a government is that also invalid after the next election ???

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,227 ✭✭✭Padre_Pio

You are wrong. In the UK there is what is called "parliamentary sovereignty". Meaning that any government formed after a general election can disregard laws made by the previous parliament. A new government would not be "bound" by the previous parliament. Look it up, I am right and you are wrong.

The bolded piece is right, but you're mistaken.

A parliament can make or unmake any law they want, even the laws of the predecessors.
    They cannot "disregard" laws and pretend they don't exist. They need to repeal these laws.

For instance, they can repeal any trade deal or treaty they want, but they must be aware there are plenty of consequences to their actions and parliaments rarely act rashly.

There are instances however where successor parliaments are bound by their predecessors and cannot repeal a particular law.
    https://www.parliament.uk/about/how/role/sovereignty/

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

'Leaked WhatsApps Reveal Some Tory MPs Are Urging Boris Johnson To Break The Law To Deliver Brexit'

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alexwickham/tory-mps-urge-boris-johnson-break-law?__twitter_impression=true

I suppose the Justice Secretary doesn't know what he's talking about when he says "For anyone who has any doubt, this Government, like its predecessors, observes the rule of law at all times and for all seasons."

• Registered Users Posts: 43,028 ✭✭✭✭SEPT 23 1989

Leo having a wander around Dinnys warehouse down on the docks

Leo having a wander around Dinnys warehouse down on the docks

?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

davedanon wrote: »
    ?

I assume they're implying that Dennis O'Brien has some warehousing facilities in and around the docks that might be used for customs checks etc in a no deal scenario.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

That's not the EU's fault.
    it's only the t brits that are stopping britian from leaving, everyone else can't wait for them to go

Okay Declan, now you're just annoying everyone with your t brits. :rolleyes:

pinkyeye wrote: »
    Okay Declan, now you're just annoying everyone with your t brits. :rolleyes:

To be honest, it doesn't bother me. I just assume illiteracy. There's plenty of it around here anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

WWII was the last big "win" they had internationaly. After that its a series of defeats, retreats and realising who the new master of the globe is (The US, via the Suez disaster), so yes, WWII has great emotional significance to an element within british society.

I assume they're implying that Dennis O'Brien has some warehousing facilities in and around the docks that might be used for customs checks etc in a no deal scenario.

Well, Dennis is who really runs the country, of course. Him and Soros.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

To be honest, it doesn't bother me. I just assume illiteracy. There's plenty of it around here anyway.

Same here, as an English man i find it hilarious that he feels the need to add the idiotic t as if it bothers people, kids these days hey, so cool, so edgy :pac:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 25,604 ✭✭✭✭Timberrrrrrrr

Well, Dennis is who really runs the country, of course. Him and Soros.

And the idiotic posts get more idiotic :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

I've never read anything so stupid in all my life.

Well done you.

Eh, you are completely wrong but I dont think your stupid.

FunLover18 wrote: »
    'Leaked WhatsApps Reveal Some Tory MPs Are Urging Boris Johnson To Break The Law To Deliver Brexit'

https://www.buzzfeed.com/amphtml/alexwickham/tory-mps-urge-boris-johnson-break-law?__twitter_impression=true

I suppose the Justice Secretary doesn't know what he's talking about when he says "For anyone who has any doubt, this Government, like its predecessors, observes the rule of law at all times and for all seasons."

Lol buzzfeed

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Allinall

Eh, you are completely wrong but I dont think your stupid.

They’re not wrong.

Odhinn wrote: »
    WWII was the last big "win" they had internationaly. After that its a series of defeats, retreats and realising who the new master of the globe is (The US, via the Suez disaster), so yes, WWII has great emotional significance to an element within british society.

It could be that, or it could be the fact the there are a lot of people in the UK who still remember the thousands of loved ones that were killed or injured and recognize the fact that for a large number of people, it is still in living memory.

Or the descendants of the 80,000 Jewish refugees that came to the UK still think it is a good idea to remember why they ended up there?

But yeah it could be some **** about nostalgia I guess.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

490189.png

Allinall wrote: »
    They’re not wrong.

Citations please. Many many times new governments have done what I am saying. Tony Blair was the last one

Citations please. Many many times new governments have done what I am saying. Tony Blair was the last one

You mean 'disregarding old laws'? You know it doesn't work that way, right? It was explained to you earlier. The laws have to be repealed. A vote is involved...it's a democratic process, not a fascistic/totalitarian one, such as you describe.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Allinall

You made the claim.

What exactly did Tony Blair do?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Boris masterplan is starting to show. Papers explaining how he plans to avoid the extension request.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement