Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

Number 1 is not subject to anything.

Granted it is no more enforceable than any other sovereign obligation, but a default will have disastrous consequences for the UK. (Plenty of contracts and obligations would have cross-default provisions....which means that if the UK is deemed to default it will trigger a lot of chaos in their debt markets). If you want to know what a sovereign default can do to a country, have a read up on what happened to Argentina

This is very different and very transparent.

gmisk wrote: »
    That is just not true they might have said there will be no hard border...but they have said a lot of things....they also seem to have no clue how to do it other than "technology" which doesn't exist, 3 is in no way sorted there have been mentioned that existing EU citizens will be able to stay work etc only...and again there are no guarantees...it's all very wishy washy from the conservatives

If they can fill out a form they can stay. Link me anything that says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

They won't win, jeysus.

People will vote Tory in Tory safe seats and vote for someone who has a chance of being in an actual government. This isn't Ireland with an mix of meaningless independents.
    Let's see shall we.
    Hammond has a majority of 18k plus for example.
    You mean the meaningless independents that have 2 ministry positions currently in Ireland?

gmisk wrote: »
    Let's see shall we.
    Hammond has a majority of 18k plus for example.
    You mean the meaningless independents that have 2 ministry positions currently in Ireland?

Yeah, and where do you expect them positions to arise in a new tory government. You need to stop the desperate straw clutching.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

This is very different and very transparent.

Yeah.......................you just don't understand how these things work. Fair enough.

• Advertisement

I'm surprised his plan is slightly more sophisticated than to go to the EU and ask "Give us an extension Macron and Barnier ya garlic eating froggy c**ts" in the hope that they tell him to f-off

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

That implies that Brexiters wouldn't get anything unless they do an agreement with Tories where Brexit candidates don't run against Tory candidates in return for Tory candidates not running against them in some Labour-held constituencies.

Farage and Johnson have discussed something along those lines

Farage and Johnson have discussed something along those lines

But it doesn't in itself imply to me that the Brexit party is expected to do well on it's own merits. It only implies to me that they are threatening to act as a spoiler to the Tories unless the Tories step aside and gift it a free run at some other seats.

davedanon wrote: »
    The Telegraph......

titter

One of many, but hey, you've been getting this all wrong a while so why change tact now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

One of many, but hey, you've been getting this all wrong a while so why change tact now

Ehhh, I was commenting on a post way back upthread, and hadn't quoted it, so it seemed a bit irrelevant.

One of many what?

And it's change 'tack', Biff.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Oh yeah, it was this, in the Torygraph:

https://www.telegraph.co.uk/politics/2019/09/08/boris-johnson-draws-plan-legally-stop-brexit-extension-mps-vote/

What a laughable bunch of deluded old bluffers they are.

Contrary to what your reading in the papers and watching on BBC/Sky news, the British people want to leave

3 years ago 51% of British people voted to leave. Thats too tight a margin to be saying British people want to leave.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,793 ✭✭✭FunLover18

3 years ago 51% of British people voted to leave. Thats too tight a margin to be saying British people want to leave.

Farage said himself if Remain won by such a narrow margin he'd want a second referendum, funny how that works.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Not sure if this is specifically for Brexit, but best to prepare for the Mad Max Wasteland all the same.

https://twitter.com/polscotcontrol/status/1170645529686134784

The comments are brilliant.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

Police up and down UK tweeting this today... Seems to have caused a mixture or amusement, confusion and worry. Conspiracy theories abound!

https://twitter.com/ThamesVP/status/1170617267433828352

• Registered Users Posts: 12,117 ✭✭✭✭Rjd2

Lol buzzfeed

Buzzfeed is not exactly the most balanced of sites for sure, but Wickham before this spent a lot of time working on the Guido Fawkes site which is very prominent in Tory circles. The "leaks" he published during the tory leadership campaign rarely focused on Boris.

He certainly would have serious connections in Toryland.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,516 ✭✭✭✭Peregrinus

According to UK law it is a perfectly acceptable margin. Id bet you wouldnt be complaining if 51% voted remain. A very typical EU attitude there. They are leaving, deal with it

According to UK law it is a perfectly acceptable margin. Id bet you wouldnt be complaining if 51% voted remain. A very typical EU attitude there. They are leaving, deal with it

The only people not dealing with it are the British. We are dealing with it. We want them gone in a civil and non-chaotic manner.

Is that why you and them keep telling us to deal with it perhaps? Because ye can't? Those failures of politicians complaining that the EU won't offer something out of thin air that will pass a dysfunctional and poisonous parliament.

Yep, you want us to literally deal with it.

According to British law parliament decides not only when and on what terms, but even if, the UK leaves the EU. According to British law, both the margin in the referendum, and its result, are entirely irrelevant. The referendum result has no legal effect of any kind. So the claim that it's a "perfectly acceptable margin" according to UK law is basically meaningless.

The question is not the legal significance of the margin, but its [/i]political[/i] signficance. Politically, what the referendum tells us is that, three years ago, the voting public favoured leaving, but only by a small margin. Three years later, with all that has happened since, and all that has been learned, does the public favour leaving? The referendum result doesn't tell us that.

If you care what the people want - and you may not, of course - you need to look elswhere to find out what that is. Appealing to the refernedum result is probably a bad policy at this point; it suggests that you do care what people want or at least you feel the need to car about that, but you don't care enough actually to find out what it is they want. The more you appeal to the Will of the People, the stronger the case for consulting the people.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,591 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

You d have to hand it to the kid, for that level of stamina, their efforts could go to better use though

The only people not dealing with it are the British. We are dealing with it. We want them gone in a civil and non-chaotic manner.

Is that why you and them keep telling us to deal with it perhaps? Because ye can't? Those failures of politicians complaining that the EU won't offer something out of thin air that will pass a dysfunctional and poisonous parliament.

Yep, you want us to literally deal with it.

No, it is a small minority of them that are in parliament that are dealing with it, and they are not doing what their people told them to do. The only ones who are trying to fulfill the will of the people are Boris and Co.

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    You d have to hand it to the kid, for that level of stamina, their efforts could go to better use though

It doesn't take any stamina when you are correct

• Registered Users Posts: 422 ✭✭Popeleo

Like he said, you must have incredible stamina.

so theres elements of narcissism and immaturity, interesting profile

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    so theres elements of narcissism and immaturity, interesting profile

If they are not gone at the end of October, feel free gloat. Ill be here and would it like a man. I have provided links to back up all of my claims but I understand why people do not believe me when all they consume is the mainstream media. Kay Burley is not going to tell you that the next government is not bound by the current parliament but a quick fact check will.

If they are not gone at the end of October, feel free gloat. Ill be here and would it like a man. I have provided links to back up all of my claims but I understand why people do not believe me when all they consume is the mainstream media. Kay Burley is not going to tell you that the next government is not bound by the current parliament but a quick fact check will.
    A quick fact check will tell you that government is always bound by parliament. Government has to implement the laws passed by previous parliaments as well as the laws passed by the present one. The next government will have to implement all the laws passed by all the parliaments, unless it can persuade parliament to change them. Exactly like the present government, in fact. An election will change precisely nothing whatsoever in this respect, unless it returns a majority to parliament who want the government to do what the present government wants to do.

wtf!

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Why didn't you say lame-stream, fake news media for full effect?
    I have seen very few facts to back up any of your claims.

Let's see if brexit is done by the end of october, but I highly doubt it.

• Advertisement

Its getting a bit personal now lads and lasses, no need for that. I'll deserve apologies after the 31st of October but I wouldn't expect anyone here to eat humble pie.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement