Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

OK, stupid question but...

Brexit passed with a slim margin - why are we not hearing from anyone in government who voted to stay, pushing for another referendum?

Has everyone just jumped on the leave band wagon now and now at this point it is just bickering between the different types of Leave camps.

Labour likely to be a tepid remain party post-conference - or at a minimum - advocating a public vote on a deal.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

By this, do you mean the extension or remaining in general via referendum?

I am opposed to both a second referendum and an extension.
    They've had enough time, they're carrying out what the people voted for.
    October 31st should be the date they leave, deal or no deal,

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

But there is no way of knowing what the people voted for. There is simultaneously and a mandate for everything from Norway to Switzerland to Canada to none of these.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

Leviticus 19:34

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Quick, someone tell Boris!

But there is no way of knowing what the people voted for. There is simultaneously and a mandate for everything from Norway to Switzerland to Canada to none of these.

And representing their constituents, when a multitude of offers was on the table, customs union came closest, the UK should have learned from that and built a deal boilerplated around that option.

Sadly there is an element in the remain and leave camp that absolutely assured the uk getting to this point , be they no dealers or can kickers.

The MP’s should have worked together for an acceptable deal, but they haven’t , extending the deadline will not let them learn that lesson

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

Ahahaha.

Mr Bercow received a standing ovation from the Labour benches after announcing his imminent departure, but most Tory MPs stayed in their seats.

davedanon wrote: »
    Ahahaha.

Mr Bercow received a standing ovation from the Labour benches after announcing his imminent departure, but most Tory MPs stayed in their seats.

Probably glad the man that continuously makes corbyn and jess philips feel mentally inferior is leaving. The tories enjoyed the formal language insults that im sure were common at eaton

• Registered Users Posts: 3,643 ✭✭✭quokula

And representing their constituents, when a multitude of offers was on the table, customs union came closest, the UK should have learned from that and built a deal boilerplated around that option.

Sadly there is an element in the remain and leave camp that absolutely assured the uk getting to this point , be they no dealers or can kickers.

The MP’s should have worked together for an acceptable deal, but they haven’t , extending the deadline will not let them learn that lesson

This is absolutely true, and the customs union option has basically been Labour's position the whole time, but they've been woefully misrepresented and been hammered from both sides. Which is a pity because it would have minimised the harm from Brexit on both sides of the Irish sea and allowed the country to get back to functioning properly.

As the Tories have gone more extreme, Labour are responding by moving more towards a second referendum and campaigning for remain now, as it seems either cancelling Brexit or No Deal are the only options left at this stage.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 39,002 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

When different constuencies want multiple, mutually exclusive things (insofar as one can discern), how are MP's supposed to work together?

The electorate elected a Parliament that was as divided as the country is. A good deal that fulfilled May's absurd red lines was made and then rejected by the people who negotiated it. Brexiters have much more to account for than remainers.

The foreigner residing among you must be treated as your native-born. Love them as yourself, for you were foreigners in Egypt. I am the LORD your God.

yes. Its been 3 years now, they can still form deals after they leave, it might even hurry the process more. This can kicking has to stop and the contrarian forces that will continuously flipflop to prevent any deal succeeding need to be assured that they're leaving.

Its not like buying a horse. Trade deals take on average 28 months to make. What does Britain do in the interim?

• Advertisement

When different constuencies want multiple, mutually exclusive things (insofar as one can discern), how are MP's supposed to work together?

The electorate elected a Parliament that was as divided as the country is. A good deal that fulfilled May's absurd red lines was made and then rejected by the people who negotiated it. Brexiters have much more to account for than remainers.

And I think this is why no deal is preffered to an extension for me. I do not personally see a single way that any deal can be agreed upon in any time frame. So end the time frame.

I think we can all agree no deal is crap, but genuinely, can anyone see any other path to success that everyone at the table could and would agree upon in any time frame.

Its not like buying a horse. Trade deals take on average 28 months to make. What does Britain do in the interim?

Fall to WTO rules and hope nobody tarriffs them, if they take 28 months then theyre already screwed anyway since leaving in october is the job

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

gmisk wrote: »
    Replacement for Bercow could be Chris Bryant......I did love his destruction of Kay Burley in fairness!

Had to google that... It was worth it. :D

Usually when countries have borders, they check people coming through.

Granted, Irish people may not need a visa to visit the UK, but that isn't to say that you won't be delayed getting into the country if there are queues.....unless they do something like allow Irish people to also go into their own citizenship queue....but they could just as easily have two categories - UK and non-UK

I missed a connection through a US airport before because I was stuck in an immigration queue for well over 2 hours. I had the Esta and in any case I actually was only flying through the US and never leaving the airport, but I was still stuck in the queue behind all the rest of the foreigners answering questions about their motives for visiting the US etc.

you've clearly never flown to the UK before.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

J Mysterio wrote: »
    Had to google that... It was worth it. :D
    Oh it is DELICIOUS!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYalpZhG_8&t=257s
    (She is a bit dim in fairness lol...dont lie madam!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 22,032 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

asking for another extension and being granted it would be the biggest tragedy in European politics right now, hopefully somebody rialls up the EU in a backchannel and gets it denied.

I for one am starting to hope that EU27 reject the request for an extension
    I think no one in parliament would have the balls to leave without a deal, so they would have to just cancel all this brexit nonsense and just get on with it.

gmisk wrote: »
    Oh it is DELICIOUS!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mDYalpZhG_8&t=257s
    (She is a bit dim in fairness lol...dont lie madam!!)

She is more than a bit dim.

I remember during the US presidential election she was in New York asking people how they planned to vote. Live on air, she went to a table of, in my eyes obviously Indian(as in Asian) people and asked the first person who they planned to vote for.

"I'm not an American citizen I can't vote".

Neither were the rest of the people at the table. After about the fifth person telling her they couldn't vote the producer sent her to a commercial break.

It didn't occur to her to check with them before she went live.

There was also the Ash Wednesday gaff.

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think no one in parliament would have the balls to leave without a deal, so they would have to just cancel all this brexit nonsense and just get on with it.

Basically thats it, if they get another extension it leaves the can kickers thinking they can just keep doing that , they need to be told theres no more chances so they start dealing

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

She is more than a bit dim.

I remember during the US presidential election she was in New York asking people how they planned to vote. Live on air, she went to a table of, in my eyes obviously Indian(as in Asian) people and asked the first person who they planned to vote for.

"I'm not an American citizen I can't vote".

Neither were the rest of the people at the table. After about the fifth person telling her they couldn't vote the producer sent her to a commercial break.

It didn't occur to her to check with them before she went live.

There was also the Ash Wednesday gaff.
    Oh i forgot about that one!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4Ybxah6xHgU
    Why didnt someone correct her?....the other guy had no idea either in fairness..she did apologise at least

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

A no Deal will hit Britain very hard, in a way they can't understand yet.

It will hurt us, personally I can see a 50% revenue drop.

The rest of the Eurozobe will suffer, enough that they'll be eager to avoid no deal.

It isn't exactly noted for its good growth, economic stabilitu or employment as is.

Significant pain alround and no party can risk No Deal.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

France are already saying no extension, they're sick of the brits. They should never have given them the 2nd extension in June. It should have been sh1t or get off the pot then as you could give them 20yrs and they'll still piss about til the last minute. At least they'd have been dealing with May then and not this troglodyte

Danzy wrote: »

The rest of the Eurozobe will suffer, enough that they'll be eager to avoid no deal.

It isn't exactly noted for its good growth, economic stabilitu or employment as is.

How many more extensions should they be allowed , what will be different about this extension vs the last one ? How much closer are they to getting a deal are they than the last time ?

It will hit Britain worse than us as we can still trade. They're absolutely fcuked in a no deal. No way we're down 50%, we only export 11% to them and that's reducing. Farmers will be worst hit but the EU will have to bail in there and help them out until deals with China etc are completed.

threeball wrote: »
    It will hit Britain worse than us as we can still trade. They're absolutely fcuked in a no deal. No way we're down 50%, we only export 11% to them and that's reducing. Farmers will be worst hit but the EU will have to bail in there and help them out until deals with China etc are completed.

I actually don’t think so, what we lose in exports , we gain in being able to turn the tap on below cost british meat alltogether. Think about tesco, M&S, aldi, almost everything meat based they sell would move to irish producers

City of London finance hub goes in to freefall overnight as they have no passporting agreed yet either.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,778 ✭✭✭✭Kermit.de.frog

How many more extensions should they be allowed , what will be different about this extension vs the last one ? How much closer are they to getting a deal are they than the last time ?

The government is dead on its feet. Either it gets reelected and Brexit is done or a Remain government is elected and Brexit is abandoned. The EU know this. Macron in particular is not prepared to make extending A50 a biannual event.

Jaysus that lad and the original poster have a much more sunny view of varadkar, suppose ‘grass is greener’ and all that,

I actually don’t think so, what we lose in exports , we gain in being able to turn the tap on below cost british meat alltogether. Think about tesco, M&S, aldi, almost everything meat based they sell would move to irish producers

They can't be seen to abandon the Red tractor farmers after this or there will be a civil war in the UK. I agree farmers wont be as badly hit as they say for that reason. They can't import South american beef undercutting their own farmers who work off a similar cost base to ours and so our beef will still be required but a bit more expensive.

• Advertisement

FYI, in Greek mythology Athena assisted Hercules in one of his labours by incapacitating him when he went berserk and murdered his family.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement