Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Will Britain ever just piss off and get on with Brexit? -mod warning in OP (21/12)

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,187 ✭✭✭✭gmisk

Their status in the UK hasn't changed. They cannot argue a breach from a Unionist position imo.
    But if Trimble hasn't already thrown in his hat there will be a challenge, so we shall see soon enough.
    Which Trimble?

• Registered Users Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

gmisk wrote: »
    Which Trimble?

David.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Which Trimble?

David Trimble, and his court case is just waiting an actual proposed change of status for NI. So it’s inevitable any change will be challenged.

David.
    Ah right, I thought it might be his son who is a UUP councillor and pro brexit.

alastair wrote: »
    Not semantic at all.

As his current issue shows. Even with a Majority the bold May was not able to force anything (like the W.A.)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,831 ✭✭✭RobMc59

tigger123 wrote: »
    Tories don't give a ****e about the North, or the DUP. They'll agree to a reimagined backstop and we'll all just get on with our lives.

Its funny that the DUP think anyone cares about them
    People may not care about the DUP but do care about NI and it remaining in the Union .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Portsalon

Portsalon wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that, after Brexit, duty free booze and fags will once again be available on flights and sea journeys between Ireland and Britain?

If so, then Farage, May, Cameron, Boris and the UK electorate all deserve to be cannonised!

Yee ha! https://www.joe.ie/politics/irish-travellers-can-avail-duty-free-shopping-flying-uk-no-deal-brexit-681005

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Several Irish Times journalists seem to be very critical of the Irish government`s approach to Brexit and it made me wonder if any of them were being bribed by the British. Just wondering of course, not accusing anyone of anything. Bribing, to effect the policies or the regime of another country seems to me the sort of thing a very right wing Tory government might do. Bribes, it seems to me would be the sort of thing a certain type of Irish person would accept. Any views on this?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,752 ✭✭✭Allinall

Several Irish Times journalists seem to be very critical of the Irish government`s approach to Brexit and it made me wonder if any of them were being bribed by the British. Just wondering of course, not accusing anyone of anything. Bribing, to effect the policies or the regime of another country seems to me the sort of thing a very right wing Tory government might do. Bribes, it seems to me would be the sort of thing a certain type of Irish person would accept. Any views on this?

The Irish Times, regardless of what it prints, will have zero affect on the outcome of brexit.

So no, I would say there’s no chance of journalists being offered, or taking bribes.

• Registered Users Posts: 36,189 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

• Advertisement

Portsalon wrote: »
    Can anyone confirm that, after Brexit, duty free booze and fags will once again be available on flights and sea journeys between Ireland and Britain?

If so, then Farage, May, Cameron, Boris and the UK electorate all deserve to be cannonised!

Its being reported on RTE News now that they intend to bring back Duty Free in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭realitykeeper

Allinall wrote: »
    The Irish Times, regardless of what it prints, will have zero affect on the outcome of brexit.

So no, I would say there’s no chance of journalists being offered, or taking bribes.

... but perhaps the Brits are bribing other Irish influencers also. Either that or there are just a lot of west Brit types writing for the Irish Times in which case no bribes would be required.

... but perhaps the Brits are bribing other Irish influencers also. Either that or there are just a lot of west Brit types writing for the Irish Times in which case no bribes would be required.

they should all put on the green jersey

• Registered Users Posts: 7,236 ✭✭✭mcmoustache

I think this is more likely. We've always had a few west Brits in the media.

There's probably a few who've grown to love Brexit all by themselves with the way that social media works today.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

A previous Irish Times owner who was a member of British Intelligence took his guidance from Downing Street so nothing is impossible.

In fact the guy at one stage sought urgent help from the British Government in undermining the editorial integrity and independence of his own newspaper.He called the editor at the time (1970s) as a white ******.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,220 ✭✭✭cameramonkey

Its being reported on RTE News now that they intend to bring back Duty Free in the event of a no-deal Brexit.

Every cloud.

Every cloud.
    Let them eat toblerones!

• Registered Users Posts: 27,986 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

The only thing the DUP are 'getting' is a right royal shafting. Without an election they are powerless, and Boris needs (indeed wants) to cut them loose if he wants a deal that allows an October Brexit.
    ELM327 wrote: »
    Interesting from the guardian
    Corbyn confirms that Labour will go into the election proposing a referendum on Brexit, with a credible leave option and remain as the two choices.

https://www.theguardian.com/politics/live/2019/sep/10/anger-abounds-after-parliament-suspended-in-night-of-high-drama-politics-live

If Boris brings back a Ni-only backstop deal (or variation calling it something else) to Parliament from the EU Council, it won't get through without significant Labour support because DUP and some ERG won't back it.

Clever Labour play then is to amend Boris' proposal and put it to referendum with extension to January to allow it to take place. Then Boris can have his election.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,280 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

Thats it , no-deal os what we demand, time to buy shares i every offo up north

• Registered Users Posts: 10,117 ✭✭✭✭Junkyard Tom

Aegir wrote: »
    The GFA excuse is just that, an excuse.

An excuse for what by who?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,246 ✭✭✭✭Dyr

A government fell over the tapping of phones of journalists back in the day, one of whom went onto become editor of the IT. There was always rumblings that haughey had bloody good reason to be tapping certain phones.

• Registered Users Posts: 69,305 ✭✭✭✭FrancieBrady

Bambi wrote: »
    A government fell over the tapping of phones of journalists back in the day, one of whom went onto become editor of the IT. There was always rumblings that haughey had bloody good reason to be tapping certain phones.

And one of them endeared themselves to Brexiteers recently too, funnily enough. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,858 ✭✭✭✭Danzy

Bambi wrote: »

In fairness there was an awful lot of phones tapped that were business rivals, opponents of FF, opponents of certain Ministers in FF itself.

Let them eat toblerones!

Except that they've ruined Toblerone

• Registered Users Posts: 11,035 ✭✭✭✭J Mysterio

• Registered Users Posts: 19,309 ✭✭✭✭alastair

Duty free would only be on ferries and flights to the U.K. Off-licences in NI would still level duty. If you want to buy shares in anything it’d be Stena, Irish Ferries, or DAA Duty Free.
    Thats it , no-deal os what we demand, time to buy shares i every offo up north

• Registered Users Posts: 21,059 ✭✭✭✭Ash.J.Williams

this is interesting
    https://www.ft.com/content/1955d464-c926-11e9-af46-b09e8bfe60c0?segmentId=09cf3415-e461-2c4a-a8cc-80acc4846679

the paragraph where cameron tried to out muscle the EU reminds of how we got to this point!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,062 ✭✭✭davedanon

this is interesting
    https://www.ft.com/content/1955d464-c926-11e9-af46-b09e8bfe60c0?segmentId=09cf3415-e461-2c4a-a8cc-80acc4846679

the paragraph where cameron tried to out muscle the EU reminds of how we got to this point!

That's a brilliant reminder/overview piece. Cheers.

Is anybody at all talking about who is going to make the massive financial killings on Brexit?

Is George Soros up to anything? Surely some funds are circling to replicate his 1992 Black Wednesday?

Aside from your average cock-fight attending smuggler in the border counties making a fortune with a hard Brexit, who else is going to profit?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,127 ✭✭✭Odhinn

Is anybody at all talking about who is going to make the massive financial killings on Brexit?

Is George Soros up to anything? Surely some funds are circling to replicate his 1992 Black Wednesday?

Aside from your average cock-fight attending smuggler in the border counties making a fortune with a hard Brexit, who else is going to profit?

Customs lads with the overtime? New jobs monitoring cross border movement of goods......

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement