Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

Oh, by the way, in case you haven't heard. There is this thing some people have been talking about occasionally on the news or in papers. It's related to a thing called "Brexit" which is a scenario where the UK looks like it will leave the European Union. Your past vast vast experiences of landing in the UK in an airplane might change somewhat after that happens depending on how it goes.

Just letting you know in case you hadn't heard about it

Have you heard about this thing called the "Common Travel Area"?

Obviously when i say common, I mean common as in shared by, not common as in the poor peasants you would never dream of mixing with.

anyway, in this "Common Travel Area" people don't go through immigration, which is why if you land at any airport in the UK from Ireland, you are ushered straight to baggage reclaim and don't actually go through any passport checks and therefore don't have long queues.

But you'd know this if you had ever flown to the UK, although I guess Airforce One probably gets special treatment.

Deciding to be neutral was playing a 'part', just not the one Churchy wanted.

I took part in a parachute jump today.

When I say "took part" I actually meant that i decided not to take part, therefore i took part :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

ChikiChiki wrote: »
    Just catching up now. Varadker made him look like a very very weak and poor leader on the steps.

And that in itself is something else.

The worse Johnson looks to the world,the better chance those British people fooled by his past BS will wake up to the true situation and give him his marching orders!

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

RobMc59 wrote: »
    The worse Johnson looks to the world,the better chance those British people fooled by his past BS will wake up to the true situation and give him his marching orders!

they voted again to not vote, he's suspending parliment, the EU won't give him an extension (hopefully) i think no deal might be an inconvenient reality.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,304 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Aegir wrote: »
    I took part in a parachute jump today.

When I say "took part" I actually meant that i decided not to take part, therefore i took part :rolleyes:

They won't still be whinging about it in 70 years though I bet. :cool:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,182 ✭✭✭✭ILoveYourVibes

they voted again to not vote, he's suspending parliment, the EU won't give him an extension (hopefully) i think no deal might be an inconvenient reality.
    I think so too. Its the only thing to force the UK to make some serious decisions.

Have you heard about this thing called the "Common Travel Area"?

Obviously when i say common, I mean common as in shared by, not common as in the poor peasants you would never dream of mixing with.

anyway, in this "Common Travel Area" people don't go through immigration, which is why if you land at any airport in the UK from Ireland, you are ushered straight to baggage reclaim and don't actually go through any passport checks and therefore don't have long queues.

But you'd know this if you had ever flown to the UK, although I guess Airforce One probably gets special treatment.

A requirement of the CTA is Ireland must copy any changes Britain makes to its Immigration laws. Post Brexit, I forsee changes to Britain's immigration laws which are unpalatable to Ireland. Meaning the CTA's days maybe numbered.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,913 Mod ✭✭✭✭shesty

I hope he doesn't get an extension, to be honest.They can't keep going on like this, it is beginning to affect people's lives/jobs and their decisions.I know a no-deal would be a disaster but at this point I can't see where else they are going to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,614 ✭✭✭cryptocurrency

https://www.thetimes.co.uk/edition/news/brussels-fears-british-pivot-towards-president-trump-is-inevitable-vgcs70cvn

If whitehall and the pentagon want this closer alliance then there is nothing the EU can do about it. All this talk of them acting "billy big gonads" goes out the window. Between this and the daft EU ideas on Tax then you can see why the UK has to go.

A requirement of the CTA is Ireland must copy any changes Britain makes to its Immigration laws. Post Brexit, I forsee changes to Britain's immigration laws which are unpalatable to Ireland. Meaning the CTA's days maybe numbered.

I don’t think it is copy, more like be aligned.

I can’t ever see the CTA being abandoned. We know from all the hard border discussions just how hard stopping freedom of movement would be on this island.

• Advertisement

I don’t think it is copy, more like be aligned.

I can’t ever see the CTA being abandoned. We know from all the hard border discussions just how hard stopping freedom of movement would be on this island.

It was abandoned in 1939.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

EU ideas on Tax

The EU is seeking to make those who benefit most from stable socioeconomic systems pay their fair share instead of parasitic offshoring. Jobs create rich people, rich people do not create jobs.

There are plenty of grim shitholes in the world that won't charge corporations/people a cent in tax and there's a good reason they don't reside there.

The EU is seeking to make those who benefit most from stable socioeconomic systems pay their fair share instead of parasitic offshoring. Jobs create rich people, rich people do not create jobs.

There are plenty of grim shitholes in the world that won't charge corporations/people a cent in tax and there's a good reason they don't reside there.

Britain owns manu crown colonies that are offshore centres and also has the city of London. The EU can't be allowed to infringe on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,904 ✭✭✭✭Donald Trump

There is nothing in CTA arrangements that require or guarantee no checks or queues. It just means that certain entitlements are reciprocated and that citizens of one jurisdiction have rights to live and work in the other. The fact that they might process as a domestic flight when you land from Dublin to somewhere in the UK is a logistical simplification. The benefits of checking everyone is outweighed by the cost and inconvenience. You see, a not insignificant number of people traveling between the two juristdictions would be neither Irish nor British, but still EU citizens. Something of the order of one eight of the population in Ireland is not Irish. But the majority of those are EU nationals. So they can currently enter the UK anyway.

You're getting fairly wound up on an off-the-cuff quip I made about a fella being careful not to drink his duty-free bottle of whiskey while he is waiting to go through immigration.

When is the last time you flew to Dublin and didn't have to show your ID coming through the EU queue at immigration? You can't get landside without going through it. They actually even have lanes of automated machines there now as well as desks. If you are flying back from London before Oct 31st, you should let the immigration fellas know about the CTA. They'd only be delighted.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,293 ✭✭✭pinkyeye

If they are not gone at the end of October, feel free gloat. Ill be here and would it like a man. I have provided links to back up all of my claims but I understand why people do not believe me when all they consume is the mainstream media. Kay Burley is not going to tell you that the next government is not bound by the current parliament but a quick fact check will.

How do I save this post??

pinkyeye wrote: »
    How do I save this post??

Please tell me nobody is disputing his claims. I think my pets may even know the new government is not bound by the commitments of the last in the UK

• Registered Users Posts: 14,822 ✭✭✭✭First Up

Please tell me nobody is disputing his claims. I think my pets may even know the new government is not bound by the commitments of the last in the UK

You need smarter pets.

Sure the current government is apparently not even bound by the their own commitments over there, never mind the previous one!

First Up wrote: »
    You need smarter pets.

Well you are wrong and you need to start reviewing wider sources for your information.

Parliament cannot bind its successors, any form of a Bill of Rights cannot be entrenched, and a subsequent parliament could repeal the act. In the government's words, "[It is our tradition] to allow any Act of Parliament to be amended or repealed by a subsequent Act of Parliament."

No Parliament can bind a future parliament (that is, it cannot pass a law that cannot be changed or reversed by a future Parliament). A valid Act of Parliament cannot be questioned by the court. Parliament is the supreme lawmaker.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,365 ✭✭✭✭McMurphy

This thread on twitter had me watching in disbelief at what in the hells name BoJo was at here with his fidgeting:

https://twitter.com/IanDunt/status/1171052439111442432?s=19

But this reply in particular had me howling at the phone hysterically:D

https://twitter.com/LouisUksov/status/1171052847619878912?s=09

• Advertisement

This thread on twitter had me watching in disbelief at what in the hells name BoJo was at here with his fidgeting:

Someone in RTE is having a laugh anyway by putting this photo on the front page

0012a7f6-600.jpg

Spotlight shining on the DUP again with the original NI backstop coming back into the British public's consciousness.

Someone in RTE is having a laugh anyway by putting this photo on the front page

0012a7f6-600.jpg

On the invisible motorcycle again.

Anyone watch Claire Byrne now? Seems a very bullish DUP

• Registered Users Posts: 8,233 ✭✭✭threeball

Spotlight shining on the DUP again with the original NI backstop coming back into the British public's consciousness.

They'll definitely offload the north into its own deal if they can get a deal for themselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Shoulders back and chest out, defiant more than normal cause they know they are ****ed either way.

The only show that will talk to them now are recorded in Dublin.

Danzy wrote: »
    Shoulders back and chest out, defiant more than normal cause they know they are ****ed either way.

The only show that will talk to them now are recorded in Dublin.

you didn't watch it di you

threeball wrote: »
    They'll definitely offload the north into its own deal if they can get a deal for themselves.

With Westminster essentially outlawing no-deal Tory headbangers can no longer use the NIonlyBS as an excuse to engineer a crash-out so they may feel it's their only viable option.

Boris in the HOC vowing that he won't be asking for that extension.

Earlier today changed his usual script ref the backstop
    "The landing zone is clear to everyone - we need to find a way that the UK does not get locked in the backstop arrangement.

The DUP hear the noise of the bus that's trundling towards them is my guess.

• Advertisement

Boris in the HOC vowing that he won't be asking for that extension.

Earlier today changed his usual script ref the backstop

The DUP hear the noise of the bus that's trundling towards them is my guess.

Corbyn is an absolute disaster at the dispatch box. The Tories are right to just let him speak.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement